Religion Limits My Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 08:20 PM
RE: Religion Limits My Freedom
(10-04-2013 12:05 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I have a friend who is in the same situation as you but unfortunately for her she has given up and is just following now. It hurts me to see her because she already told me she isn't sure of her sexuality and she knows of some of the flaws within the religious texts but she cannot say a word since her father is the leader of some new church which they live off of and is extremely conservative. She doesn't believe in things simply to conform to what her parents and community expect of her. If you had known her outside of her religion you would have seen a normal person who was into music, loved to draw and write. Instead it just seems now she has just given up the fight and only does so out of doing it for her parents. I keep telling her to try and think for herself but she feels if she is challenging her beliefs it is disrespecting her parents. If we lived like that we would have never progressed from the ancient logic of thousands of years ago.

I am glad you have chosen to try to find the truth. I understand about how strict parents can be since I have Hispanic parents who are Catholics nonetheless. They will literally beat you with the word of God but I am happy we actually got a new priest who supports gay marriage. Makes me laugh and is causing both my parents to start questioning things and hopefully make them realize they are on the wrong side of this apparent 'issue' and hopefully question more things outside of this.

If you haven't seen Jesus Camp I would recommend it. It reveals how religion can be used to control people, especially children. People may argue it is a tool, but even if it is, it is one created near perfectly to control the minds of the gullible and the young.

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion. Steven Weinberg.

I don't take this as absolutely true but I do agree that it can make good people do horrid things like discriminate against women, encourage slavery, hate homosexuals, despise different religions, and even different races. Religion was used laughably for and against this issue and simply because of that you can realize that religious texts(Like the Bible) can be used and worded to the advantage of whomever wants to use it.

Hope you continue to fight for reason and knowledge! I am sorry your mother has done these things but I believe it is at least slightly out of care for you but I think you should state your opinion and use her own beliefs against her. Some people have already stated great ways to combat those ideals. God surely created everything in her mind and if that is so, then why not take joy in the beaches or things he created? You should tell her to at least live this life to its fullest extent because isn't that what God would have wanted? Wouldn't the Devil be the one who would have supported you staying within a cage? These are points others have already brought up and I think are excellent.

I hope you watch the trailer above because it might be similar to experiences you may have had. One day you may have to confront your mother on your beliefs and she may not enjoy it and may go even crazier but you will have to stand strong. I hope you succeed and at least lets you try to enjoy this one life you will have. Don't let her try to waste it for you and make your own decisions on what you wish to do here.

I will leave this last video by TheThinkingAtheist. Shouldn't we take care of one another? Protect this small home? And enjoy it? So that current generations and future ones can experience what we have experienced. To be alive on this planet. The pale blue dot.

This is really awesome! Thumbsup It's true. Religion actually makes people believe that they're better than others because they're good, or at least think they are, and that they're better than others because they do what their god tells them and that their faith is higher than others. This then, makes them mock other people, laugh at their faces (literally) and disrespect others. And I really hate it when they say they pity the "unbelievers". I mean, my goodness, you're the ones who should be pitied. If you're so religious and righteous, you shouldn't be so full of pride and look down on other people. Pity the hungry, pity the poor, pity the uneducated, pity the people who hurt others. Oh wait, like you. Haha! Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
(10-04-2013 06:31 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 02:52 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  I hate how much the activities I can do is limited by religion!

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place for me to express this it's just on the inside I'M RAGING MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

My mother, a pastor, won't let me so A LOT of things because of this f***ing religion s**t! And forgive me if this is offensive but my mother is so DUMB!! She told me that not everything in this world is science and I was like, "What?! Everything around IS science!" She would then continue babbling about spiritual stuff and s**t like that!

Like I said, my freedom is limited because of religion. I can't hang out with my friends because they are worldly unbelievers.*

*my family's born again christian and they think that they're the only ones right so even if you're a christian but is a catholic or an adventist or trinitarian type of christian, you're still considered to them as unbeliever.

I can't enjoy karaoke because the songs there are not christian therefore it's worldly and is the devil. I must not even look at pictures of my friends in facebook that they went to beautiful beaches because it displays jealousy and I'm jealous of worldly people which makes it really really bad. (Fucked up isn't it? I know, I know.) I should not be dreaming of enjoying my life in those ways because the only enjoyment I should aspire is that enjoyment in the (in a mocking voice) "presence of the lord where a true christian should only enjoy~"

WHAT FULL OF CRAP!!

It sucks! What would I suppose to enjoy, being at church crying and screaming like a crazy person with my hands up high and jumping, being slain on the floor and rolling like a person needed to be taken to the mental hospital?

THIS! This is exactly why I now refuse to be a christian because IT'S FULL OF SHIT AND SHITTY NONSENSE! Why can't we live life like it's the only one we have because DUH? It is the only one we have. Christians waste it on serving an imaginary friend who is nowhere to be found and wouldn't even show up!

Again, I apologize if I'm raging over here. Please do tell me if I broke any forum rules I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys! I know you guys can understand, especially those who were christians before. Love y'all! Heart

I'm sorry to hear that, I never knew this sort of frustration, so I cannot relate (though I can somewhat to the "not everything is science" comment), as such, I've little to say here, but your Thread title gave me an idea:

Their religion limits my freedom. My freedom limits their religion.

Religions depend on converts, your freedom denies them such.

Stick with the good fight, see you around the Forum. Thumbsup

Thank you so much. I just find it really ridiculous at times. Their reasons are unreasonable. And they're like their god, very inconsistent. One time they will say this, the next time, it's different. They're really hard to understand and for me, I think they're just confusing their life.
10-04-2013, 08:36 PM
(10-04-2013 09:24 AM)That Icelandic Wrote:  A= atheist or, anarchist

So your anarchist too?

Anarcho-capitalist, to be exact. But voluntarist works, too.

I've been called a few other things also, but I don't think I should repeat them here, lest I have to wash my own mouth out with soap. Big Grin

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Oh! Oh! And here's another stupid, really ridiculous thing my mother says that not everything is science. She says that the heart is responsible for our feelings and not the brain. She points out that in science, the heart only pumps blood, which I know is the only function of the heart. But she says science can't say that the heart has feelings but it certainly does. Then again she will say, "Then why is it in the Bible it says that the heart is where you feel love? Isn't that why it says to love the lord with all your heart?"

How ridiculous right? Haha! Laugh out load
10-04-2013, 08:55 PM
(10-04-2013 08:49 PM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  Oh! Oh! And here's another stupid, really ridiculous thing my mother says that not everything is science. She says that the heart is responsible for our feelings and not the brain. She points out that in science, the heart only pumps blood, which I know is the only function of the heart. But she says science can't say that the heart has feelings but it certainly does. Then again she will say, "Then why is it in the Bible it says that the heart is where you feel love? Isn't that why it says to love the lord with all your heart?"

How ridiculous right? Haha! Laugh out load

Willfully ignorant. To think your mother is the trusted leader of a community and can't be bothered to google that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
10-04-2013, 09:08 PM
(10-04-2013 08:08 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Just to be annoyingly precise... I'm referring to the state (government) in its entirety. Taxation is just the compulsory tithing in the church of statism. There is also that whole different ethical rules for god, er, government. And there's the prohibition of perceived sins. And there's the whole smiting those who don't worship the same flag thing... I could go on but, yeah, it's not just taxation.

I didn't become an A because I hate T. I became an A because the power of G is illegitimate, abusive and destructive. Wink

Legend:
A= atheist or, anarchist
T= tithing or, taxation
G= Gods or, Governments

I find this analogy very interesting, I'll have to cogitate on it.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-04-2013, 01:51 AM
Notice that HJ, the Jesushead, has stopped posting here.

Intellectually and morally outgunned.

Nothing left to say.
11-04-2013, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 02:53 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(11-04-2013 01:51 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Notice that HJ, the Jesushead, has stopped posting here.

Nothing left to say.

I've put my thought and energies into other threads. As the weather improves going into spring, the time I spend on this forum decreases. Besides the kid is being controlled because he chooses to be controlled. When I was 18 and I thought may parents were too controlling, I packed up and left.
11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
(11-04-2013 02:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 01:51 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Notice that HJ, the Jesushead, has stopped posting here.

Nothing left to say.

I've put my thought and energies into other threads. As the weather improves going into spring, the time I spend on this forum decreases. Besides the kid is being controlled because he chooses to be controlled. When I was 18 and I thought may parents were too controlling, I packed up and left.

The original poster is female I believe.

Also, you reveal that you had to meet a certain age to finally remove yourself from that household. Does it cross your mind that there are people certainly younger who cannot do the same because they can't simply sustain themselves outside of that home or for legal reasons?

Nobody can simply deny that religion is used as a tool for control, it blatantly is! She did not choose for her mother to press her faith against her nor did she ask to be controlled in such way.

Again from Jesus camp:

You can see the control from religion everywhere. Gay marriage is stopped not because of any other reason but because of religion. The same was for interracial marriage and the discrimination against women. Now religion was also argued for good on some of these points as well but what I find awesome is the fact that two people can use the same book and take completely different meanings and use those meanings to substantiate their claims to control people. It happens all the time with people like this:

If religion couldn't be used for control silly beliefs like creationism would have been gone long ago. Instead it is not the case and probably one of the most powerful tools to do such a thing.

If you wanted to go to war people would never do so but do it in the name of God and simply just watch how many are willing to join you. It unfortunately can be that simple especially if they have been brainwashed to believe such a thing.

Also, watch the pole polisher at least. He is utterly hilarious but it is saddening he used his power to press his sexual perversions on someone.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 3 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
11-04-2013, 06:52 PM
(11-04-2013 02:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Nothing left to say.

I'm glad you're still here.

You asked for evidence that religion is used to control people and you've been swamped with a truckload.

Do you conceed we have a point? Any other comments? Perhaps...as you've mentioned your past, you could comment on whether religion was used to control you?
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post