Religion and Psychosis: Nobody is Safe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Religion and Psychosis: Nobody is Safe
**I was trying to figure out if I wanted to put this in "Atheism and Theism" or "Health and Psychology" thread. I think it can fit in either, but I decided to put it here.**

I watch and read any and all "True Crime" accounts. I am fascinated with police investigation and forensic sciences. I have been obsessed with this since I discovered Forensic Files at the age of twelve. I don't get affected or I guess, more accurately, I'm almost "clinical." (I see things from a learning perspective and I can hold in my personal emotions.) I have also wanted to be a pathologist for many years. The only thing that makes me have second thoughts is having to perform autopsies on children. I am incapable of not getting emotional when I hear and/or see babies harmed in any way.

I still watch the stories about them. Call it a morbid obsession, I guess.

I learned about Andrea Yates in 2003. She was a mother who killed her FIVE children, all of whom were under the age of ten, by drowning them one-by-one in the bathtub. She didn't try to hide the fact that she committed the murders; In fact, she is the one who called the police. When interviewed by investigators, she calmly relayed the horrific events and said that she had to kill them so that they could go to Heaven before they could sin anymore. Voices told her to do it because Satan was trying to influence their behavior. She murdered her precious babies in order to save their souls.

I watched a news story about her in my psychology class. I remember getting a bit sick to my stomach. Other classmates voiced their "hatred" for this woman. They said stuff like, "She killed those angels! She's going to Hell. What kind of mom could kill her own kids?"

I remember almost "defending" her at the time. I have also been interested in the human mind and behavior. Although she claimed committing the murders due to religious beliefs, I still saw it for what it was: She was severely mentally ill. She needed help and constant supervision. She was able to hide just how demented she was, so doctors were "okay" with letting her be alone with the children and release her from the mental hospital. (She committed the murders in only ONE HOUR'S time.)

Watching a special on Andrea Yates just a bit ago inspired me to vent about this. I realized my hands were clenched throughout the entire segment of how the crimes were committed. I got teary-eyed at one point.

I was going to write about other mothers, but I decided this post was long enough for now. I focused on just the ONE mother at this time.

One thing I'd like to say is that I HATE when religious people say, "How will you be able to do the 'morally sound' thing if you don't even believe in God?"

"People KILL because they believe in God."

I also watched the last part of the program, and the father of the children and the killer's husband said, "I know they aren't suffering now. They are in good hands..."

Censored

People believe and have faith in "God's Plan," right? Well, why did God allow the mother (your wife) to have psychotic thoughts? Why did he allow her to be mentally ill? Why did he bless her with the gift of five, beautiful children, only to have them murdered before their age got to be in the double-digits? Why do you still have faith in this god- because, no matter what, he apparently "chose" what would happen in the lives of the children and the mother. Or do you blame Satan, too?

I REALIZE I'M RAMBLING AND I DON'T EXPECT ANYONE TO KNOW OR HAVE ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE. I DON'T CARE, THOUGH. I NEEDED TO VENT. AND I WILL FIND MORE TO WRITE SOON.

Improperly treated/non-treated or diagnosed, mentally ill people make me nervous. Add religion to that same person, and I'm terrified. Nobody is safe because "God or Satan done it."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
19-05-2013, 06:19 PM
RE: Religion and Psychosis: Nobody is Safe
Then you get the "no true Scotsman" argument that the murderous nutters aren't really Christians, too.

I think it's just that religious people are told repeatedly that being religious is the only way to be moral that they believe it. Like so many other things in religion, they accept it without questioning, then do mental gymnastics to explain why religious people do awful things (and then they say the murder victims are "in a better place" because that, too, makes them feel better).

As some folks have said, if Abraham was alive today and tried to kill his son because he heard god telling him to do so, he'd be in an institution.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
19-05-2013, 06:19 PM
OH! I meant to add that I Googled "Mothers who kill their children for religious reasons" so I could quote if need be. Well, the first result to pop up was:

Ad related to Mothers who kill their children for religious reasons

Gerber Life Insurance - GerberLife.com

Blink

PERFECT timing and irony, right?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 3 users Like Peanut's post
19-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Yates had a ppd that turned into psychosis. it wasn't the first time it happened for her either (wasn't she hospitalized after the birth of 4th kid?) I still feel that idiot husband was to blame for it all. I think he was very religious.

