Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
(01-12-2013 12:00 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:54 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You're wasting your breathTongue let it go, its gonna be like domesticating zebra.
[Image: zeb.png] It is possible.

Anything's possible.Thumbsup [Image: article-0-0D17345C000005DC-85_634x434.jpg]
Riding a zebra doesn't equal domesticationTongue
What I'm saying that with TTT you can only get so far before he starts snapping at ya with more workarounds. Know your target, he has a god of his own invention from a misapprehension from a meditation. Its just gonna be silly trying to beat sense into something like that. Maybe check his previous posts. He very well could just be making shit up, trolling all you fools lol

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
(01-12-2013 11:50 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:34 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm not a Christian.
Then what you a deist ? eitherway you haven't really provided any info about "your" god much less demanding me to use capital "G"
Quote:And I only thought the Indic religions had 145,000 Gods or so?
Pardon me for using hyperbole to state my point,now would you tell me how can you fix omnipotence&omniscience paradox ?

And more to the point.. how the hell do you know that "your" god is omnipotent&omniscient ? where in the bloody hell are you deriving these specifics from ?
Quote:And aren't many of them avatars or Devas?
Yes but they are considered alter egos of Gods or split personalities.
Quote:And how could God not be all loving with all the compassion in the world
that's selective/partial loving.. not "ALL" loving.. for it to be "ALL LOVING" there has to be love&peace everywhere whereas it is not the case here.

I'm a clear cut Theist, no religion for me.

Every time I try and give info they say I'm using flowery language and curse me out.

And I have witnessed God through meditation, so that's how I see His kindness and such everywhere.

And there is love and peace everywhere, in in every moment be it banal, terrifying or profound. It's there, ready to be experienced. Because of the inherent superiority of good things over evil things, and that there are equal or more than the amount of good things over the bad, the universe ends up being ruled by an omnibenevolent God.
01-12-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 04:10 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(01-12-2013 12:13 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  he has a god of his own invention from a misapprehension from a meditation. Its just gonna be silly trying to beat sense into something like that.
Well he's not adhering to any religion so he HAS to back up his "my God is ______" Claims with something.

talking with people like him is almost like taming a zebra.. its hard,no one bothers with it but the ones who do have to deal with the irrational behavior if they want to befriend it.
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm a clear cut Theist, no religion for me.
Well that just kinda makes things harder to discuss now.. because you're not predisposed to the general concepts of God&spirituality in general with a religious theist its easy to pin point their beliefs because of their religions.(for ex:talking snakes in the bible)

Please feel free to answer these questions :-

1) What is your definition of a God ? do you think there are also other Gods ?

2) How do you think the universe works ?

3) How do you explain the lack of evidence for any type of supernatural entity ?

4) How do you differentiate your God from the bazillion of other "Kind,loving all powerful,all knowing" gods ?

5) How did you assume specifics like "my god is all powerful,all knowing" ?
Quote:And I have witnessed God through meditation, so that's how I see His kindness and such everywhere.
Really ? like how do you define that experience like ? it needs more elaborate details then just "I just saw God in meditation" sorry that's not enough.
Quote:And there is love and peace everywhere, in in every moment be it banal, terrifying or profound. It's there, ready to be experienced. Because of the inherent superiority of good things over evil things, and that there are equal or more than the amount of good things over the bad, the universe ends up being ruled by an omnibenevolent God.
Okay you might be optimistic about things but you cannot assume this cliched "Therefore God did it"

Its just so cliched... showing two irrevelant things and then saying "see it all makes perfect sense!"
[Image: tumblr_mevs215AFw1rvhgbfo1_500.jpg]

And even then i fail to realize what our own emotions like love&peace have to do with anything supernatural it is just a stimuil created by our brains to keep us healthy.
[+] 2 users Like IndianAtheist's post
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2013 03:11 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:13 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  he has a god of his own invention from a misapprehension from a meditation. Its just gonna be silly trying to beat sense into something like that.
Well he's not adhering to any religion so he HAS to back up his "my God is ______" Claims with something.

talking with people like him is almost like taming a zebra.. its hard,no one bothers with it but the ones who do have to deal with the irrational behavior if they want to befriend it.
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm a clear cut Theist, no religion for me.
Well that just kinda makes things harder to discuss now.. because you're not predisposted to the general concepts of God&spirituality in general with a religious theist its easy to pin point their beliefs because of thier religions.(for ex:talking snakes in the bible)

3) How do you explain the lack of evidence for any type of supernatural entity ?

