Religion Does Not Deserve To Be Treated The Same As Ethnicity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 04:22 PM
Religion Does Not Deserve To Be Treated The Same As Ethnicity
While waiting in line for coffee this morning, the two people directly ahead of me were having some conversation about politics and religion, and one of them says "Religion needs to be treated like ethnicity. It's something that should not be criticized." His friend wholeheartedly agreed with him. Of course, I really wanted to add my own opinion into this, but I'm not one of those people that simply inserts themselves into some conversation between two people they don't know, just so they can add in their 2 cents.

This attitude, though supported by much of our society, is bullshit. It's bullshit because religion is an opinion. No religion can prove that it is right and all others are wrong. People do not get to choose what color skin they are born with, or what country they are born in. This is why criticizing people for the color of their skin or their nationality is frowned upon.

Now, I know what a lot of people are thinking when they hear this: "Well, people don't get to choose whether they are born into a family with Christian, Muslim, or Hindu beliefs either!" No, they don't. They also don't get to choose whether they are born into a family that has strong Democratic or Republican beliefs either. However, political views and religious views are things that people can change, and pretty much everyone agrees that political opinions, and all other opinions in general, are absolutely open to scrutiny. Things like: who is the best quarterback in the NFL, which restaurant has the best seafood, what manufacturer makes the best car, etc. The list could go on forever. If you asked people "Why are these things open to scrutiny? Why are these things able to be criticized?", you'll get the same response pretty much every time: "Because those are just opinions!" But that's exactly what religion is too! It's an opinion! Not one religion can prove that it is true and all others are false. Religions rely on faith, not facts!

So how is it fair that religion gets this special treatment? Why do people like Dawkins and Hitchens have to be labeled as assholes for criticizing an institution that, in itself, suggests that some people are more special than others? All of a sudden, just because it's religion, they need to handle the situation with kid gloves? We certainly don't expect our politicians to handle their opponents like this, do we? Years ago I used to think that guys like Dawkins and Hitchens should be more sensitive, but I've seen that it's unfair to hold that against them. They are blatantly criticizing the hypocrisy and bullshit that exists in religions, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If somebody said "I'm special because I'm White" or "I'm special because I'm Chinese", they'd get heavily criticized for it, as they should. Yet, when somebody says "I'm special because I'm Christian", then that is perfectly fine, and it's unfair to allow such a thing to be criticized. WTF?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
29-04-2014, 04:56 PM
RE: Religion Does Not Deserve To Be Treated The Same As Ethnicity
When religions demand respect, they are inadvertently revealing their fragility. What they really mean is, "we don't want our beliefs challenged."

Okay fair enough... I'm willing to let people believe any bullshit they like, and not to bother them about it.

The problem is, religions demand respect for their own beliefs, but don't show the same level of respect to other religions. More so, they often not only lack respect for non-believers, but frequently threaten, harass and demonize atheists.

I will respect religions, when they respect each other, and my decision to not have one.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
29-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Changing ethnicity is a thing of the past. Was invented the 40's. The 2040's.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
30-04-2014, 01:00 AM
It's already happening to an extent, if you criticise Muslims you're an islamaphobe! It's a classic trap from the overtly politically correct. ... We don't want criticism of x, slap a 'phobia' sticker on it.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
30-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Religious beliefs are simply not above reproach.
30-04-2014, 09:00 AM
I completely agree. They're not the same at all. Religion followers don't want to be criticized, but they sure don't mind pointing out to everyone else that they have the "wrong" point of view. When is the last time you heard someone say "You should become <insert ethnic group>, it's better"? People don't say this because they know it's impossible which drives home the point that it's in a different category from religion. Besides, if the religious want respect, they need to be respectful themselves of others.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
30-04-2014, 09:29 AM
People have the right to believe what they want. The belief doesn't have the right to be immune from criticism.

People are far too senstive to criticism these days. The hypocracy also amuses me that they can scream bloody murder to everyone else, not limited to condemning others to hell for not believing the same as them.