Religion Foreshadowing Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2013, 09:14 AM
RE: Religion Foreshadowing Science
(25-11-2013 09:09 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:30 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Indeed he was, but I don't want a bunch of ignorant anti-Catholic ranting here today.

But who are these people, and why do you dismiss that they MAY be messengers of God? Give me some proof that one holy text was written by power hungry clerics.

I am sure many people could interpret some scripture within some holy texts as specifically written to increase the power and/or influence of the church. Here's the one i can remember from Hebrews 13.

"7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

9 Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.

17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you."

Submit to their authority? - plus don't eat ceremonial foods, Eucharist anyone?

I was not (and am not) being anti-catholic, I only used that example as a direct evidence for my points. There is still the creationist/evolutionist argument going on, funny most people on the creationist side are theists.

You cannot refute that religion has stood in the way of science for millennia, and when it comes down to ti, how do you know God hasn't put the rest of us here to tell you about stuff?

I want proof. Those passages were up for interpretation, isn't that the point?

If you can prove to me:
-the author was a known power-hungry person
-that we know who the author was at all
-that the accounts where not real, I'll need 3 proofs
-the text has analogs with another, similar, text.

Then we can have a discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2013, 09:16 AM
(25-11-2013 08:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.

In a way which is utterly indistinguishable from and consequently far more reminiscent of "mere" empirical naturalism.

Funny, that.

I bet if you meditated beneath a tree for 43 hours until you could literally see your own soul you'd feel differently. Drinking Beverage
25-11-2013, 09:18 AM
(25-11-2013 09:14 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:09 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I am sure many people could interpret some scripture within some holy texts as specifically written to increase the power and/or influence of the church. Here's the one i can remember from Hebrews 13.

"7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

9 Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.

17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you."

Submit to their authority? - plus don't eat ceremonial foods, Eucharist anyone?

I was not (and am not) being anti-catholic, I only used that example as a direct evidence for my points. There is still the creationist/evolutionist argument going on, funny most people on the creationist side are theists.

You cannot refute that religion has stood in the way of science for millennia, and when it comes down to ti, how do you know God hasn't put the rest of us here to tell you about stuff?

I want proof. Those passages were up for interpretation, isn't that the point?

If you can prove to me:
-the author was a known power-hungry person
-that we know who the author was at all
-that the accounts where not real, I'll need 3 proofs
-the text has analogs with another, similar, text.

Then we can have a discussion.

Helpful hint: if we're using the Bible, check the Epic of Gilgamesh.
25-11-2013, 09:24 AM
(25-11-2013 09:16 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:51 AM)cjlr Wrote:  In a way which is utterly indistinguishable from and consequently far more reminiscent of "mere" empirical naturalism.

Funny, that.

I bet if you meditated beneath a tree for 43 hours until you could literally see your own soul you'd feel differently. Drinking Beverage

Only if you refuse to accept that chemicals in the brain bring the warm and fuzzies.

And!

Derp. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-11-2013, 09:31 AM
I always thought it was written by Paul.. I neglected a simple google search to tell me otherwise (never really questioned it before).. hats off.. you have challenged something that looks like it was written by Pauls mate on his behalf (or his mistress priscilla hehe)

Still its printed in the bible, used in churches to preach stories, used to manipulate other people to do as they are told.

YOU prove to me,
-that this is not used to garner power by past or present clergy
-that this does not contradict current practice in churches
-that this is not read in churches due to its canonical uncertainty

Then we can continue the discussion
25-11-2013, 09:33 AM
(25-11-2013 09:24 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:16 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  I bet if you meditated beneath a tree for 43 hours until you could literally see your own soul you'd feel differently. Drinking Beverage

Only if you refuse to accept that chemicals in the brain bring the warm and fuzzies.

And!

Derp. Tongue

Goddamit dude, I'm finding it hard to dislike you. Dodgy

Tongue
[+] 2 users Like The_Thinking_Theist's post
25-11-2013, 09:34 AM
(25-11-2013 09:31 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I always thought it was written by Paul.. I neglected a simple google search to tell me otherwise (never really questioned it before).. hats off.. you have challenged something that looks like it was written by Pauls mate on his behalf (or his mistress priscilla hehe)

Still its printed in the bible, used in churches to preach stories, used to manipulate other people to do as they are told.

YOU prove to me,

Nope, answer my questions first.

And why do you have a negative rep? There's nothing wrong with you.
25-11-2013, 09:42 AM
(25-11-2013 09:34 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 09:31 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I always thought it was written by Paul.. I neglected a simple google search to tell me otherwise (never really questioned it before).. hats off.. you have challenged something that looks like it was written by Pauls mate on his behalf (or his mistress priscilla hehe)

YOU prove to me,

Nope, answer my questions first.

And why do you have a negative rep? There's nothing wrong with you.

He was caught with agenda.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
25-11-2013, 10:11 AM
(25-11-2013 08:31 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  
(25-11-2013 08:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  See bolded.

Since God is the God of science and is Nature's God, all science is through Him revealed to us.

That's so cute. Got any evidence?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Psssh I have no agenda.. I just challenged prior beliefs in my usual badly phrased methods. (plus I think I posted whilst under the influence once or twice)

And you know I cannot answer those questions..
If you can prove to me:
-the author was a known power-hungry person Author is still not proven so I cannot state their mindset
-that we know who the author was at all As above
-that the accounts where not real, I'll need 3 proofs I don't particularly understand this one, were not real? I can only point to right at the start where god says "let all god's angel worship him" and relate to the idea of satan, who is an angel, yet does not worship Jesus, then the 'high priest selected from among the people', when the 'high priest' is selected among his cronies from the cardinals which is surely a barrier to the people and closely by he will deal gently with the ignorant' which is significantly not in keeping with the rest of the bible
-the text has analogs with another, similar, text. Pslams, deutoromony, pieces in genesis I suppose.. it rambles a bit, bit hard to keep up with where the info is coming from, certainly touches on deut. but a softer (much) threat to it. Than obey or die as found in deut.