Religion and Superstition in Business

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Religion and Superstition in Business
How often do you come across instances where religion or superstition spill over into your business world?

I hold multiple State licenses and I'm required to take continuing education courses to keep them active. I am in the process of doing just this when I came across the following:

Florida and Stigmatized Properties (689.25 F.S.)

Under this statute it is not necessary to disclose murder, death, suicide, AIDS or HIV as it is not considered a material fact or defect. However, the law does not address other considerations, for example, if the property is considered to be haunted, the buyer may bring legal action for failure to disclose or misrepresent.

WTF?

I also come across the proverbial "Acts of God" clause on just about every contract or insurance policy I deal with. This sign was posted at the mechanic's shop I went to recently.

[Image: photo-2.JPG]

So, what kind of woo do you have to deal with in your business and professional life?

Do religion or superstition interfere in your day to day job/work/career?

I'm curious to know who else has to deal with this crap and how.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: Religion and Superstition in Business
(13-03-2014 05:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Do religion or superstition interfere in your day to day job/work/career?

No.
13-03-2014, 06:04 PM
FC,
The photo that you posted does not show up. Please re-post.

Great thread. As a physician, I get constant requests to pray for patients. I punt the ball back to them and ask them to pray for the both of us. I take a hard line, though, when it comes to anti-vaccers. Also the JWs with their refusal to receive or donate blood get my goat.

Quackwatch.com is a fantastic site that deals with the woo side of medicine. It includes (deservedly) chiropractic "medicine", osteopathic medicine and homeopathy. I highly recommender it to all and sundry.

Doc
13-03-2014, 06:05 PM
(13-03-2014 05:50 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I also come across the proverbial "Acts of God" clause on just about every contract or insurance policy I deal with.

Disclaimer: as a legal term I'm not sure what precisely it means in the US.

But here that's just a legal term which refers to events for which not only may no person be held accountable but for which no foresight may be applied (in practice, certain types natural disasters, basically).

I mean, yeah, the language is not ideal, but the concept is valid.

Actually in more traditional legal language here one still comes across the usage "Acts of God and the Queen's Enemies"...
Tongue

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
13-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Hello! I saw this post and it really stuck with me. I work at a lawfirm in which everyone seems to be religious. A co-worker has approached me several times inviting me to her church. I have politely declined every time. For Christmas, this same co-worker printed out nativity scenes on everyone's bonus checks. I also have to wash her "I said a prayer for you today" cup every single day. It drives me crazy! Our workplace is very small so I feel like if I approach her about her beliefs, I would get fired, or at the very least shunned.
13-03-2014, 06:08 PM
(13-03-2014 06:04 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Quackwatch.com is a fantastic site that deals with the woo side of medicine.

Quackwatch.com, really? If it wasn't about such a serious topic I'd laugh harder.

I'm having user issues with posting the jpg, it says:

"Not responsible for Loss or Damage Due to Fire, Theft, or Act of God"

I guess Act of God is just as bad as the other things mentioned.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-03-2014, 06:52 PM
I've seen the "act of God" disclaimer on insurance forms before. I can't wait until I'm denied a claim for this reason. I will simply require them to prove that it actually was. Good luck with that.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
13-03-2014, 07:52 PM
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)rainingchaos Wrote:  Hello! I saw this post and it really stuck with me. I work at a lawfirm in which everyone seems to be religious. A co-worker has approached me several times inviting me to her church. I have politely declined every time. For Christmas, this same co-worker printed out nativity scenes on everyone's bonus checks. I also have to wash her "I said a prayer for you today" cup every single day. It drives me crazy! Our workplace is very small so I feel like if I approach her about her beliefs, I would get fired, or at the very least shunned.

Maybe its time you took your own mug to work, like this one

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/product5901.html

or this one

http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/product3319.html

Harrassment at work shouldn't be tolerated, just sayin'

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Having lived in the Bible Belt for that last nearly thirty years, I have learned that it's best not to go there if I want to continue to get a paycheck. Of course, there can't be a blatant firing for non-belief but they sure can find ways to 'restructure' as I found out in SC. Suddenly the job I had been doing for six years required someone with a degree that I didn't have.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-03-2014, 08:38 PM
(13-03-2014 08:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Having lived in the Bible Belt for that last nearly thirty years, I have learned that it's best not to go there if I want to continue to get a paycheck. Of course, there can't be a blatant firing for non-belief but they sure can find ways to 'restructure' as I found out in SC. Suddenly the job I had been doing for six years required someone with a degree that I didn't have.

How sure are you that your atheism was the cause?
The fact that we have to stay hush hush not to incurr the wrath of the delusional pisses me off.

Luckily for me I'm not employable as my wife likes to say so I became self-employed. No one can fire me for being an atheist or a pain in the ass.

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post