Religion Limits My Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 05:27 AM
RE: Religion Limits My Freedom
(09-04-2013 09:38 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 08:54 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  It's already explained in the first post. You could just read it there. Point is, she won't let me do a lot of things because of religion. I should find my enjoyment in "serving" the lord.

You might relate to this...

Religion Replacing Love
“I could never feel really loved and cared for by Jesus. Intellectually I believed that he loved me, but I needed someone to hug me and tell me that I was important. If my own parents couldn’t or wouldn’t do that, why would Jesus? I wanted physical nurturing, not just some fantasy of love. But, because my parents were neglecting their children supposedly for God’s work and to save people from going to hell, how could I complain or ask for more of their time without feeling terribly guilty?”
—Nick, the son of a minister

There’s nothing more crucial to a child’s emotional development than natural love and affection from parents and family. Some parents employ religion to compensate for what’s lacking in their own repertoire of interpersonal and parenting skills. Unable to appropriately deal with emotions, they use prayer as a substitute, presuming that their children will benefit from a “personal relationship with Jesus,” and in doing so push them away. Children feel rejected, as they assume they aren’t good enough for their parents.

Fundamentalist families can be unaffectionate, lacking fun, spontaneity and laughter. The expression of positive emotions is suppressed. There isn't enough “realness” and self-confidence to freely give the hugs, compliments, and unconditional love that children so desperately crave and need. They become burdened with self-esteem issues and difficulty expressing affection to others. This is a denial of the bonds that have held human families and societies together throughout the ages.

The faith is as much at fault as the parents, because it over emphasizes the relationship with God, and despite “love one another” too often downplays the importance of interpersonal love.

This makes me wanna cry. Sadcryface And I can't say anything but thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
10-04-2013, 05:30 AM
(09-04-2013 11:10 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Well, look on the bright side. Once you're done with college and have moved out on your own, people will use a different religion to control you. It will include all of the requisite hollow platitudes, inconsistent ethics, hierarchical structure and irrational justifications for your obedience that Christianity employs, except they will be enforced at the point of a gun.

Undecided

I'm really aiming to prove to everyone that you don't need a god to become successful in life. My mother always tells me that NO MATTER how much effort I put in, if it isn't the will of god then it ain't gonna happen. So to cheer up and motivate myself, I tend to look on the bright side that this can be challenge. This is to show that life is in our hands and we don't need an imaginary friend or a supernatural being to attain the what thought to be, impossible.
10-04-2013, 07:59 AM
(10-04-2013 05:30 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I'm really aiming to prove to everyone that you don't need a god to become successful in life. My mother always tells me that NO MATTER how much effort I put in, if it isn't the will of god then it ain't gonna happen. So to cheer up and motivate myself, I tend to look on the bright side that this can be challenge. This is to show that life is in our hands and we don't need an imaginary friend or a supernatural being to attain the what thought to be, impossible.

Kudos for that. Just don't let yourself fall into dependance on the other G word. Thumbsup

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 08:08 AM
(10-04-2013 03:35 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 03:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  Elaborate ? Politics ?

He is referring to taxation. Jefe is an anarchist who believes the state is evil and is imposing a form of slavery. We have had a few go arounds in the politics section about that very thing and he does have some good points even if they are a little too optimistic on human nature for my tastes. Big Grin

Just to be annoyingly precise... I'm referring to the state (government) in its entirety. Taxation is just the compulsory tithing in the church of statism. There is also that whole different ethical rules for god, er, government. And there's the prohibition of perceived sins. And there's the whole smiting those who don't worship the same flag thing... I could go on but, yeah, it's not just taxation.

I didn't become an A because I hate T. I became an A because the power of G is illegitimate, abusive and destructive. Wink

Legend:
A= atheist or, anarchist
T= tithing or, taxation
G= Gods or, Governments

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 08:21 AM
(09-04-2013 09:04 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  The only thing your guilty of is logic in the face of irrationality. Im glad you realized that your surrounded by idiots. Born agains make me want to punch holes in walls

Born again christians make me want to punch born again christians! Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-04-2013, 09:24 AM

A= atheist or, anarchist

So your anarchist too?
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Well it seems as if you are not completely restricted, because here you are! Smile

My cousin is going through the same thing right now, him being 16. I told him to simply bide his time. His parents were forcing him to go to church and not allowing him to watch certain things or do certain things. Tough. They are your parents. There is not much you can do about it. Deal with it now, and learn from this. If you have kids, know what it was like for you and you can correct whatever mistakes you witnessed.

Does it suck? Yeah. Chances are, your parents love you and are doing simply what they think is best, even if it is not the best. I'm not saying just to roll over and take everything, but take what hits you can and just roll with the punches until you are able to lead your own life to the fullest.

And no, we don't mind the raging. It's normal to vent frustration. That's what we are here for right?

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a friend who is in the same situation as you but unfortunately for her she has given up and is just following now. It hurts me to see her because she already told me she isn't sure of her sexuality and she knows of some of the flaws within the religious texts but she cannot say a word since her father is the leader of some new church which they live off of and is extremely conservative. She doesn't believe in things simply to conform to what her parents and community expect of her. If you had known her outside of her religion you would have seen a normal person who was into music, loved to draw and write. Instead it just seems now she has just given up the fight and only does so out of doing it for her parents. I keep telling her to try and think for herself but she feels if she is challenging her beliefs it is disrespecting her parents. If we lived like that we would have never progressed from the ancient logic of thousands of years ago.

