Religion and Psychosis: Nobody is Safe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2013, 07:18 PM
RE: Religion and Psychosis: Nobody is Safe
(19-05-2013 06:42 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 06:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My grandmother told me the reason my younger child "got the autism" was because he wasnt baptized.

Then she told me god would judge me harshly for turning my back -- because I knew better. She also believed that god would just her because obviously she did something wrong.

Huh

Sadcryface I'm sorry to hear that, Momsbb. What the FUCK?!

What was really the kicker for me...we're at the "gathering" to intern her ashes and when it was over the minister asked me, "what was the issue between you and your grandmother?" My husband who knew my grandma was no saint, just led me away.

I had this horrible dear-in-the-headlight look.

Just before that, other family there were talking and asked me (they all stood torgether far away from me and husband) how her and grandpa met...They met in a bar. None of them knew *that* story. But they all just knew I was an evil cunt....while we waited for them crack the niche (don't get me started on that crap). The niche was teeny (grandma got it just so she'd have my mom's name somewhere, nevermind my dad died years before that and his name was no where). The stupid family said.."why isn't your mom's ashes in there too? [your grandma] always said the three of them would be together?" grandma in her dementia riddled mind, told them all I stole my mother's ashes.

Nevermind those family members were at my grandpa's internment just few years earlier and knew the niche was empty.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2013, 07:23 PM
(19-05-2013 07:01 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 06:39 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My grandmother told me the reason my younger child "got the autism" was because he wasnt baptized.

Then she told me god would judge me harshly for turning my back -- because I knew better. She also believed that god would just her because obviously she did something wrong.

I'm sorry Moms! Only thing worse than a zealot is one dressed up as a grandma. I love ya, though! Hug
I never knew I had an older sister until I was 20. She found mom, and thus, us. Ofcourse, she's been welcome ever since; I love my sister. My mother was forced by her mother, my grandma, to give her up for adoption because she was born out of wedlock, making it "not right" with god! My grandma would lock my mother in a fucking closet when company came over until she, utterly emotionally destroyed, agreed to give up her baby!!!!! I get a little choked up talking about my sister Sadcryface
But the point of the story is: If a person could do THIS to their own child over religion, then it wouldn't be a huge leap for a mentally unstable person to just eliminate the source of so much shame! Religion is poison, and I truly HATE it when it causes pain!!!!

Yep. It's sad and stupid...I'm sorry your mom went through that -- must have been hell!

Hug

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-05-2013, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2013 08:12 PM by TheGulegon.)
At least the story has a happy ending, though. The reunion of my mother & her 1st born was almost worth it, too. Mom cried the whole time. We all hugged. My mom was actually scared we'd think she was a whore, or something. It tore me up!! I just hugged her and told her I love her no matter what. But my grandmother? "She's only your half-sister, so you don't have to side with the devil" Can you fucking believe that shit?!?!? I looked her straight in the eyes, "that is my sister, and I love her, and THAT'S IT! And if you give her even a little guff like you give mom, I will slap the HELL right out of you!" I was ready to hurt her! She just walked off indignant. Those were the last words I ever spoke to my grandmother! Sadcryface Sometimes I'm glad she's dead. And that fact makes me feel so fucking horrible Weeping
And all of this bitterness stems from where? RELIGION

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
19-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Andrea Yates did have serious post partum with earlier pregnancies. She and her husband were told by the doctors that she should not get pregnant again. They were heavily religious but there were other things at work in her slide downward. For a time they lived in an old bus. She was there with the kids while the husband went to work. She deteriorated....I think if I would have been trapped in an old bus with a bunch of kids, I wouldn't need a diagnosis to start losing it.

She had been suicidal, had been hospitalized and then released back to the bus (that they bought from a preacher...go figure). As for the no more babies suggestion...her husband believed that he was to procreate as taught by his religious beliefs.

