Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma
(28-02-2012 02:56 AM)yosemitesam Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 05:07 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(27-02-2012 05:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  Awesome, sounds good! What do we do in the mean time? Big Grin

Stomp out dopey religious belief EVEN if it is your friends and family.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that quickly. But it IS happening. And it's picking up steam.

One thing that I keep remembering that Seth said, was that even though the person you're arguing with at the moment is not budging on their belief in god, the other people in the room (chat room, blog, forum) are listening and watching. So it really matters that we behave intelligently. If atheists continue to calmly, intelligently and respectfully destroy the theistic argument, the people on the fringes will take notice and come to their senses.

Well-said sir, well-said.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2012, 10:52 AM
(27-02-2012 05:07 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  The majority of Americans are YECs.
It's embarrassing.
Ridicule and contempt is all I can muster for these types and the organizations that perpetuate the ideas.

(27-02-2012 05:06 PM)kineo Wrote:  Awesome, sounds good! What do we do in the mean time? Big Grin

Stomp out dopey religious belief EVEN if it is your friends and family.
Make the KCs of the world feel the embarrassment that they should by driving home the point and don't let them up until they figure it out.
Vote and ridicule those in power who cannot understand reality and loudly replace them.

The chain has to be broken sometime.
Now is as good as any and the sooner the better.

[Image: SMH.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-02-2012, 10:57 AM
(28-02-2012 02:56 AM)yosemitesam Wrote:  ... If atheists continue to calmly, intelligently and respectfully destroy the theistic argument, the people on the fringes will take notice and come to their senses.

Agreed.

On the other hand, when a theist shows up (anywhere) who declares that they will not change and who's belief system is constantly projected, maybe some of those people on the fringe fall to the silly side because it sounds good.

That is a reason why a guy like KC shows up here and only here (by his own admission). He is preaching his faith and likes to feed his own faith driven ego by means of "discussion".
Most here happily comply with that request and keep feeding the meme.

I will also say that it takes a combination of all Four Horsemen technique's to be effective to all people.
Some get turned off by the harsh Hitchens way and prefer the more mellow (but equally derisive) Harris approach.
Others love a good Hitchslap and use that way first.
Different strokes for different folks.
In the end, we must act as one and kill religion. For all of humanities sake.
If that means shunning the unchangeable KC's to the corner, so be it.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2012, 11:17 AM
(28-02-2012 10:57 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 02:56 AM)yosemitesam Wrote:  ... If atheists continue to calmly, intelligently and respectfully destroy the theistic argument, the people on the fringes will take notice and come to their senses.

Agreed.

On the other hand, when a theist shows up (anywhere) who declares that they will not change and who's belief system is constantly projected, maybe some of those people on the fringe fall to the silly side because it sounds good.

That is a reason why a guy like KC shows up here and only here (by his own admission). He is preaching his faith and likes to feed his own faith driven ego by means of "discussion".

I will also say that it takes a combination of all Four Horsemen technique's to be effective to all people.
Some get turned off by the harsh Hitchens way and prefer the more mellow (but equally derisive) Harris approach.
Others love a good Hitchslap and use that way first.
Different strokes for different folks.
In the end, we must act as one and kill religion. For all of humanities sake.

[Image: umnoc.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
28-02-2012, 11:27 AM
(28-02-2012 10:57 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  On the other hand, when a theist shows up (anywhere) who declares that they will not change and who's belief system is constantly projected, maybe some of those people on the fringe fall to the silly side because it sounds good.
You say that like it's a bad thing. If they spend a bit of time on the silly side they will value the apparently-not-so-silly side more, if it is indeed not so silly. They must however make up their own minds, and there are plenty of very reasonable theists who will be delighted to point at you foaming at the mouth and say "you guys wanna be like that guy, really?"

Quote:That is a reason why a guy like KC shows up here and only here (by his own admission). He is preaching his faith and likes to feed his own faith driven ego by means of "discussion".
He's not preaching. We debate 'cos he replies. We ask 'cos he's answering from the trenches - you think we'd get far arguing with theists if we were never exposed to true believers? I don't fancy going to a Christian forum, I'd die of yuck.

Quote:In the end, we must act as one and kill religion. For all of humanities sake.

Horseshit. It's dying quite nicely on its own and I battle to see why you're so aggressive? *what's got you so riled up TT* ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-02-2012, 11:45 AM
*what's got you so riled up TT* ?

Well, powerful religion types here in America badly want control of a Women's body and her ability to get an abortion for starters. I kinda like Women and don't want to read of another one having a coat hanger abortion in some alley somewhere.
The religious right also wants you to keep donating and funding all of their wacky agendas like killing Science, teaching Creationism in school, interjecting false memes everywhere (those dam lesbians caused Katrina) among many others.
It is a clear and present danger. (OK, sorry for that movie rip)

I do find it sad that so many here fail to see the bigger picture and the greater danger of what is happening.
Yes, there is some movement our way, but the push back by religion has so far been massive.
We do need to step it up.

28-02-2012, 11:51 AM
(28-02-2012 11:45 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  We do need to step it up.

So, your "stepping up" is insulting a theist on an atheist forum via text?

Quite the activist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-02-2012, 11:58 AM
(28-02-2012 11:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, your "stepping up" is insulting a theist on an atheist forum via text?

Quite the activist.

What would you suggest?

I am not insulting the theist, but I AM insulting the theists methods and beliefs.

28-02-2012, 12:02 PM
(28-02-2012 11:58 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(28-02-2012 11:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, your "stepping up" is insulting a theist on an atheist forum via text?

Quite the activist.

What would you suggest?

I am not insulting the theist, but I AM insulting the theists methods and beliefs.

Pretty much what everyone has been saying: stop doing what you're currently doing.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-02-2012, 12:09 PM
(28-02-2012 12:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pretty much what everyone has been saying: stop doing what you're currently doing.

LMAO!!
But it's in the plan! bwaaa!!!!