Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 03:27 AM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
We must not forget the ages of intolerance, where scientific findings, thoughts and practices had to be hidden within religion, and even the findings translated into a 'gospel friendly' manner. Any practices outside what was written down was considered witchcraft, or heathen, including the use of natural herbs and remedies, which people were burned at the stake for. I am sure there are many correlations in religious texts, to scientific ideas accept (or investigated) now, because in the thousands of years, and especially with the advent of the internet, is there any such thing as an original thought?

In fact pretty much the entire 'witchcraft' mythology has been created by the religions to attack people who knew more than they did, (or at least found new things out), its funny that the people who wanted to control witchcraft actually formed an entire belief system themselves that no one in those times ascribed to, but after they dreamt it up, many began to follow this 'faith'. I have a feeling alchemists were allowed, as the church was getting greedy about the lead to gold malakias.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PursuingTruth's post
25-11-2013, 03:37 AM
(25-11-2013 03:27 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I have a feeling alchemists were allowed, as the church was getting greedy about the lead to gold malakias.

Lead to gold is easy, just have to find a big enough super novae. The night sky is filled with them, we see one practically every night; and that's considering that professional astronomers can only observe about <1% of the night sky with that level of scrutiny.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
25-11-2013, 07:36 AM
(24-11-2013 10:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 12:27 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  On the Q&A.

Hardly. The only reply you were able to muster, was :

Blink
Wutwut?

I guess if that's what your call "thoroughly", it's no wonder you buy into the nonsense you do.

Yes we did, look before page 42.
25-11-2013, 07:36 AM
(25-11-2013 03:27 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  We must not forget the ages of intolerance, where scientific findings, thoughts and practices had to be hidden within religion, and even the findings translated into a 'gospel friendly' manner. Any practices outside what was written down was considered witchcraft, or heathen, including the use of natural herbs and remedies, which people were burned at the stake for. I am sure there are many correlations in religious texts, to scientific ideas accept (or investigated) now, because in the thousands of years, and especially with the advent of the internet, is there any such thing as an original thought?

In fact pretty much the entire 'witchcraft' mythology has been created by the religions to attack people who knew more than they did, (or at least found new things out), its funny that the people who wanted to control witchcraft actually formed an entire belief system themselves that no one in those times ascribed to, but after they dreamt it up, many began to follow this 'faith'. I have a feeling alchemists were allowed, as the church was getting greedy about the lead to gold malakias.

You have no idea what we are discussing, are you?
25-11-2013, 07:38 AM
(24-11-2013 10:04 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 11:20 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Nope. Here's a link to where he lived: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakya

And where does that article say that he lived in the "Sakyamuni Republic"? [hint: it doesn't. Which means YOU didn't read the article you yourself cited. VERY bad form.]

Quote:You apparently fail to read my posts,

I answered your post. OBVIOUSLY I had read it.

Quote: and everyone knows the tathagata thing.

Actually, no, not my a long stretch, especially tibetan-types.

Quote: You must fancy yourself as smart.

Smart enough to catch that you didn't read the WIKI article you cited. And smart enough to know that you can't blindly trust everything you see on WIKI, too.

I don't have to "fancy".

"The Śākyas formed an independent republican state, known as Sakya Gaṇa-rājya. The Śākya capital was Kapilavastu (Pāli: Kapilavatthu) present-day Nepal, lies near to the border of present-day Uttar Pradesh state of India.[6] This system of administration is adopted by the Constitution of India which identifies India as a republican state or Bharat Gaṇa-rājya."

Straight from the wiki article.
25-11-2013, 07:43 AM
(24-11-2013 10:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Religion was a precursor to science, it did not however foreshadow science. Religion is created to explain what we do not understand, and in this it shares the barest of similarities with science. Unfortunately religion builds great edifices upon assumptions, myth making, political control; and then codifies everything as unquestionable dogma. Science questions everything, even it own conclusions; and thus is in a near constant state of flux created by it's continuous self improvement.

Religion assumes the answers and seeks to assert itself, science always questions and seeks to disprove itself. This is the core of their ideological separation, and why the later succeeds at the expense of the former.

Exactly! But what of the mentions of planets orbiting in the Qu'ran, the notions of parallel universes in the Mahayana Brahmajala Sutra (again, not sure), and the foreshadowing of political phenomenon in the New Testament? Do you think that it was a coincidence; that they where bound to get some things right?
25-11-2013, 07:46 AM
(25-11-2013 07:43 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(24-11-2013 10:39 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Religion was a precursor to science, it did not however foreshadow science. Religion is created to explain what we do not understand, and in this it shares the barest of similarities with science. Unfortunately religion builds great edifices upon assumptions, myth making, political control; and then codifies everything as unquestionable dogma. Science questions everything, even it own conclusions; and thus is in a near constant state of flux created by it's continuous self improvement.

Religion assumes the answers and seeks to assert itself, science always questions and seeks to disprove itself. This is the core of their ideological separation, and why the later succeeds at the expense of the former.

Exactly! But what of the mentions of planets orbiting in the Qu'ran, the notions of parallel universes in the Mahayana Brahmajala Sutra (again, not sure), and the foreshadowing of political phenomenon in the New Testament? Do you think that it was a coincidence; that they where bound to get some things right?

You're a big sillyhead. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2013, 07:50 AM
You seem to be making or wanting to make some sort of case as follows:
1. all religious texts show some inkling of scientific ideas.
2. these ideas are sent to men by The Creator.

Is this what you're saying ? 'Cos even if I give you 1, I don't see how 2 follows.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-11-2013, 07:55 AM
(25-11-2013 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  You seem to be making or wanting to make some sort of case as follows:

Is this what you're saying ? 'Cos even if I give you 1, I don't see how 2 follows.

1- No, some texts do.

2- Yes, the ones that do are sent by God.
25-11-2013, 07:58 AM
(25-11-2013 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  You seem to be making or wanting to make some sort of case as follows:

Because like, what about the Book of Mormon? I wouldn't take that for anything because it was obviously made up.