This woman needs to have ongoing confinement, as well as care. She had a psychotic break...religious teaching twisted her delusions even further. It's not excusing her behavior but it seems to be a common theme when women kill their kids and religion comes into play. Their fragile mental state is ignored by the religious figures and they are pushed beyond what has already proven to be too much for them. Religion seems to trump what medicine advises against.

Peanut...if you decide to go back to school, you ought to look into Criminal Justice. My fascination with true crime, forensics, and psychology sent me down that path.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
19-05-2013, 08:59 PM
(19-05-2013 08:00 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  At least the story has a happy ending, though. The reunion of my mother & her 1st born was almost worth it, too. Mom cried the whole time. We all hugged. My mom was actually scared we'd think she was a whore, or something. It tore me up!! I just hugged her and told her I love her no matter what. But my grandmother? "She's only your half-sister, so you don't have to side with the devil" Can you fucking believe that shit?!?!? I looked her straight in the eyes, "that is my sister, and I love her, and THAT'S IT! And if you give her even a little guff like you give mom, I will slap the HELL right out of you!" I was ready to hurt her! She just walked off indignant. Those were the last words I ever spoke to my grandmother! Sadcryface Sometimes I'm glad she's dead. And that fact makes me feel so fucking horrible Weeping
And all of this bitterness stems from where? RELIGION

Wow! That is an incredible story! I am sorry to hear about your grandma, I can't imagine what it would be like to either feel or receive the way she was.

Good for your family reconnecting all these years later, I hope you all have special memories for years to come.

~

This whole thread has me wanting to hold my babies tighter, and my friend's kids, and my brother's kids and all the kids in the world. The children are the ones who suffer the most.

That poor mom. I am right there with you Peanut, defending her. Not her actions, but the fact that she was also the victim of miseducation, misunderstanding and senselessness all under the guise of religion.

I wish that mental illness were explained better to people, that awareness was set up in a way that could get through.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
19-05-2013, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2013 10:10 PM by TheGulegon.)
Thanks for the kind words!! *feels better now*
Blush Sorry I rant/derailed your thread, Peanut. Moms' story brought back some nasty shit!
Investigation Discovery is where it's at.

19-05-2013, 10:55 PM
(19-05-2013 10:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Thanks for the kind words!! *feels better now*
Blush Sorry I rant/derailed your thread, Peanut. Moms' story brought back some nasty shit!
Investigation Discovery is where it's at.

The thread wasn't "derailed" and you can certainly rant all you wish. The point was to start a discussion.

Besides, the stuff you shared fits perfectly in a thread about fucked up things parents/family members do/say in the name of religion.

Also, Investigation Discovery IS "where it's at." That's my channel. I may be egotistical, but I believe someone was like, "There's this girl named Ashley that loves this stuff. We should make her a whole channel devoted to true crime and show it 24/7." Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
19-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Here's a very good interview on the subject of psychopathy, which I just happen to have watched last night (I also have a keen interest in psychosis and psychology in general):

It's one of the better I've seen, as it explores both the biological and environmental influences that form the psychopath's mind. Of particular interest to me is the idea that epigenetics does indeed play a role in psychosis.

The genetic component is a necessary but not sufficient indicator that person will become psychotic. For that, there must also be considerable childhood trauma and even then, it must be very early in life. In the end, I agreed with everything said in the interview, which is all too often not the case, owing to the obsession people seem to have with assigning all abhorrent behavior to genetics. Or more accurately, the obsession is with assigning blame for all abhorrent behavior to any possible factor other than childhood trauma... because to do so is to implicate the parents and that's uncomfortable for most people. Especially those who were abused as kids and those who abuse their kids.

In the end, I'll consider genetics in the creation of mental injuries when I see infant aged brain scans of serial killers. And not just one.
/rant

As for religion, it is a mental health issue. That's not to say that people who believe it are crazy. Obviously, some are and some aren't. But let's face it, the more rational a theist is generally, the more clear it becomes that there is a mental component to their irrational beliefs.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like bbeljefe's post