Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2013, 05:54 PM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
Since parallel universes have yet to be proven they only exist within the borders of philosophy. This quote also exists within the borders of philosophy, because a religion is only philosophy with a figurehead.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
23-11-2013, 06:35 PM
(23-11-2013 05:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

Like when I meditate, I can be in tune with my surroundings without necessarily hearing, seeing, or even feeling anything.

No, you can't. Your senses are still functioning, it is your conscious mind that appears to be turned off.

Oh, piss off for once.
23-11-2013, 06:51 PM
(23-11-2013 04:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I've been saying foreshadowing, not replacing. It starts to prove meditation's extrasensory possibilities. I dunno.

It suggests meditation's no-self metaphysical possibilities.

But why would parallels be a big deal? Go online and search trees and find a million words and a thousand pictures of a hundred egos and lose what could be found by going outside, shutting yer hole, and sitting under a tree.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-11-2013, 07:32 PM
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 04:37 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't know what you mean by extrasensory though.

Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

Like when I meditate, I can be in tune with my surroundings without necessarily hearing, seeing, or even feeling anything.
well I suppose you can argue that we have a sense of balance but sounds like you're grasping for external senses

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
23-11-2013, 07:51 PM
(23-11-2013 08:07 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 10:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Except the fellow we know as "Buddha" never said that shit. Mahayanists tried to stuff a lot of stupid horseshit into his mouth.

No. That was not Siddhartha speaking. It was Vaircona. You have failed. Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vairocana

Vairocana (also Vairochana or Mahāvairocana) is a celestial buddha who is often interpreted, in texts like the Flower Garland Sutra, as the Bliss Body of the historical Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama). In Chinese, Korean, and Japanese Buddhism, Vairocana is also seen as the embodiment of the Buddhist concept of Emptiness. In the conception of the Five Wisdom Buddhas of Vajrayana Buddhism, Vairocana is at the centre.

Which makes it even more made-up horseshit than first blush would show.

BESIDES, do you have any idea what "Sakyamuni" means" It refers to the person known as Siddhartha, "the Buddha". A thousand of his ass sitting on lotus petals? Woo, woo, woo.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
23-11-2013, 07:57 PM
(23-11-2013 08:11 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(22-11-2013 09:39 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  To continue off of grizzlysnake's assessment: Religion was humanity's first draft version of explaining things we didn't have the technology to understand yet. It was observation, but not quite up to the standards of science.

For example: If a specific cultural considered a species of vine sacred, and renowned it for it's "healing" properties, it was because they spent generations observing it's effects on humans. (When people ate the leaves of that vine it gave them more energy, when they rubbed it's sap on their wounds the wounds healed faster, etc.) Then in modern times we analyze extracts of that vine and find a high concentration of antioxidants that accounted for those unique properties. It's still just human observation with a physical explanation (modern) instead of a spiritual one (ancient.) No strings attached in the modern physical observation. In the ancient world you had to make sacrifices to the goddess who created that vine or you family would be cursed for ten generations.

I know the example I gave was very crude and simple. But I think it could apply to more complex ideas. As superstitious as they were, ancient cultures were smarter than we give them credit for.

So in my example, the yogani who was to become the next Buddha somehow sensed something we use equipment for now? It could be a coincidence, but
"Each flower supports a hundred million worlds; in each world a Sakyamuni Buddha appears. All are seated beneath a Bodhi-tree, all simultaneously attain Buddhahood." Does sound awfully like the mathematical simultaneous universes we see today.

What it sounds like, is typical incoherent Mahayana poetic-poseur drivel.

23-11-2013, 07:59 PM
(23-11-2013 04:26 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I've been saying foreshadowing, not replacing. It starts to prove meditation's extrasensory possibilities. I dunno.

More mahayanist woo.

23-11-2013, 08:03 PM
(23-11-2013 04:40 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 04:37 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I don't know what you mean by extrasensory though.

Senses beyond the five traditional senses.

MEDITATION

[Image: photographed-byc2a0malcom-browne-saigon-....jpg?w=450]

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
23-11-2013, 08:12 PM
(23-11-2013 07:51 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(23-11-2013 08:07 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  No. That was not Siddhartha speaking. It was Vaircona. You have failed. Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vairocana

Vairocana (also Vairochana or Mahāvairocana) is a celestial buddha who is often interpreted, in texts like the Flower Garland Sutra, as the Bliss Body of the historical Buddha (Siddhartha Gautama). In Chinese, Korean, and Japanese Buddhism, Vairocana is also seen as the embodiment of the Buddhist concept of Emptiness. In the conception of the Five Wisdom Buddhas of Vajrayana Buddhism, Vairocana is at the centre.

Which makes it even more made-up horseshit than first blush would show.

BESIDES, do you have any idea what "Sakyamuni" means" It refers to the person known as Siddhartha, "the Buddha". A thousand of his ass sitting on lotus petals? Woo, woo, woo.

YAY! You proved some points for me!

(And yes, the Sakyamuni Republic was where Siddartha lived, smart one. What kind of meditator would I be if I didn't know my Buddha?)
23-11-2013, 08:30 PM
(23-11-2013 06:35 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Oh, piss off for once.

Tut tut little one.
It is REALLY annoying to have one's woo tossed out as the turd it is.
Your experience is being interpreted by the very thing being used for the experience. VERY VERY unreliable that.
It's called "confirmation bias".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_activ...meditation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures...41&dpr=0.9
We can prove with MRI, CT, and PET scans there is NO WOO associated with meditation. Your beta-endorphins, oxytocin, and dopamine increase.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your...-chemicals
Oooooommmmmmm.
[Image: h7FAFA39D]
[Image: 2490165_web.jpg?1287755444]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 9 users Like Bucky Ball's post