Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
(01-12-2013 05:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Here's the thing, TTT.

You've got some woo in hand and you're kludging your way through scriptures trying to find a place to fit it.

Given the long (very long), rambling, discursive, disjointed nature of most scripture, you will find something. The mistake lies in thinking this means anything...

Despite the rude comment about 'woo', I think we have are first real answer in a while.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 06:06 PM
(01-12-2013 05:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not particularly.

Now you're just being obtuse.

No, I am just not make silly leaps like you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
(01-12-2013 06:05 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 05:57 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Here's the thing, TTT.

You've got some woo in hand and you're kludging your way through scriptures trying to find a place to fit it.

Given the long (very long), rambling, discursive, disjointed nature of most scripture, you will find something. The mistake lies in thinking this means anything...

Despite the rude comment about 'woo', I think we have are first real answer in a while.

You've put forth nothing but woo. S'not rude, it's just true.

That you're seeking pattern-matching antecedents belies the fact that no supposed "foreshadowing" ever occurred; if you're looking for vague, post-hoc matches you will find them.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
(01-12-2013 11:50 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:34 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm not a Christian.
Then what you a deist ? eitherway you haven't really provided any info about "your" god much less demanding me to use capital "G"
Quote:And I only thought the Indic religions had 145,000 Gods or so?
Pardon me for using hyperbole to state my point,now would you tell me how can you fix omnipotence&omniscience paradox ?

And more to the point.. how the hell do you know that "your" god is omnipotent&omniscient ? where in the bloody hell are you deriving these specifics from ?
Quote:And aren't many of them avatars or Devas?
Yes but they are considered alter egos of Gods or split personalities.
Quote:And how could God not be all loving with all the compassion in the world
that's selective/partial loving.. not "ALL" loving.. for it to be "ALL LOVING" there has to be love&peace everywhere whereas it is not the case here.

He just makes his shit up as he goes along, It's what pathological liars do.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 11:50 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Then what you a deist ? eitherway you haven't really provided any info about "your" god much less demanding me to use capital "G"Pardon me for using hyperbole to state my point,now would you tell me how can you fix omnipotence&omniscience paradox ?

And more to the point.. how the hell do you know that "your" god is omnipotent&omniscient ? where in the bloody hell are you deriving these specifics from ?Yes but they are considered alter egos of Gods or split personalities.that's selective/partial loving.. not "ALL" loving.. for it to be "ALL LOVING" there has to be love&peace everywhere whereas it is not the case here.

I'm a clear cut Theist, no religion for me.

In other words, you make up your own bullshit Gawd however you want it to be.

Quote:Every time I try and run my bullshit con game they say I'm using flowery language and curse me out.

fixed that for ya.

[quote[And I have witnessed God through meditation, so that's how I see His kindness and such everywhere. [/quote]

Imagining bullshit isn't "witnessing" anything. Your fantasies =/= reality. hth moron.

Quote:And there is love and peace everywhere, in in every moment be it banal, terrifying or profound. It's there, ready to be experienced. Because of the inherent superiority of good things over evil things, and that there are equal or more than the amount of good things over the bad, the universe ends up being ruled by an omnibenevolent God.

Non sequitur DeepakSpeak.

(01-12-2013 04:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:06 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  NO, every fucking religion pulls this shit. Most recently I actually had a Hindu argue his texts matched science.

I've even gotten this from si fi nuts who love Star Trek, "Predicted the cell phone".

Once I had a guy argue that Aquinus knew about QM. He damned near beat the shit out of me when I asked him to provide evidence.

I've also had Muslims argue a red nebula is predicted in the Koran because of a verse that talks about "red skies".

The ancient Egyptians could point to the sun, but that did not mean they knew scientifically what the sun was made of. Saying "The sky is blue" does not mean you know scientifically why we see the sky as that color.

Ambiguous quotes that "seem" to match reality are merely the person reading it after the fact, like humans see shapes in the clouds.

Hmm, so you don't read the post thoroughly?

The question was:
Quote:Does this also remind you of parallel universes?

And how can it not? No reason to go crazy over it. Everyone always goes crazy when I make a thread involving God. It doesn't mean I want a debate, I want an answer.

