Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 04:45 PM
RE: Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma
(27-02-2012 04:20 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  KC IS part of the point.
Man I hate to say it, but KC may have slipped you a pair of god glasses.

You don't care if KC is playing this place? Really?
And what's worse, you can't really tell the difference.

Condescending like an evolution vs creation argument?
Is the ardent Evolutionist condescending to dismiss the creationist? Of course not. Yet somehow the same attitude does not apply on an individual to his other beliefs?

This is really sad. "I think that you're wrong when you say that, but even if you're somehow right- I still don't care."

If I am right, no matter how much you may hate my freakin' guts, you should accept that.

Nope, I won't tell you what to say or how to say it. That is your business.
Just think about the much bigger picture is all I'm saying.
Religion keeps its sinister grip on things by deceptively keeping itself alive from within the moderate ranks.

What? Seriously? You're telling me that I'm wearing god glasses now?

Suddenly the evolution/creation debate is the same as rejecting all Christians and behaving like a giant ass to them because they're religious?

We talk about a lot of things here- religion, theology, and philosophy among those things. If you want to introduce the topic of conversation for how to get rid of religion, or more atheist threads- then just do it. You already are! Keep doing it. My point is, don't tell me not to talk about religion, theology, and philosophy.

And why would I not care if KC is "playing us"? Because it doesn't matter. Not at all. It's like you have some sort of conspiratorial grudge against KC. He's masterminding some sort of religious coup and he's going to take over this little site, and we are just too stupid to see! He's slipped us all these god glasses and now we can't see his dark deeds. He operates from the shadows! No one sees it... but you do! Oh yes, you do! If only we would listen! But oh no, he's going to go back to his church and those evil Christian forums and show them all that we're just Christians who don't know it yet!

Get real. Relax. Have fun, and enjoy your stay. And I don't hate your guts, I just think that this thread is stupid and irks me.

Lastly.... What is it that you REALLY want? KC gone? Is that going to kill religion? Are any Christians allowed on this site? What standard must we apply when interacting with them? Will you be there to guide us along the correct path in case we misstep?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
27-02-2012, 04:46 PM
(27-02-2012 04:20 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 04:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're just fulfilling scripture, TT. You do know that, right?

Matthew 5:10-12

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

You're a nutbag. If that doesn't prove it then I don't know what would.

Love the condescending nature of that eh?
As if I/we really wan't you and your idiotic belief buddies to destroy what it took the universe 4 billion years to make and make us feel like we are just falling for the big plan? Angry

I give you a big one finger salute on that one.

So, you're saying that you're not doing exactly what someone said you would do ~2000 years before you did it?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-02-2012, 04:48 PM
(27-02-2012 04:46 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 04:20 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 04:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You're just fulfilling scripture, TT. You do know that, right?

Matthew 5:10-12

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

You're a nutbag. If that doesn't prove it then I don't know what would.

Love the condescending nature of that eh?
As if I/we really wan't you and your idiotic belief buddies to destroy what it took the universe 4 billion years to make and make us feel like we are just falling for the big plan? Angry

I give you a big one finger salute on that one.

So, you're saying that you're not doing exactly what someone said you would do ~2000 years before you did it?

It doesn't take a god to predict you're gonna be persecuted for believing some of that crazy stuff in the bible. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
27-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Truth be told, I don't visit Christian forums... like ever.

Actually since leaving LUE, TTA is the only forum I go to.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
27-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't see how he is playing this forum?

None of what he says about religion makes any sense to any of us, so how can he be playing us?

I don't much engage in conversations about religion in real life, I just get annoyed, so I avoid it alltogether, who needs it. Not me.

Here, I am more likely to read what is said in favor of religion, since I can just stop reading mid sentence and walk away and laugh or whatever I feel like doing.

The world is changing rapidly towards atheism - the western world that is.

I am a bit older than most of you, and I can look at my grandparent's generation - devout catholic, every little rule adhered to, religion totally dominated their life.

My parent's generation - maybe 20% closet atheist. The rest religious, but not as devout. NO ONE came out as atheist in those days.

My generation, maybe 60% religious in their original religion, maybe 15% converted to buddhism or some such thing (Hare Krishna, mine is the Hippie generation)and the rest atheist, mostly closeted but some do come out.

My children's generation (personally I chose not to have children) is a LOT more outspoken and I see hardly any attending mass.

