Religion Poisons Everything

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 04:04 AM
RE: Religion Poisons Everything
(08-04-2013 03:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-04-2013 03:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I didn't say atheism. I said anti-theism. If religion is evil because people use it as an excuse to commit volience on others, so is anti-theism.

But I agree with you. Generally there are going to be ulterior motives for the violence and religion/anti-theism is just the excuse.

Ultimately the root cause of most of these is tribalism, religion however give a handy excuse for following through with the act. Much easier to stamp out the "other" if you have holy writ to do so.

I suspect that anti-theists who torture and murder believers rationalize their actions as means to make the world a better place.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2013, 06:08 AM
I hate it when people boil down religion to "Christianity, Islam, Jews". There are more religions than those ones.

With that being said, I completely agree that those three are the worst religions with the stupidest followers.
Then again, humans always find an excuse to do really stupid shit.
Even if we somehow managed to remove all religion, I'm sure people would just find new excuses to be dumbasses and promote violence.
08-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Pakistan:

Let’s have a look at some acts of violence and vandalism perpetrated against different religious communities in the year 2013:
Shrine of Ghulam Shah Ghazi was bombed in Shikarpur, Sindh, killing Pir Syed Hajan Shah, a spiritual leader and Gaddi Nasheen (spiritual descendant) of the saint honoured at the shrine, and scores of devotees;

a bomb ripped apart residential flats in Abbas Town, Karachi, causing massive mayhem and bloodshed; hundreds of Hazaras were targeted with bombs and sniper shootings in Quetta;

and a residential colony of Christians, Joseph Town, was reduced to cinders because one of its Christian residents had allegedly made blasphemous remarks against Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp...2013_pg3_5

Imagine no religion... - John Lennon

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
08-04-2013, 08:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide

Can't forget this lovely bit of work preached from the pulpit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-04-2013, 10:07 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-5757...-marathon/

My money is on jihadist, lovely religion that spawned those emabassadors of peace Angry

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
16-04-2013, 05:32 AM
(15-04-2013 10:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-5757...-marathon/

My money is on jihadist, lovely religion that spawned those emabassadors of peace Angry

I'm going to guess domestic religious nuts. Bet a $1?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 06:15 AM
(16-04-2013 05:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:07 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-5757...-marathon/

I'm going to guess domestic religious nuts. Bet a $1?

Well, what if they were American jihadists? My bet is on Islam, would your bet be a different religion?

16-04-2013, 06:19 AM
(16-04-2013 06:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 05:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm going to guess domestic religious nuts. Bet a $1?

Well, what if they were American jihadists? My bet is on Islam, would your bet be a different religion?

Yes, Christians.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-04-2013, 08:07 AM
(16-04-2013 06:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 06:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Well, what if they were American jihadists? My bet is on Islam, would your bet be a different religion?

Yes, Christians.

Ok then, $1 it is. Must be a bill with the words in God We Trust marked out and initialed by the loser Yes

Here's another bit of blaspheming news, I have to now go research Omar Khayyam

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr...blasphemhy

"The 43-year-old went on trial in October accused of denigrating Islam in a series of tweets earlier last year. In one message he retweeted a verse from a poem by Omar Khayyám in which the 11th-century Persian poet attacks pious hypocrisy: "You say rivers of wine flow in heaven, is heaven a tavern to you? You say two huris [companions] await each believer there, is heaven a brothel to you?" In other tweets, he made fun of a muezzin (a caller to prayer) and certain religious practices."

16-04-2013, 08:46 AM
(16-04-2013 08:07 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 06:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, Christians.

Ok then, $1 it is. Must be a bill with the words in God We Trust marked out and initialed by the loser Yes

Here's another bit of blaspheming news, I have to now go research Omar Khayyam

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr...blasphemhy

"The 43-year-old went on trial in October accused of denigrating Islam in a series of tweets earlier last year. In one message he retweeted a verse from a poem by Omar Khayyám in which the 11th-century Persian poet attacks pious hypocrisy: "You say rivers of wine flow in heaven, is heaven a tavern to you? You say two huris [companions] await each believer there, is heaven a brothel to you?" In other tweets, he made fun of a muezzin (a caller to prayer) and certain religious practices."

We're on. Big Grin