Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Religion Foreshadowing Science
Hey!

Not usually a huge fan of this, but sometimes I feel religion can foreshadow science.

Example:

"Now, I, [Vairocana Buddha] am sitting atop a lotus pedestal; On a thousand flowers surrounding me are a thousand Sakyamuni Buddhas. Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood. All these innumerable Buddhas have Vairocana as their original body."

~~~ Brahma Net Sutta (I am fairly sure)

Does that also remind you of parallel universes?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2013, 05:51 PM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
Eh..religion was the very first attempts to figure the world out. They got tons wrong a little right, but it would be a huge mistake going back to our very first attempts.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 3 users Like grizzlysnake's post
22-11-2013, 05:53 PM
(22-11-2013 05:51 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Eh..religion was the very first attempts to figure the world out. They got tons wrong a little right, but it would be a huge mistake going back to our very first attempts.
Personaly I think the idea of animism as in everything that has a soul, everything built by it or is connected. soul = metaphor for atoms. A nice thought I guess.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
22-11-2013, 05:55 PM
(22-11-2013 05:51 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Eh..religion was the very first attempts to figure the world out. They got tons wrong a little right, but it would be a huge mistake going back to our very first attempts.

Well, yeah, but do you think that Vairocana's meditation here sounds like parallel universes? Why do you think that?
22-11-2013, 05:59 PM

In my opinion, equating "world" with "universe" rather than "planet" is a clear form of hindsight bias. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
22-11-2013, 09:12 PM
WOO ALERT Prophets have visions derived from the silence of the void, at times translations of those visions give the appearance of universality, however, giving credence to mere translation depreciates void /WOO

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-11-2013, 09:39 PM
To continue off of grizzlysnake's assessment: Religion was humanity's first draft version of explaining things we didn't have the technology to understand yet. It was observation, but not quite up to the standards of science.

For example: If a specific cultural considered a species of vine sacred, and renowned it for it's "healing" properties, it was because they spent generations observing it's effects on humans. (When people ate the leaves of that vine it gave them more energy, when they rubbed it's sap on their wounds the wounds healed faster, etc.) Then in modern times we analyze extracts of that vine and find a high concentration of antioxidants that accounted for those unique properties. It's still just human observation with a physical explanation (modern) instead of a spiritual one (ancient.) No strings attached in the modern physical observation. In the ancient world you had to make sacrifices to the goddess who created that vine or you family would be cursed for ten generations.

I know the example I gave was very crude and simple. But I think it could apply to more complex ideas. As superstitious as they were, ancient cultures were smarter than we give them credit for.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post
22-11-2013, 10:40 PM
(22-11-2013 05:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Not usually a huge fan of this, but sometimes I feel religion can foreshadow science.

Example:

"Now, I, [Vairocana Buddha] am sitting atop a lotus pedestal; On a thousand flowers surrounding me are a thousand Sakyamuni Buddhas. Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood. All these innumerable Buddhas have Vairocana as their original body."

Except the fellow we know as "Buddha" never said that shit. Mahayanists tried to stuff a lot of stupid horseshit into his mouth.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
22-11-2013, 10:44 PM
If past religious observations were remotely factual.
Then you might have a point.
But they are all vague ramblings we reconfigure into prophetic allegory's to what ever bias agenda we approached it with.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-11-2013, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2013 08:12 AM by The_Thinking_Theist.)
(22-11-2013 10:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 05:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Example:

Except the fellow we know as "Buddha" never said that shit. Mahayanists tried to stuff a lot of stupid horseshit into his mouth.

No. That was not Siddhartha speaking. It was Vaircona. You have failed. Big Grin