Religion: Add to the list of consequences!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2011, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 10:43 PM by FreeAtheism.)
Religion: Add to the list of consequences!
Religion has caused too much: All nine of the Christian Crusades(1096-1272), The Spanish Inquisition(1478-1834), The War on Terrorism(2001-Still going), The slaughtering of thousands of Jews, the suppression of women and homosexuals.

The inability to think or question religious doctrines, faith-based child abuse, simplistic thinking, the evangelical movement, self- sacrifice for the lord, great fear of life, recently blowing up children's schools, stoning children, suicide bombings.... A control system which pays nothing for their destruction

Needless to say, Religion has fucked up politics and education

I didn't feel like adding all the horrible things that religion has done, so feel free to add to the list.

Alternatively, you can add something positive that religion has done, if you can find one.

In my view, the only way to end these atrocities in our the world is to end Religion.(There may be other atrocities out of our hand, but religion causes the most.)

There almost certainly is no god. Why continue a cycle of abuse that has only corrupted and destroyed humanity? Let logic and reason lead our future. Religion has had it's run with humanity and it's time to end this nonsense. Our only hope is for something new.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FreeAtheism's post
01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
RE: Religion: Add to the list of consequences!
if i were to give an account of the good things religion has done i would saw the advancement of the arts and science during the renaissance period. the preservasion of history and the crusades.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I think the most dangerous aspect of religion is that it helps prevent society from progressing.

Take misogyny for example. Misogyny wasn't invented by organised religion, it was a societal practice. Religions tend to incorporate the societal practices of their time, therefore Christianity can be very misogynistic. Societal practices aren't set in stone so eventually people realised that misogyny was wrong and ceased to discriminate against women. However religion IS set in stone as the word of God cannot suddenly change. Therefore an outdated and socially rejected trait continues to be practised and promoted by the followers of Christianity long after it should have died out all together.

That is the most dangerous aspect of religion, it takes old, outdated morals that should no longer be applicable in modern society and makes them relevant.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
(01-10-2011 01:35 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  The War on Terrorism(2001-Still going)

Technically, The War on Terrorism isn't a direct cause of religion. Muslim Terrorism is caused by religion, and the war is caused by that. Sure, there are assholes who focus on the muslim part, and not the 'blowing up buildings full of innocent people' part, but that doesn't undermine the very legitimate secular reasons for wanting to stop muslims killing people because their religion says so.

Even if you want to say the terrorists are themselves just responding to actions by the united states and other western nations, those morally questionable actions were not religious, but based on self-interest.

And I also agree that many ills are not originated in religion, but that religion definitely perpetuates them or makes them worse. For the misogyny example, there are still women today who think they have to submit to their husbands. Religion not only perpetuates evil, but it convinces the oppressed that they should accept their lot. Not because they can't escape it, but because their shitty position is the way it's supposed to be.
03-10-2011, 06:38 AM
It’s a popular misconception that the church somehow ‘sponsored’ the renaissance. This is absolute nonsense, but not the topic of the OP and for another forum post.

Some consequences from the reformation:

* 100,000 dead in the German Catholic/Protestant conflict in 1525

* The thirty years war, started over religion – resulted in an estimated 30% population decrease in Germany.

* France – Eight wars, 11 battles, 2 massacres (somewhere between 5,000 and 30,000), 2 Kings assassinated and untold misery between 1562 and 1598

* UK - 1 King (Charles I), several queens and (estimates) 3.7% decrease of the English population, 6% decreases in Scotland and a whopping 41% decrease in Ireland.

* The Dutch win the award for persistance – 80 years (although they did take a 12 year break)

The consequences of religion? Genocide briefly interrupted by hypocrisy.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 12:14 PM by Crucify This!.)
(01-10-2011 01:35 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  All nine of the Christian Crusades(1096-1272), The Spanish Inquisition(1478-1834), The War on Terrorism(2001-Still going),the suppression of women and homosexuals, the condoning of slavery, child rape, sexism, the inability to think or question religious doctrines, faith-based child abuse, simplistic thinking, the evangelical movement, self- sacrifice for the lord, burning witches, great fear of life, recently blowing up children's schools, stoning children, suicide bombings....

You should credit Bill Maher. Most recently, I saw this video on LiveLeak, nothing like a little violence in religion.
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
(03-10-2011 12:10 PM)Crucify This! Wrote:  
(01-10-2011 01:35 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  All nine of the Christian Crusades(1096-1272), The Spanish Inquisition(1478-1834), The War on Terrorism(2001-Still going),the suppression of women and homosexuals, the condoning of slavery, child rape, sexism, the inability to think or question religious doctrines, faith-based child abuse, simplistic thinking, the evangelical movement, self- sacrifice for the lord, burning witches, great fear of life, recently blowing up children's schools, stoning children, suicide bombings....

You should credit Bill Maher. Most recently, I saw this video on LiveLeak, nothing like a little violence in religion.

Hahahahahahahaha, I owe it to Bill Maher. My friend and I were running through a list of all the horrible things that have been caused by religion and now I see where some of his ideas came from hahaha.... Anyways, both videos were very interesting.

The video about the Nuns was pretty messed up.
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
It's a shame that the reasons listed above aren't sufficient, in most other first world countries, "faith" in a supreme being is considered risible. I think religion has a strong foothold in politics and education. Mainly, it's unfortunate that religion can dictate what is taught in public schools.

"Religion is detrimental towards our progress as humans beings" - Bill Maher
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
(01-10-2011 01:35 AM)FreeAtheism Wrote:  Alternatively, you can add something positive that religion has done, if you can find one.

Memorizing and reciting Bible passages daily from the ages of 5-15 yo has endowed me with a peculiarly keen memory. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I have something to add.

Religion has caused me to get into 4 large physical fights in the past year. My hands hurt from punching people so much.

I don't go round instigating by the way. They started it. They outnumbered me 3 to 1 and I still showed them who's boss......sorry I shouldn't be bragging aobut hurting people. Ah who am I kidding? It was GREAT!

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!