I don't know how religious she really was, or if her insanity was a form of confirmation bias...like others who assume the voices are angels or god. Fragile people can be easily malleable -- dunno if that was her case.

I knew a guy who would beat off and said angels were blowing him.

But before that he wasn't very religious -- in fact I would thought he was more skeptical. But when he was in late teens he was diagnosed as schizophrenic. That was when he started really "believing" I guess.

I know one day he went off his meds and seemingly vanished.

I still feel awful for his parents. They were catholic but more the "we go to mass on holiday types"

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-05-2013, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2013 06:46 PM by TheGulegon.)
Look up Marybeth Tinning. Worse! Obvious mental illness, doctor's did nothing until it was NINE times too late!! I know they're sick, that they need help, but I couldn't treat them as human. I have 3 nephews, 1 niece, 2 cousins with babies now, and my 2 best friends have an awesome 10 YO boy together. I could not be trusted in the presence of these women! I would certainly do something I regret!!!!!!!!

19-05-2013, 06:34 PM
(19-05-2013 06:19 PM)amyb Wrote:  Then you get the "no true Scotsman" argument that the murderous nutters aren't really Christians, too.
When I complained to a friend, who's Christian, that a fellow forum member had no issue telling someone they'd "go to Hell" because they didn't believe in God, his response was, "Well, that guy gives Christians a 'bad name.' No TRUE Christian would tell a person they were going to Hell in such a malicious way..."

REALLY?!

"You told me that you think my son is going to Hell because I didn't get him baptized."

"Well, that's different. And technically he might not, because it wasn't HIS choice to not get baptized. You, as his mother, should have gotten it done. He's innocent; Innocents don't go to Hell."

"I don't believe what I'm hearing right now."

19-05-2013, 06:39 PM
My grandmother told me the reason my younger child "got the autism" was because he wasnt baptized.

Then she told me god would judge me harshly for turning my back -- because I knew better. She also believed that god would just her because obviously she did something wrong.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-05-2013, 06:42 PM
(19-05-2013 06:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My grandmother told me the reason my younger child "got the autism" was because he wasnt baptized.

Then she told me god would judge me harshly for turning my back -- because I knew better. She also believed that god would just her because obviously she did something wrong.

Huh

Sadcryface I'm sorry to hear that, Momsbb. What the FUCK?!

19-05-2013, 07:01 PM
(19-05-2013 06:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My grandmother told me the reason my younger child "got the autism" was because he wasnt baptized.

I'm sorry Moms! Only thing worse than a zealot is one dressed up as a grandma. I love ya, though! Hug
I never knew I had an older sister until I was 20. She found mom, and thus, us. Ofcourse, she's been welcome ever since; I love my sister. My mother was forced by her mother, my grandma, to give her up for adoption because she was born out of wedlock, making it "not right" with god! My grandma would lock my mother in a fucking closet when company came over until she, utterly emotionally destroyed, agreed to give up her baby!!!!! I get a little choked up talking about my sister Sadcryface
But the point of the story is: If a person could do THIS to their own child over religion, then it wouldn't be a huge leap for a mentally unstable person to just eliminate the source of so much shame! Religion is poison, and I truly HATE it when it causes pain!!!!

19-05-2013, 07:18 PM
(19-05-2013 07:01 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  

I'm sorry Moms! Only thing worse than a zealot is one dressed up as a grandma. I love ya, though! Hug
I never knew I had an older sister until I was 20. She found mom, and thus, us. Ofcourse, she's been welcome ever since; I love my sister. My mother was forced by her mother, my grandma, to give her up for adoption because she was born out of wedlock, making it "not right" with god! My grandma would lock my mother in a fucking closet when company came over until she, utterly emotionally destroyed, agreed to give up her baby!!!!! I get a little choked up talking about my sister Sadcryface
But the point of the story is: If a person could do THIS to their own child over religion, then it wouldn't be a huge leap for a mentally unstable person to just eliminate the source of so much shame! Religion is poison, and I truly HATE it when it causes pain!!!!
That's... horrible. Sad