Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Religion.
The one that I got taught throughout my life through state education was christianity. I know a little bit about most other religions but its not there contents I wish to discuss, seeing as I think most of us do not believe in it.

Something happened just over 2011 years ago.......what do you peeps think happened??? Do you think Jesus was maybe like todays OWS supporters and although he may not have had any "mystical powers" he may have been a revoloutionary that upset the authoritys way of handling the people?

Do you think it was all just a story.......that everything was not loosely based on different circumstances and it was all made up?

Like everything in the bible I suppose its all open to personal interpretation.

Which leads me to my next question........if none of the events happened then how did christianity still become so widespread..........who and what was the driving force behind it.........was it really just a group of people who wrote the story for an agenda to control peoples faith and ultimatly how they will lead most of there life???

If you really believe that its all just made up bullshit then how do you feel that this "propaganda" is embedded into everybodys mind at a young age.........normally through state education........is it all just pre-programming of morals???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2012, 09:23 PM
RE: Religion.
(16-02-2012 09:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  ... if none of the events happened then how did christianity still become so widespread...

It's a virus which affects reason and has taken us a while to find a vaccine for. That's all.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-02-2012, 09:31 PM
I dont believe the vast majority of events written about Jesus happened and the rest I'm sure didn't happen as written. For all the atheist apologists... There's just no proof.

As for how Christianity became popular I recommend taking a look at the history of scientology. A religion pretty mug everyone agrees is horseshit and yet still exists (though recent studies show it is losing major ground thanks to the Internet) it is a prime example of how gibberish can spread. Or Mormonism. Or .... Well you get te picture. This kid of thing has a way of happening over and over again. No proof required.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I think Jesus existed. Don't believe he's the son of God though.

I think going back 2000 years it must have been reasonably easy for a knew religion to get off the ground. Scientific knowledge was practically zero meaning people were used to hearing about things they previously thought impossible spoken of as fact, and the only access to information was word of mouth. Add in the fact that practically the whole world believed in the existence of a deity or deities and you got a perfect recipe for bullshit belief systems to sprout up.

I don't even think Christianity was particularly different from most of the other religions to spring up in that time period. It was probably just in the right place and the right time and also pretty lucky. It's probably mostly sheer coincidence that we aren't all worshipping one of the other monotheistic religions that existed at the time.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
16-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Julius Caesar happened. Anything else is hypothesis. Wink

Christianity and Anno Domino are just useful tools for the power structure. Seems this shit only surfaces in herd mentalities. Now that I'm out of the desert and into a more normal environment; this shit doesn't feel so oppressive. Lotta atheism in The Woo. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-02-2012, 09:54 PM
I think he may well have existed.
Probably the best analogy given so far about the beginning of Christianity would be 'The Life Of Brian' by Monty Python.
I always find it intriguing that Christianity took off since jesus was supposed to be a jew - now that's freakin' weird.
Scientology - now that's pretty fucked up! I remember seeing an episode on South Park about Tom Cruise and Scientology and they kept flashing 'This is what they actually believe' down the bottom of the screen and I was thinking, 'What the..?'
Apparently Tom tried to have it banned - suck shit and die, Tom Thumb lol

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 4 users Like aurora's post
16-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Actually the amount of pressure placed on the tv studio "forced' them to sign a contract stating that particular episode wouldn't air on tv again. It has since, but rarely, and its also available on the internet for free. However it made the voice of chef resign his contract with the show. Because he was a Scientologist.

I've been reading a lot about it recently due to a recent Skeptic magazine I purchased. Chock full of good info. Forced me to do some of my own investigative research.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
16-02-2012, 10:03 PM
(16-02-2012 09:58 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Actually the amount of pressure placed on the tv studio "forced' them to sign a contract stating that particular episode wouldn't air on tv again. It has since, but rarely, and its also available on the internet for free. However it made the voice of chef resign his contract with the show. Because he was a Scientologist.

I've been reading a lot about it recently due to a recent Skeptic magazine I purchased. Chock full of good info. Forced me to do some of my own investigative research.

There's a lot of controversy around Isaac Hayes' departure. There's speculation that the decision may not have been taken by him, or that he wasn't with it enough to take the decision properly as he had just suffered a stroke.

And on the topic of censorship on religious grounds episodes 200 and 201 were removed from the DVD release over here due to the whole Muhammed thing.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-02-2012, 10:24 PM
A friend of mine used to work for a Naturopath who was going through Scientology 'training' in the US. She had even mortgaged her house so she could be 'enlightened' by these fucking crazy people. Her family basically fell apart whilst she was giving all her money away to become a douche-bag!
Total lunacy Sad

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
16-02-2012, 10:31 PM
(16-02-2012 09:54 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I think he may well have existed.
Probably the best analogy given so far about the beginning of Christianity would be 'The Life Of Brian' by Monty Python.
I always find it intriguing that Christianity took off since jesus was supposed to be a jew - now that's freakin' weird.
Scientology - now that's pretty fucked up! I remember seeing an episode on South Park about Tom Cruise and Scientology and they kept flashing 'This is what they actually believe' down the bottom of the screen and I was thinking, 'What the..?'
Apparently Tom tried to have it banned - suck shit and die, Tom Thumb lol

I got two problems with historicity: the LC and the Pauline Israelite hypothesis. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]