Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 08:11 AM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
(22-11-2013 09:39 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  To continue off of grizzlysnake's assessment: Religion was humanity's first draft version of explaining things we didn't have the technology to understand yet. It was observation, but not quite up to the standards of science.

For example: If a specific cultural considered a species of vine sacred, and renowned it for it's "healing" properties, it was because they spent generations observing it's effects on humans. (When people ate the leaves of that vine it gave them more energy, when they rubbed it's sap on their wounds the wounds healed faster, etc.) Then in modern times we analyze extracts of that vine and find a high concentration of antioxidants that accounted for those unique properties. It's still just human observation with a physical explanation (modern) instead of a spiritual one (ancient.) No strings attached in the modern physical observation. In the ancient world you had to make sacrifices to the goddess who created that vine or you family would be cursed for ten generations.

I know the example I gave was very crude and simple. But I think it could apply to more complex ideas. As superstitious as they were, ancient cultures were smarter than we give them credit for.

So in my example, the yogani who was to become the next Buddha somehow sensed something we use equipment for now? It could be a coincidence, but
"Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood." Does sound awfully like the mathematical simultaneous universes we see today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2013, 08:38 AM
(23-11-2013 08:11 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  So in my example, the yogani who was to become the next Buddha somehow sensed something we use equipment for now? It could be a coincidence, but
"Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood." Does sound awfully like the mathematical simultaneous universes we see today.

Sounds like drug use to me.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
23-11-2013, 09:17 AM
(23-11-2013 08:11 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Does sound awfully like the mathematical simultaneous universes we see today.

Only 'cos you awfully want it to Rolleyes

Why does it matter ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Well, once upon a time people tried to get their science from religion. We call this the Dark Ages.
(okay, okay, tragic oversimplification, but still)

People read "modern" science into every scripture they please. This has happened for hundreds of years. If you look at a long, diverse, and above all vague text, you will find parallels. You could hardly not. This does not even begin to suggest any meaning whatsoever.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
23-11-2013, 04:26 PM
(23-11-2013 09:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, once upon a time people tried to get their science from religion. We call this the Dark Ages.

People read "modern" science into every scripture they please. This has happened for hundreds of years. If you look at a long, diverse, and above all vague text, you will find parallels. You could hardly not. This does not even begin to suggest any meaning whatsoever.

I've been saying foreshadowing, not replacing. It starts to prove meditation's extrasensory possibilities. I dunno.
23-11-2013, 04:37 PM
(23-11-2013 04:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 09:24 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, once upon a time people tried to get their science from religion. We call this the Dark Ages.

I've been saying foreshadowing, not replacing. It starts to prove meditation's extrasensory possibilities. I dunno.
I think I know what you mean now. The only thing is that you're looking through a modern lens. It doesn't necessarily reflect back to us. I don't know what you mean by extrasensory though.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
23-11-2013, 04:40 PM
(23-11-2013 04:37 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't know what you mean by extrasensory though.

Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

Like when I meditate, I can be in tune with my surroundings without necessarily hearing, seeing, or even feeling anything.
23-11-2013, 05:02 PM
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 04:37 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't know what you mean by extrasensory though.

Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

Like when I meditate, I can be in tune with my surroundings without necessarily hearing, seeing, or even feeling anything.

No, you can't. Your senses are still functioning, it is your conscious mind that appears to be turned off.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2013, 05:03 PM
(23-11-2013 04:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I've been saying foreshadowing, not replacing. It starts to prove meditation's extrasensory possibilities. I dunno.
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

... Luminon? Is that you?

If you're going to be supposing an external and verifiable interaction beyond worthless personal subjective experience, you're going to have to propose a definite positive testable claim with falsifiability criteria. And then test it.

Then and only then one might be able to begin to take such nebulously ill-defined meaningless claims seriously.

... this is my signature!
[+] 6 users Like cjlr's post
23-11-2013, 05:26 PM
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Like when I meditate, I can be in tune with my surroundings without necessarily hearing, seeing, or even feeling anything.

I do yoga and even meditate once in a while. It's two hobbies that I did when I was a really spiritual hippy-ish teenager, and I guess I just never stopped doing them.

Anyway, I think I have more of an appreciation for meditation now that I don't attach any spiritual or metaphysical stigmas to it. I think it's just your conscious thoughts being quieted and relaxation taking over. It's a state of mind that's so different from the norm that it seems supernatural.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post