Releasing steam...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Releasing steam...
So, I am well aware that I am very new to the forum and none of you have had a chance to get to know me yet, but I had a experience today and I really need to vent whats in my heart, so here goes...

Something none of you know about me is I am an amateur musician. I have had the honor to play along side some of the best musicians Michigan has today. Most of them are complete unknowns to the rest of the world, but in our rather large music community, they are very well known and respected. A group of them are called the Earthworks Music Collective. A couple of years ago, a budding talent wandered into our mists and completely blew us away. His name is Patrick Carroll. Now, I do not know Pat very well personally, though I have played music with him a couple times. I do, however, know Pat Very Well musically because after listening to his music, I know without a doubt, that our creativity comes from the same dark place... except that he is much better at it than I am. I have learned a lot from Pat over these last couple of years just by catching his show at a local pub or just sitting at home listening to his tracks. Very. Deep. Stuff.

Now, you all may be wondering "Why is he telling us all of this? What is there to vent about?" Well, today I found out that my friend-in-music, Patrick Carroll, passed away. Pat was born with Cystic Fibrosis and 5 years ago, survived a double lung transplant. However, last fall, while mixing and mastering his latest (and I suppose last) creative venture, Pat began to feel the effects of chronic rejection... of both lungs. He was immediately placed back on the transplant list (after careful screening, of course) and has been trying to stay healthy until he received the call. But about 3 weeks ago, Pat somehow came into contact with a fungal infection which invaded his heavily damaged lungs. He was taken off the list until the doctors could find a way to treat the problem and stabilize him. This Morning, Pat could fight no more. He was 26 years old...

I would like to thank you all for giving me this space to vent my sadness and focus my thoughts. This forum is one of the only places I actually feel safe talking about things like this. Everywhere else, there is a part of me that is fearful of the inevitable, "He's with God Now!" or "God called him Home"... Whatever! Those cliches do NOT help in anyway.

My friend Pat may be laying a pine box covered in dirt, but his legacy was left in my heart....

“My view is that if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vagas's post
31-05-2013, 09:24 PM
RE: Releasing steam...
My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
31-05-2013, 09:29 PM
If you have the ability, you should post some of his stuff so that his legacy might live on a bit through us too. I'd love to give it a listen. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Condolences, man. 26; so very young. You and he were both very lucky he had what little extra time he got from his transplant. He sounded like a very productive and dynamic guy.

I do hope you got as much recorded of your friend as possible. If not video, at least sound. You might try soundcloud.com they're pretty cool (basic levels are free) and sharing is easy.

It would be great to hear some of his work. Head over to the music forum and load a couple of tracks onto a thread. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-06-2013, 12:42 AM

I'm sorry you lost a friend-in-music.

I kind of know how you feel, because I loved Nirvana, and I really respected Cobain's music.

Maybe what's more troubling is thinking about your own mortality at a time like this, or maybe what his music represented to you and the loss of its continuing influence. When the world, me included, lost Kurt Cobain, I was 29 at the time, I knew that it was the end of my involvement in the music of the day. My era was over. Generation X was over, and that all 8th house stuff (in astrology the 8th house is the house of death, regeneration, and reincarnation). From that day on, I had to start getting old.

But if the consciousness that is out there creates a soul, that soul has to exist in a unique universe all its own. I call it the lucid spiritual plane. We all have one. That’s where he is now, and he may reincarnate. He may have reincarnated hundreds of times over thousands of years. In this last incarnation, he needed to be a musician, but he didn’t need all the other crap and suffering that comes with a long life.

In the future, consider posting personal stuff like this in the personal support section. A person can’t be challenged in there. Presumably, even I can’t be challenged in there.

Anyway, here’s to the people that inspired us. I'm glad your friend taught you a lot.

[Image: kurt-cobain.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear that about your friend, if you ever need someone to talk to my PM's are always open.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.