I am glad you have chosen to try to find the truth. I understand about how strict parents can be since I have Hispanic parents who are Catholics nonetheless. They will literally beat you with the word of God but I am happy we actually got a new priest who supports gay marriage. Makes me laugh and is causing both my parents to start questioning things and hopefully make them realize they are on the wrong side of this apparent 'issue' and hopefully question more things outside of this.

If you haven't seen Jesus Camp I would recommend it. It reveals how religion can be used to control people, especially children. People may argue it is a tool, but even if it is, it is one created near perfectly to control the minds of the gullible and the young.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion. Steven Weinberg.

I don't take this as absolutely true but I do agree that it can make good people do horrid things like discriminate against women, encourage slavery, hate homosexuals, despise different religions, and even different races. Religion was used laughably for and against this issue and simply because of that you can realize that religious texts(Like the Bible) can be used and worded to the advantage of whomever wants to use it.

Hope you continue to fight for reason and knowledge! I am sorry your mother has done these things but I believe it is at least slightly out of care for you but I think you should state your opinion and use her own beliefs against her. Some people have already stated great ways to combat those ideals. God surely created everything in her mind and if that is so, then why not take joy in the beaches or things he created? You should tell her to at least live this life to its fullest extent because isn't that what God would have wanted? Wouldn't the Devil be the one who would have supported you staying within a cage? These are points others have already brought up and I think are excellent.

I hope you watch the trailer above because it might be similar to experiences you may have had. One day you may have to confront your mother on your beliefs and she may not enjoy it and may go even crazier but you will have to stand strong. I hope you succeed and at least lets you try to enjoy this one life you will have. Don't let her try to waste it for you and make your own decisions on what you wish to do here.

I will leave this last video by TheThinkingAtheist. Shouldn't we take care of one another? Protect this small home? And enjoy it? So that current generations and future ones can experience what we have experienced. To be alive on this planet. The pale blue dot.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
10-04-2013, 06:31 PM
(09-04-2013 02:52 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I hate how much the activities I can do is limited by religion!

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for me to express this it's just on the inside I'M RAGING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

My mother, a pastor, won't let me so A LOT of things because of this f***ing religion s**t! And forgive me if this is offensive but my mother is so DUMB!! She told me that not everything in this world is science and I was like, "What?! Everything around IS science!" She would then continue babbling about spiritual stuff and s**t like that!

Like I said, my freedom is limited because of religion. I can't hang out with my friends because they are worldly unbelievers.*

*my family's born again christian and they think that they're the only ones right so even if you're a christian but is a catholic or an adventist or trinitarian type of christian, you're still considered to them as unbeliever.

I can't enjoy karaoke because the songs there are not christian therefore it's worldly and is the devil. I must not even look at pictures of my friends in facebook that they went to beautiful beaches because it displays jealousy and I'm jealous of worldly people which makes it really really bad. (Fucked up isn't it? I know, I know.) I should not be dreaming of enjoying my life in those ways because the only enjoyment I should aspire is that enjoyment in the (in a mocking voice) "presence of the lord where a true christian should only enjoy~"

WHAT FULL OF CRAP!!

It sucks! What would I suppose to enjoy, being at church crying and screaming like a crazy person with my hands up high and jumping, being slain on the floor and rolling like a person needed to be taken to the mental hospital?

THIS! This is exactly why I now refuse to be a christian because IT'S FULL OF SHIT AND SHITTY NONSENSE! Why can't we live life like it's the only one we have because DUH? It is the only one we have. Christians waste it on serving an imaginary friend who is nowhere to be found and wouldn't even show up!

Again, I apologize if I'm raging over here. Please do tell me if I broke any forum rules I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys! I know you guys can understand, especially those who were christians before. Love y'all! Heart

I'm sorry to hear that, I never knew this sort of frustration, so I cannot relate (though I can somewhat to the "not everything is science" comment), as such, I've little to say here, but your Thread title gave me an idea:

Their religion limits my freedom. My freedom limits their religion.

Religions depend on converts, your freedom denies them such.

Stick with the good fight, see you around the Forum. Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-04-2013, 07:47 PM
(10-04-2013 09:33 AM)AmishLatinJew Wrote:  Well it seems as if you are not completely restricted, because here you are! Smile

My cousin is going through the same thing right now, him being 16. I told him to simply bide his time. His parents were forcing him to go to church and not allowing him to watch certain things or do certain things. Tough. They are your parents. There is not much you can do about it. Deal with it now, and learn from this. If you have kids, know what it was like for you and you can correct whatever mistakes you witnessed.

Does it suck? Yeah. Chances are, your parents love you and are doing simply what they think is best, even if it is not the best. I'm not saying just to roll over and take everything, but take what hits you can and just roll with the punches until you are able to lead your own life to the fullest.

And no, we don't mind the raging. It's normal to vent frustration. That's what we are here for right?

Aww. That's so sweet. Blush Thankies.

Yes, it's difficulty especially for me that my parents don't know that I'm now an atheist. The only ones who knows about this are my boyfriend and my best friend. My boyfriend is the one who I share a lot about atheism because he too is uncertain in his stand about religion. My best friend's getting confused so I'm hoping that the time will come that they both will come to their senses. I'm just glad I'm now here. Finally on the sane side. Haha! Laugh out load