Religion and Superstition in Business

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Religion and Superstition in Business
(13-03-2014 08:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Having lived in the Bible Belt for that last nearly thirty years, I have learned that it's best not to go there if I want to continue to get a paycheck. Of course, there can't be a blatant firing for non-belief but they sure can find ways to 'restructure' as I found out in SC. Suddenly the job I had been doing for six years required someone with a degree that I didn't have.

How sure are you that your atheism was the cause?
The fact that we have to stay hush hush not to incurr the wrath of the delusional pisses me off.

Luckily for me I'm not employable as my wife likes to say so I became self-employed. No one can fire me for being an atheist or a pain in the ass.

Pretty damn sure that was a big part...oh, and I 'let' my son date a bi-racial girl, that didn't help either.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 11:36 PM
(13-03-2014 09:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How sure are you that your atheism was the cause?
The fact that we have to stay hush hush not to incurr the wrath of the delusional pisses me off.

Luckily for me I'm not employable as my wife likes to say so I became self-employed. No one can fire me for being an atheist or a pain in the ass.

Pretty damn sure that was a big part...oh, and I 'let' my son date a bi-racial girl, that didn't help either.

Two words; fuck them.

Hug

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
14-03-2014, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 02:14 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
I work with a lot of Bible thumpers, and it's a pain in the ass having to listen to many of them talk about their religious crap all the time. I work at a public school, so it really has no place there, but it's a special needs school, and my students have the most severe disabilities, so they don't understand what they're talking about. Still, it's incredibly annoying having to listen to them talk about religious shit all the time. One of them constantly talks about how God helped her nephew and keep him out of trouble. It gets me so angry because I really want to scream "REALLY?! THEN WHY THE FUCK DO WE HAVE STUDENTS COMING TO SCHOOL WITH BLACK EYES FROM ABUSIVE PARENTS AND KIDS IN WHEELCHAIRS COMING IN COVERED IN SHIT ALL THE WAY UP THEIR BACK BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT WORK AT THE NURSING HOME THAT THEY'RE AT DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT THEM?! WHERE THE FUCK IS GOD WHEN THEY NEED HIM?! I GUESS THEY'RE JUST NOT SPECIAL IN HIS EYES LIKE YOUR FUCKING NEPHEW!!

Pisses me off to no end!

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
14-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Have any of you made formal complaints of religious harassment?

I think we're working our way towards a society that will tolerate this type of action less readily but it will be a slog, religion is so entrenched everywhere.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-03-2014, 08:29 AM
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)rainingchaos Wrote:  Hello! I saw this post and it really stuck with me. I work at a lawfirm in which everyone seems to be religious. A co-worker has approached me several times inviting me to her church. I have politely declined every time. For Christmas, this same co-worker printed out nativity scenes on everyone's bonus checks. I also have to wash her "I said a prayer for you today" cup every single day. It drives me crazy! Our workplace is very small so I feel like if I approach her about her beliefs, I would get fired, or at the very least shunned.

Chances are, what she does isn't born out of malice, but simple ignorance. Most people tend to overestimate how much people agree with them. That being said, it sucks that you have to go through with that.

Also, welcome!

(13-03-2014 08:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How sure are you that your atheism was the cause?

I'm pretty sure that's the point. If it could be easily pinned on it, they'd get in trouble.

(13-03-2014 08:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The fact that we have to stay hush hush not to incurr the wrath of the delusional pisses me off.

I'm glad I work at a large, national company that employs people from all walks of life. Not only is there no religious atmosphere here, we had to take an ethics class that included a prohibition on proselytizing. It included a scripted example of a woman inviting another to church repeatedly after the other woman politely declined several times and then overtly asked her to stop.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
14-03-2014, 11:51 AM
(14-03-2014 08:29 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I'm glad I work at a large, national company that employs people from all walks of life. Not only is there no religious atmosphere here, we had to take an ethics class that included a prohibition on proselytizing. It included a scripted example of a woman inviting another to church repeatedly after the other woman politely declined several times and then overtly asked her to stop.

I get that, large national and multinationals have to worry about being sued in the US. My wife worked for a multinational and they too had classes on ethics, they took it very seriously. I would think that it is the smaller companies that get away with it more frequently.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-03-2014, 11:54 AM
In another life I used to build single family homes. I remember clearly the day I had to show a family homes that only faced East Consider

(Here in Florida you want your house to face the ocean Cool )

14-03-2014, 01:38 PM
"Acts of God" is a legal phrase like "time is of the essence".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-03-2014, 04:33 PM
I took the acts of god line out of a contract lately, signed it and sent it back. No-one seemed to notice. Acts of god could be everything or nothing so it's useless, besides, unforseen weather/riots/war etc was already covered.

Religion sometimes causes me a little inconvenience at work, not much more than that.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
14-03-2014, 04:38 PM
(14-03-2014 04:33 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I took the acts of god line out of a contract lately, signed it and sent it back. No-one seemed to notice. Acts of god could be everything or nothing so it's useless, besides, unforseen weather/riots/war etc was already covered.

Religion sometimes causes me a little inconvenience at work, not much more than that.

It's actually a very specific and well-defined legal term in Common Law.

What jurisdiction are you in? Do you know how it's defined there?

... this is my signature!