Religion Is Dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Religion Is Dead
So, some churches around here are having sermons over how religion is terrible and blah, blah, blah, and they instead have a personal relationship with god (still the Judeo-Christian god). Even worse, my in-laws go to one of those churches, and are always blathering on about it. I find this to be a perfect example of how theists, Christians in particular, always obscure their beliefs, and raise the bar, so to speak, so that it can sound like it still holds water. I mean, surely these people realize wht they're saying; "I can't stand religion, but I still believe in the god that this religious book tells me to". I try to not cross the line between being a skeptic, and being an a--hole to people, but this just seems like the biggest load of crap I've heard in a long time.
What are y'all's thoughts?
Anyone else seeing this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2014, 11:24 AM
RE: Religion Is Dead
Yep. I was one of them. For a long time my Facebook said "more spiritual than religious."

It's not about being at church on Sunday at 8:45 am, nor the stained glass, and not even really the communion if you're just going through the motions - it's about the personal relationship. Or something like that. Facepalm

I'll try to find the YouTube video that expresses this point of view that EVERYBODY was sharing for a while.

Edit: Found it!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
There's something delightfully ironic about denouncing organised religion within the framework of a structured sermon in a consecrated building according to codified scripture...

Though it is true that larger organisations bring about their own emergent problems.
(cough cough Catholic Church cough)

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Yep, I have a niece whose slogan is: More Jesus, less religion". Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-12-2014, 11:47 AM
(12-12-2014 11:24 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Yep. I was one of them. For a long time my Facebook said "more spiritual than religious."

It's not about being at church on Sunday at 8:45 am, nor the stained glass, and not even really the communion if you're just going through the motions - it's about the personal relationship. Or something like that. Facepalm

I'll try to find the YouTube video that expresses this point of view that EVERYBODY was sharing for a while.

Oh no, I remember when that spread around. It's so completely awful and stupid.

It really just boils down too. I have an imaginary friend of which there is no evidence for, that's all I believe in. Not any of the texts that would supposedly give evidence for this imaginary friend or what anyone else says about him.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Perhaps it's a concession that religion has become a bad word, but more than likely it's just another way of playing word games.

"Yeah, I go to a church, listen to the pastor, believe and read the bible, but it's not a religion!"

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-12-2014, 01:19 PM
For me, it was more cognitive dissonance. I had to have a happy image of a loving Christ to hang onto my faith. This is what spiritual vs religion essentially means when you hear it from a Christian:

"Religion" is a routine. Religion is more going to a church that took millions of dollars to build instead of spending those millions to help feed and clothe the poor families in their very community. Its participating in ceremonies that are not outlined in the Bible (Doxology, for example) and failing to follow christ's example. It's spouting hatred for gays and prostitutes and unwed mothers when Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor and judge not lest he be judged. Jesus hung out with the very people society had declared immoral/unclean/sinners. If we were truly Christ followers we would be showing love and compassion, not hate, pride, and vanity.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-12-2014, 01:24 PM
(12-12-2014 11:24 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Yep. I was one of them. For a long time my Facebook said "more spiritual than religious."

That video has just recently been circulating around here as well!

Part of me gets annoyed, and wants to point out the flaw in their whole "game-changer" of an idea, and the other part of me just enjoys the hilarious irony of a preacher, in a church, holding a bible, saying he hates religion. After all, it is quite comical.
12-12-2014, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 02:23 PM by Mr. Boston.)
Yeah sure, "religion sucks, you need a personal relationship with God. Now please put some money in the hat."

And as a sidenote, I'd love for once to see a societal/philosophical concept promoted online by some means other than fucking spoken word poetry. Even ideas I generally agree with, you lose me when you have to "flow" to get your point across.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
12-12-2014, 02:28 PM
(12-12-2014 01:19 PM)Nurse Wrote:  (Doxology, for example)

Gasp had to look it up Bowing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce