Religion Limits My Freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
RE: Religion Limits My Freedom
It's true. And also, you should take into account cultural differences. In our country, parents even still want to be a part of their children's life even when they're married. As long as they think they're right you can't argue with that. And the suggestions of moving out now is not really a good idea because jobs here are not like there where you're only paid for the hours you've worked, or you can do baby sitting or walk your neighbors dogs and then you get paid. It's not like that here. Mostly, even college students are still dependent on their parents so fighting against our parents will be the craziest idea ever. It's a taboo. That's why most of use use other outlets to let our feelings out like friends. The only thing I'm really pissed about because my mother always uses religion to control. I can't do this because it won't please the lord. I can't go there because it's a place for worldly people and god might not protect me because it's not his will that I'll be there. I should be ALWAYS contemplating on the word of god, spending ALL hours I have to strengthen my faith. And it gets "shitier"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
RE: Religion Limits My Freedom
While humanists promote being strong, resilient, autonomous, and assertive, many churches claim that people must be subordinate to God, and that personal identity and self-esteem reside only in the relationship with Jesus. In other words, individuals are worthless without God or Jesus in their hearts. This was a recurrent theme in Paul’s writings:
“For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself” (Gal. 6:3, KJV), and
“Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?” (Rom. 9:20–21, KJV), and
“For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith” (Rom. 12:3, KJV).

In my opinion Paul tried to make people feel small so that he himself, as their supposed connection with God, felt big. He was focused on enhancing his own importance and controlling others, and many of today’s preachers are little different.

A commonly quoted part of scripture is
“Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall” (Prov. 16:18, KJV), written by we don’t know who, but he was probably a priest. Ordinary people mustn’t be proud or God will put them back in their place!

Many believers have a heartfelt, perhaps subconscious conviction that their innermost self is at fault and inferior. This is particularly true for women, who can have their self-esteem squashed by studying the Bible.

Preachers claim people get “grace” from God. The family dog might wag his tail when his master pats him on the head, but pretend praise from an imaginary man in the sky can’t create real self-esteem, particularly in someone who’s been told they were born a sinner and are nothing without god.

This contrasts starkly with Aristotle’s humanist ethos that a healthy self-esteem, being the mean between undue humility and empty vanity, is necessary for a meaningful life.

Some progressive Christians stress the importance of self-esteem, and many preachers claim people are worthy and lovable. Yet the dogma deems that Jesus died for people because they’re so sinful.

I encourage all Christians to recognize their own power and worth. You are unique, valuable and beautiful, particularly if you decide to believe it. Your own intellect and ideals are real and valuable, and you don’t need god’s grace. Patronizing preachers use the bible to control you. Don’t let them, as they’re only putting you down. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...yYA420F0).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post