Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 08:04 AM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
(25-11-2013 07:55 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 07:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  You seem to be making or wanting to make some sort of case as follows:
1. all religious texts show some inkling of scientific ideas.
2. these ideas are sent to men by The Creator.

Is this what you're saying ? 'Cos even if I give you 1, I don't see how 2 follows.

1- No, some texts do.

2- Yes, the ones that do are sent by God.

See bolded.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 08:10 AM
(25-11-2013 07:36 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You have no idea what we are discussing, are you?

A well rounded argument to counter my points, I am at a loss to reply to yours.

Let me consult my bible to give me guidance on how to say: "Read my post, scientific advancement had to be done covertly due to theist dogma saying anything that isn't written isn't true"

My premise being that what is written in 'holy' texts had been written by the hand of people, and if they knew something that was of importance, they would sneak it in and get it ratified by the religious leaders to allow advancement of science.

Science existed before organised religion, and some religions tolerated science, some denied it, and some controlled it for their own means.

Was Galileo not imprisoned by the catholic church? Even though he was employed by them?
25-11-2013, 08:23 AM
*cough*
25-11-2013, 08:30 AM
(25-11-2013 08:10 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 07:36 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  You have no idea what we are discussing, are you?

A well rounded argument to counter my points, I am at a loss to reply to yours.

Let me consult my bible to give me guidance on how to say: "Read my post, scientific advancement had to be done covertly due to theist dogma saying anything that isn't written isn't true"

My premise being that what is written in 'holy' texts had been written by the hand of people, and if they knew something that was of importance, they would sneak it in and get it ratified by the religious leaders to allow advancement of science.

Science existed before organised religion, and some religions tolerated science, some denied it, and some controlled it for their own means.

Was Galileo not imprisoned by the catholic church? Even though he was employed by them?

Indeed he was, but I don't want a bunch of ignorant anti-Catholic ranting here today.

But who are these people, and why do you dismiss that they MAY be messengers of God? Give me some proof that one holy text was written by power hungry clerics.
25-11-2013, 08:31 AM
(25-11-2013 08:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 07:55 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  1- No, some texts do.

2- Yes, the ones that do are sent by God.

See bolded.

Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.
25-11-2013, 08:40 AM
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  See bolded.

Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.

How nice.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-11-2013, 08:51 AM
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.

Oh my Gwynnies. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2013, 08:51 AM
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.

In a way which is utterly indistinguishable from and consequently far more reminiscent of "mere" empirical naturalism.

Funny, that.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
25-11-2013, 09:09 AM
(25-11-2013 08:30 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Indeed he was, but I don't want a bunch of ignorant anti-Catholic ranting here today.

But who are these people, and why do you dismiss that they MAY be messengers of God? Give me some proof that one holy text was written by power hungry clerics.

I am sure many people could interpret some scripture within some holy texts as specifically written to increase the power and/or influence of the church. Here's the one i can remember from Hebrews 13.

"7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

9 Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.

17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you."

Submit to their authority? - plus don't eat ceremonial foods, Eucharist anyone?

I was not (and am not) being anti-catholic, I only used that example as a direct evidence for my points. There is still the creationist/evolutionist argument going on, funny most people on the creationist side are theists.

You cannot refute that religion has stood in the way of science for millennia, and when it comes down to ti, how do you know God hasn't put the rest of us here to tell you about stuff?
25-11-2013, 09:12 AM
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  See bolded.

and Gaps, you totally forgot the Gaps.

[Image: 054-Just-because-Science-Doesnt-KNow-Eve...50x406.jpg]

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post