4) How do you differenciate your God from the bazillion of other "Kind,loving all powerful,all knowing" gods ?

Quote:And I have witnessed God through meditation, so that's how I see His kindness and such everywhere.
Really ? like how do you define that experince like ? it needs more elbaorate details then just "I just saw God in meditation" sorry that's not enough.
Quote:And there is love and peace everywhere, in in every moment be it banal, terrifying or profound. It's there, ready to be experienced. Because of the inherent superiority of good things over evil things, and that there are equal or more than the amount of good things over the bad, the universe ends up being ruled by an omnibenevolent God.
Okay you might be optimistic about things but you cannot assume this cliched "Therefore God did it"

Its just so cliched... showing two irrevelant things and then saying "see it all makes perfect sense!"
Well you got more patience than me. Have fun going down the rabbit holeBig Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
(01-12-2013 03:11 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  

Well that just kinda makes things harder to discuss now.. because you're not predisposted to the general concepts of God&spirituality in general with a religious theist its easy to pin point their beliefs because of thier religions.(for ex:talking snakes in the bible)

4) How do you differenciate your God from the bazillion of other "Kind,loving all powerful,all knowing" gods ?

Really ? like how do you define that experince like ? it needs more elbaorate details then just "I just saw God in meditation" sorry that's not enough.

And even then i fail to realize what our own emotions like love&peace have to do with anything supernatural it is just a stimuil created by our brains to keep us healthy.

So you wanna say anything about the OP?
01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
(01-12-2013 03:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  So you wanna say anything about the OP?

Yes. It's silly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2013, 03:53 PM
(01-12-2013 03:11 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_mevs215AFw1rvhgbfo1_500.jpg]

Better not let Heywood see that; it's all he's got to cling to.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
(22-11-2013 05:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Not usually a huge fan of this, but sometimes I feel religion can foreshadow science.

Example:

"Now, I, [Vairocana Buddha] am sitting atop a lotus pedestal; On a thousand flowers surrounding me are a thousand Sakyamuni Buddhas. Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood. All these innumerable Buddhas have Vairocana as their original body."

~~~ Brahma Net Sutta (I am fairly sure)

Does that also remind you of parallel universes?

NO, every fucking religion pulls this shit. Most recently I actually had a Hindu argue his texts matched science.

I've even gotten this from si fi nuts who love Star Trek, "Predicted the cell phone".

Once I had a guy argue that Aquinus knew about QM. He damned near beat the shit out of me when I asked him to provide evidence.

I've also had Muslims argue a red nebula is predicted in the Koran because of a verse that talks about "red skies".

The ancient Egyptians could point to the sun, but that did not mean they knew scientifically what the sun was made of. Saying "The sky is blue" does not mean you know scientifically why we see the sky as that color.

Ambiguous quotes that "seem" to match reality are merely the person reading it after the fact, like humans see shapes in the clouds.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
(01-12-2013 03:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  So you wanna say anything about the OP?
Only if you wanna say something about my post but if you insist there's nothing really substantial about buddha's quote.
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
(01-12-2013 04:06 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 05:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Not usually a huge fan of this, but sometimes I feel religion can foreshadow science.

Example:

"Now, I, [Vairocana Buddha] am sitting atop a lotus pedestal; On a thousand flowers surrounding me are a thousand Sakyamuni Buddhas. Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood. All these innumerable Buddhas have Vairocana as their original body."

~~~ Brahma Net Sutta (I am fairly sure)

Does that also remind you of parallel universes?

NO, every fucking religion pulls this shit. Most recently I actually had a Hindu argue his texts matched science.

I've even gotten this from si fi nuts who love Star Trek, "Predicted the cell phone".

Once I had a guy argue that Aquinus knew about QM. He damned near beat the shit out of me when I asked him to provide evidence.

I've also had Muslims argue a red nebula is predicted in the Koran because of a verse that talks about "red skies".

The ancient Egyptians could point to the sun, but that did not mean they knew scientifically what the sun was made of. Saying "The sky is blue" does not mean you know scientifically why we see the sky as that color.

Ambiguous quotes that "seem" to match reality are merely the person reading it after the fact, like humans see shapes in the clouds.

Hmm, so you don't read the post thoroughly?

The question was:
Quote:Does this also remind you of parallel universes?

And how can it not? No reason to go crazy over it. Everyone always goes crazy when I make a thread involving God. It doesn't mean I want a debate, I want an answer.