Religion Poisons Everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 05:36 PM
RE: Religion Poisons Everything
(07-04-2013 04:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Was going for a sampler platter.

Tasty selection Thumbsup

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 06:44 PM by smidgen.)
I have a friend who is catholic and posted some shit on fb about abortion and all the murders of babies. I flipped and threw a bunch of this right back in her face. About all the murders that have been done in the name of god. It's a huge pet peeve with me. The catholic church and their holier than thou attitude. Makes me angry just thinking about it. Normally she snaps right back but nothing. I had to make sure she had not blocked me. I think she deleted the post. She knew I was right. I also threw in the fact that I could have been murdered for being a witch or being filled with demons because of the fact that I'm epileptic.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
07-04-2013, 06:50 PM
(07-04-2013 06:40 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I have a friend who is catholic and posted some shit on fb about abortion and all the murders of babies. I flipped and threw a bunch of this right back in her face. About all the murders that have been done in the name of god. It's a huge pet peeve with me. The catholic church and their holier than thou attitude. Makes me angry just thinking about it. Normally she snaps right back but nothing. I had to make sure she had not blocked me. I think she deleted the post. She knew I was right. I also threw in the fact that I could have been murdered for being a witch or being filled with demons because of the fact that I'm epileptic.

Are you associating with the "dark ages" side?
As you well know, if we don't understand it, it must be god or the devil.
Sometimes I become apoplectic over this stuff but I don't think its the same thing you have Big Grin

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
It has often occurred to me that no sane or decent person would acknowledge belonging to any secular organization that has been found guilty of such atrocities. They would be ashamed to have called themselves by the name of that organization, and would resign immediately upon learning of horrors of the past. No decent person would succeed politically if allied with such an organization. The shame of supporting atrocities would cripple their ability to be elected to office.

If I told you I was a member of the KKK, you would be horrified, and would most likely shun me altogether. You would be right to do so.

When it is your religion however, it may very well assist you in gaining political office, and no one will be concerned for a moment. This double standard is so disgusting to me, that I cannot express my intolerance strongly enough. I for one do not tolerate such hypocritical stupidity. Join me in mocking and shunning anyone who supports such organizations, no matter what their progresses over the years.

I don't find the fact that your religion has only recently stopped torturing people mercilessly for believing something different than you to be a sign of goodness and progress. I find it an utter insult to mankind that decent people have no risen up and exterminated your entire faith, as payment for its crimes. Sadly decent people are decent. We will have to rely on the religious to exterminate each other.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 1 user Likes Prometheus762's post
08-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Anti-theism has been responsible for violence and death too.

Just sayin

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
08-04-2013, 02:54 AM
example ? 'cos religion you don't even have to try and look for them.
08-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Communist nations have tried to stamp out religion. Even to the point of killing and torturing believers. Google religious persecution in Russia.

08-04-2013, 03:22 AM
(08-04-2013 03:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Communist nations have tried to stamp out religion. Even to the point of killing and torturing believers. Google religious persecution in Russia.

I'll give you this one, though I believe it is more to do with the Communists sanctifying the state and consolidating power rather than because of atheism.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-04-2013, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2013 03:35 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(08-04-2013 03:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 03:03 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Communist nations have tried to stamp out religion. Even to the point of killing and torturing believers. Google religious persecution in Russia.

I'll give you this one, though I believe it is more to do with the Communists sanctifying the state and consolidating power rather than because of atheism.

I didn't say atheism. I said anti-theism. If religion is evil because people use it as an excuse to commit volience on others, so is anti-theism.

But I agree with you. Generally there are going to be ulterior motives for the violence and religion/anti-theism is just the excuse.

08-04-2013, 03:50 AM
(08-04-2013 03:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 03:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I'll give you this one, though I believe it is more to do with the Communists sanctifying the state and consolidating power rather than because of atheism.

I didn't say atheism. I said anti-theism. If religion is evil because people use it as an excuse to commit volience on others, so is anti-theism.

But I agree with you. Generally there are going to be ulterior motives for the violence and religion/anti-theism is just the excuse.

Ultimately the root cause of most of these is tribalism, religion however give a handy excuse for following through with the act. Much easier to stamp out the "other" if you have holy writ to do so.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense