Religion and Jury Duty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 05:21 AM
RE: Religion and Jury Duty
I got called in for jury selection on a civil suit a few years ago. The plaintiff got rear ended by the defendant and was suing for pain and suffering from his resulting facet syndrome (chronic back pain).

I told them I was an ER nurse. When they asked if there were any connections between me and either party, including attorneys, I said "Y'all have probably worked with my husband - he's a detective for ***."

I didn't get selected. Shame, that.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-05-2015, 05:27 AM
Anyone else get a giggle that the judge's name is Pontius?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
12-05-2015, 05:36 AM
I'll use reverse psychology and tell them I'll make a great juror because I'm psychic and don't really even need to bother hearing the evidence.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-05-2015, 05:55 AM
[Image: psychgif11.gif]

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
12-05-2015, 06:20 AM
I was called twice for jury service in my late teens. I was picked for one case which involved a serious assault on a police officer by a father and son. I was just about to get sworn in when the prosecution objected and I had to leave the stand. I was into punk rock / new wave music then so I assume my dress sense did not impress the prosecution. In their eyes I probably looked like someone who didn't like the police force.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
12-05-2015, 06:28 AM
(12-05-2015 05:27 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Anyone else get a giggle that the judge's name is Pontius?

... That moment when you are scrolling through the comments hoping your funny comment wasn't already taken, and then you see Nurse said it on the last page!! Arrrrrrrrgh!!!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
12-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Got called for Federal, but never got a case.

I see it as an important civic duty. Like serving in the military.

It's something you have to do - to help your fellow citizen.

Someday - it might be you and your lawyer trying to impanel a jury to decide YOUR fate.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
12-05-2015, 07:10 AM
(12-05-2015 06:28 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 05:27 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Anyone else get a giggle that the judge's name is Pontius?

... That moment when you are scrolling through the comments hoping your funny comment wasn't already taken, and then you see Nurse said it on the last page!! Arrrrrrrrgh!!!

Just channeling my inner Pablo Cool

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-05-2015, 07:40 AM
(11-05-2015 11:56 AM)jennybee Wrote:  One of the best excuses I have heard to get out of jury duty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...thers.html

... Except that judgement is pretty much the basis of human interaction...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-05-2015, 08:31 AM
I've actually only been contacted once and I didn't know until after getting back home to a giant stack of mail after being out of the country for a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have minded just doing it. Whoops.

'Murican Canadian