Consequently their kids are not growing up in church like we did in my generation. And they have the internet. They have sooo much information available that we simply didn't have.

What will kill religion is not a war or agression or confrontation, what will kill religion is the availability of information.

I know in some areas it still looks like everyone is devout, but don't be fooled by that. That is where closet atheists thrive.

This forum has so many young people who are outspoken atheists, it warms the cockles of my heart.

It's definitely coming, the end of religion is.

There is no reason to shun religious people, they are just people like you and me . Being exposed to friendly atheists is only helping them to sort out their own heads. Or, at least they won't be so shocked when their kids or grandkids turn around and say: "you know, I really don't believe all that shit".

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-02-2012, 05:04 PM
(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Lastly.... What is it that you REALLY want? KC gone?

Well now, if you are going to allow me ANYTHING I want, whoo-hoo!
I would want KC to come to his senses, to then go home, de-convert his family, and then go on to make some solid contribution to humanity.
Once that happens across the entire globe, TTA site can go away and Seth can start up "Reason Mingle" (:dodgySmile .com or something. Tongue
We would have no need for an Atheist forum anywhere because religion would have been laughed off the planet.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Is that going to kill religion?

No. It would be dead by that time already.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Are any Christians allowed on this site? What standard must we apply when interacting with them?

There wouldn't be any. They are all Scientists now and always apply The Scientific Method to everything they do.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Will you be there to guide us along the correct path in case we misstep?

Sure! I'd love to see it go all the way but you can't trust me. You MUST use The Scientific Method for all decisions. Big Grin

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
27-02-2012, 05:06 PM
(27-02-2012 05:04 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Lastly.... What is it that you REALLY want? KC gone?

Well now, if you are going to allow me ANYTHING I want, whoo-hoo!
I would want KC to come to his senses, to then go home, de-convert his family, and then go on to make some solid contribution to humanity.
Once that happens across the entire globe, TTA site can go away and Seth can start up "Reason Mingle" (:dodgySmile .com or something. Tongue
We would have no need for an Atheist forum anywhere because religion would have been laughed off the planet.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Is that going to kill religion?

No. It would be dead by that time already.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Are any Christians allowed on this site? What standard must we apply when interacting with them?

There wouldn't be any. They are all Scientists now and always apply The Scientific Method to everything they do.

(27-02-2012 04:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  Will you be there to guide us along the correct path in case we misstep?

Sure! I'd love to see it go all the way but you can't trust me. You MUST use The Scientific Method for all decisions. Big Grin

Awesome, sounds good! What do we do in the mean time? Big Grin
27-02-2012, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 05:31 PM by TalladegaTom.)
The majority of Americans are YECs.
It's embarrassing.
Ridicule and contempt is all I can muster for these types and the organizations that perpetuate the ideas.

(27-02-2012 05:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  Awesome, sounds good! What do we do in the mean time? Big Grin

Stomp out dopey religious belief EVEN if it is your friends and family.
Make the KCs of the world feel the embarrassment that they should by driving home the point and don't let them up until they figure it out.
Vote and ridicule those in power who cannot understand reality and loudly replace them.

The chain has to be broken sometime.
Now is as good as any and the sooner the better.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
27-02-2012, 06:06 PM
(27-02-2012 02:44 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 02:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  You act like I just barbequed your dog.

You would BBQ your dog if the voice in your head said to do it.

Now, now. No need for that. You don't hafta interact with KC. KC real to me; if the barbarians were at the gate, he'd help fight 'em back. These other things are words and simulations,where we try to suss each other out from behind avatars. You wanna take it to the streets and bust some heads, that too may come to pass, but don't burn all yer fuel on a simulation, K?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-02-2012, 02:56 AM
(27-02-2012 05:07 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 05:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  Awesome, sounds good! What do we do in the mean time? Big Grin

Stomp out dopey religious belief EVEN if it is your friends and family.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that quickly. But it IS happening. And it's picking up steam.

One thing that I keep remembering that Seth said, was that even though the person you're arguing with at the moment is not budging on their belief in god, the other people in the room (chat room, blog, forum) are listening and watching. So it really matters that we behave intelligently. If atheists continue to calmly, intelligently and respectfully destroy the theistic argument, the people on the fringes will take notice and come to their senses.

"Religion is the binky of a teen-age humanity."
[+] 3 users Like yosemitesam's post