The answer was and still is NO, it sounds like flowery mahayanist bullshit.

(01-12-2013 04:35 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:06 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  I've also had Muslims argue a red nebula is predicted in the Koran because of a verse that talks about "red skies".

Ambiguous quotes that "seem" to match reality are merely the person reading it after the fact, like humans see shapes in the clouds.
No kidding..i've seen videos of Hinduism saying that hindu vedic rishis knew about nuclear explosions or that Muhammad predicted the fuc*king atomic number of Iron!!

The war mongering illiterate PEDOPHILE desert dweller somehow "predicted" atomic number of iron in a verse! that's just retarded.

You forgot something. Fixed!

(01-12-2013 05:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not particularly.

Now you're just being obtuse.

You're spouting bullshit.

02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
(01-12-2013 07:57 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:17 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I'm a clear cut Theist, no religion for me.

In other words, you make up your own bullshit Gawd however you want it to be.

Quote:Every time I try and run my bullshit con game they say I'm using flowery language and curse me out.

fixed that for ya.

[quote[And I have witnessed God through meditation, so that's how I see His kindness and such everywhere.

Imagining bullshit isn't "witnessing" anything. Your fantasies =/= reality. hth moron.

Quote:And there is love and peace everywhere, in in every moment be it banal, terrifying or profound. It's there, ready to be experienced. Because of the inherent superiority of good things over evil things, and that there are equal or more than the amount of good things over the bad, the universe ends up being ruled by an omnibenevolent God.

Non sequitur DeepakSpeak.

(01-12-2013 04:18 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hmm, so you don't read the post thoroughly?

The question was:

And how can it not? No reason to go crazy over it. Everyone always goes crazy when I make a thread involving God. It doesn't mean I want a debate, I want an answer.

The answer was and still is NO, it sounds like flowery mahayanist bullshit.

(01-12-2013 04:35 PM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  No kidding..i've seen videos of Hinduism saying that hindu vedic rishis knew about nuclear explosions or that Muhammad predicted the fuc*king atomic number of Iron!!

The war mongering illiterate PEDOPHILE desert dweller somehow "predicted" atomic number of iron in a verse! that's just retarded.

You forgot something. Fixed!

(01-12-2013 05:43 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Now you're just being obtuse.

You're spouting bullshit.
[/quote]

You use the word shit more often than you say something that makes sense.

Ergo, you spout shit.
02-12-2013, 07:06 PM
(22-11-2013 05:36 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Hey!

Not usually a huge fan of this, but sometimes I feel religion can foreshadow science.

Example:

"Now, I, [Vairocana Buddha] am sitting atop a lotus pedestal; On a thousand flowers surrounding me are a thousand Sakyamuni Buddhas. Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood. All these innumerable Buddhas have Vairocana as their original body."

~~~ Brahma Net Sutta (I am fairly sure)

Does that also remind you of parallel universes?

A couple things -

First, our brains are pattern-seeking. Secondly, once something is suggested, we are subjected to a cognitive bias. Like when you're told to listen for specified words when playing a soundtrack backwards. There are many examples where ancient writings are treated this way, and erroneously held as the foreshadow of science.

We could make the Buddha example a reference to ice cream, with lots of sprinkles, just as easily.
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
(02-12-2013 06:34 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You use the word shit more often than you say something that makes sense.

I use the word shit to describe the incoherent, unintelligible bullshit you spout.

That you are too much of a dullard to understand it is your problem, not mine.

Quote:Ergo, you spout shit.

You are making Baby Jeebus cry.

02-12-2013, 07:33 PM
(02-12-2013 07:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 06:34 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You use the word shit more often than you say something that makes sense.

I use the word shit to describe the incoherent, unintelligible bullshit you spout.

That you are too much of a dullard to understand it is your problem, not mine.

Quote:Ergo, you spout shit.

You are making Baby Jeebus cry.

Your statement begs the question; you said that shit was the bullshit I spout. Sorry dude, bullshit has shit as part of its definition so your statement is meaningless.
02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
(02-12-2013 07:33 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Your statement begs the question; you said that shit was the bullshit I spout. Sorry dude, bullshit has shit as part of its definition so your statement is meaningless.

GREAT! Then it will fit right in with your thread! Thumbsup