Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma
I know I'll catch my usual flame, but enough is enough.

Seriously folks.
Why do we continue to "ask" the various theists here and elsewhere about "god" all the time? They all have a different view and are all full of BS in their own unique way which is no surprise to any atheist using common sense.
All this wasted cyber ink and jibber jabber when we should really be discussing, with zeal, how to eliminate this scourge on humanity and move ourselves forward.

What is it going to take for hard core theists to finally realize that they are standing in a quagmire of danger and silliness that has NOTHING to stand on? We do not need more theist discussion, but more Atheist discussion.
I mean we have candidates for president who have "Armageddon" on the mind. This isn't normal.
People are still dying over something that there is NO evidence for every single day! Enough of this craziness!

We have FAR more reasons to think that there is NO god yet the conversation is always for the theist to explain their version of the god meme. This seems pointless to me. Have we not heard them all already? Have we not already discounted them all?
When do we move on?

Oh, KC can ramble endlessly about his arrogant and callous version of god and we can question him endlessly on his baseless views and all, but what purpose does that really serve? OK sure, we now know how KC understands it. Whoop-dee-do. Give me ten theologians and I'll give you ten different versions. None are based in reality.
In the case of KC, he has already stated that this forum only entrenches him deeper. What that means to the atheist community is that we have created another confident and hard core knucklehead who will throw all sense to the wind and continue the god meme and gleefully pass it onto the next mind that is dumb enough or naive enough to consume it.
We fail every time there is discussion about what a theist thinks is true. Empowering KC is a clear example of that.
We should be discussing what we KNOW to be true and how we can eliminate false and dangerous beliefs from permeating our society. For those who will say, "that's why we talk to KC!", you will have to explain to me what you learned from him that makes it possible for Atheism to grow. All we have really learned from him is his particular wacky view and taken up a lot of brains and time doing it.

This place needs to stiffen up a bit in my opinion. This isn't really a game any longer.
Thanks for allowing my opinion.
Ok, flame away.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2012, 01:36 PM
RE: Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma
As cathartic as that may be for you, it goes very much against the grain to treat people in a similar way to the way in which I hated being treated by the religious guys.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-02-2012, 01:45 PM
(27-02-2012 01:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  As cathartic as that may be for you, it goes very much against the grain to treat people in a similar way to the way in which I hated being treated by the religious guys.

Nothing wrong with fighting fire with fire.

What could we possibly say or do that would exceed their claim that we are all damned to hell for eternity.
Or think about it this way.
Religion and false belief have kidnapped our society and is limiting its growth like a cancer.
Any and all treatments that will cure the problem should be used.
Whatever it takes at this point is what we should be doing.

27-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I hear your frustrations, TT, and don't disagree with the need to stand up against theology that affects our government and society. But on a personal level, I can't agree with the tactics you would see us all employ.

To illustrate the extent of how I see your suggestion: are we to give up our friendships with Christians? I'm not going to bash my family just because they have a different viewpoint than I do. And KC is a friend, so I'll give him a hard time about his delusions, but I'm not going to alienate him because he has silly theology. I can't see any reason to "stiffen up" the forum. It's a place for free thinking, not for think my way or it's the highway. Or at least, that's how I see it.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
27-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I would argue that fighting fire with fire is... not going to work - the building will still burn down.

Religion is preprogrammed to deal with head on attacks. By acting as an angry atheist we give credence to e.g. that irritating prick William Lane Craig. Also we act as they expect servants of Satan to act, "oppressing" the Christians.

I get where you're coming from. I really do. I just think that as a strategy to counter religion it's not going to work. I think first convincing them that we are not a threat, then letting human curiosity and education do the rest is the most likely strategy to succeed (I don't pretend to have thought it through with any great clarity - it's not a topic which is on my agenda). And I know that religious people are actively countering that approach by e.g. trying to quell teaching of science, but I *still* assert that that has *got* to be a better way than head on confrontation.
27-02-2012, 02:01 PM
It is the moderate position that allows the radical fundy to flourish.
By default, KC is endorsing the worst behavior that mankind can generate.
You should give him a much harder time of it.

His theology should be the first thing to bash until he realizes how wrong and damaging he really is to out world.

27-02-2012, 02:02 PM
are you talking about an unholy war?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
27-02-2012, 02:02 PM
You act like I just barbequed your dog.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
27-02-2012, 02:39 PM
If we refuse to have dialog then we create a situation where it's us vs them. If instead we are willing to reach out then the number of extremists automatically goes down. It becomes laughable when someone says "those atheists are all out to get us Christians" (or words to that effect) because everyone has some atheist friend and they know that they're not that bad.

That is then a situation where there's good ground for sowing the seeds of doubt (yes KC, this is Satan's strategy session - fear not - it's only 'cos God told us to ). If we don't have dialog with the Christians they'll just out-reproduce us Tongue
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-02-2012, 02:44 PM
(27-02-2012 02:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You act like I just barbequed your dog.

You would BBQ your dog if the voice in your head said to do it.

[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post