Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Religion and Faith - A Metaphorically Induced Coma
(28-02-2012 11:45 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I do find it sad that so many here fail to see the bigger picture and the greater danger of what is happening.
Yes, there is some movement our way, but the push back by religion has so far been massive.
We do need to step it up.

No. Just no. You don't know what picture I see. I very clearly see that being an ass to an undeserving guy on the forums here is NOT going to change the course of this nation (especially when this forum consists of many outside of the US) and is not going to remove religion from the picture. It's not even a step in the right direction. That's the bigger picture. Not your delusion of grandeur- thinking that you're gonna Hitch slap this guy out of here and then "that's one down for the cause!".

You are way off base with this. And I think it's time you let this grudge-match against KC go. You don't think we handle the issue of religion appropriately? We've argued his beliefs and other Christians' beliefs to death. It's up to them to take it from there. But I will not snub them just because they don't change here and now on the spot. No.

Step it up in other ways. Step in up in ways that will actually matter- get involved on a local level. Make more YouTube videos. Get exposure. Be an activist in a public arena. Fight battles that will actually matter, not this nonsense that you're pushing here on this forum.

Whatever, I'm probably wasting my breath. You're just going to dig in more- convinced that YOU see the bigger picture. YOU know how to fix things. And fixing things means refusing to shoot the shit, or talk religion, or talk science, or talk philosophy, or theology with anyone who is unwilling to change their religion in front of you. That is not going to further the cause of exposing Santorum and the religious right for their bullshit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
28-02-2012, 12:26 PM
(28-02-2012 11:45 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  *what's got you so riled up TT* ?

Well, powerful religion types here in America badly want control of a Women's body and her ability to get an abortion for starters. I kinda like Women and don't want to read of another one having a coat hanger abortion in some alley somewhere.
The religious right also wants you to keep donating and funding all of their wacky agendas like killing Science, teaching Creationism in school, interjecting false memes everywhere (those dam lesbians caused Katrina) among many others.
It is a clear and present danger. (OK, sorry for that movie rip)

This I can sympathize with and agree with you on. We do not fail to see the bigger picture, these things worry us as much as you. But getting out the shotgun is not going to solve the root problem.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-02-2012, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2012 12:35 PM by Erxomai.)
Amen, Brother Kineo.

To me, being a Thinking Atheist means that I not only think about ideas, but I also think about how I treat others. If I were still a theist, I wouldn't listen to one word of a bullying hitch-slapper. I would just see some prick who has a Mad-on for God because he didn't get the pony he wanted when he was 9.

I would advise any militant atheists to consider the issues behind their anger. If the ideas of militants were to form our future as a species, I want no part of it.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
28-02-2012, 12:44 PM
(28-02-2012 11:45 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  *what's got you so riled up TT* ?

Well, powerful religion types here in America badly want control of a Women's body and her ability to get an abortion for starters. I kinda like Women and don't want to read of another one having a coat hanger abortion in some alley somewhere.
The religious right also wants you to keep donating and funding all of their wacky agendas like killing Science, teaching Creationism in school, interjecting false memes everywhere (those dam lesbians caused Katrina) among many others.
It is a clear and present danger. (OK, sorry for that movie rip)

I do find it sad that so many here fail to see the bigger picture and the greater danger of what is happening.
Yes, there is some movement our way, but the push back by religion has so far been massive.
We do need to step it up.

I think that you fail to see the bigger picture yourself, I understand how religious morons are affecting the US, and how that will affect that country in the long run. But trust me, you guys are working wonders as a bad example for the rest of the world, and I'd be willing to bet that your situation is going to work fantastically in a global scale for reason to prevail over fairy tales. I'm not saying that maybe you shouldn't speak a bit louder over there, but remember that USA is still in the global spotlight, if atheist over there start making something that FOX could label as a witch hunt, it would be a disaster for the "atheist cause" (if there's such thing) in the rest of the world.

And don't forget one thing, this particular meme is thousands of years old, is rooted in every single aspect of our lives, our language (did you know that in spanish the words hello and bye -"hola" and "adios"- both have religious origin "allah" and "dios" (god) respectively) the way we build our identities and feel our feelings, it's rooted too deep to be taken away drastically, it must be a work of centuries, not years. So be calm, don't give up, and DON'T PANIC Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 4 users Like nach_in's post