Religion and Superstition in Business

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Religion and Superstition in Business
(14-03-2014 04:33 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I took the acts of god line out of a contract lately, signed it and sent it back. No-one seemed to notice. Acts of god could be everything or nothing so it's useless, besides, unforseen weather/riots/war etc was already covered.

Religion sometimes causes me a little inconvenience at work, not much more than that.

You may have invalidated the contract by changing it. I would contact the company it is with as there may be some unintended consequences from it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm in the UAE so I'm not sure God is a recognised legal term.

I actually didn't start the job, I found out the management were double crossing... effectively my competitor, but a friend of mine in the same business, and told I them to stick it.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
15-03-2014, 08:57 PM
(15-03-2014 03:37 PM)daylightisabadthing Wrote:  I'm in the UAE so I'm not sure God is a recognised legal term.

I actually didn't start the job, I found out the management were double crossing... effectively my competitor, but a friend of mine in the same business, and told I them to stick it.

I analyze contracts for a living. "Acts of God" is legal terminology for Force Majeures. Strangely though, in every contract, "Acts of God" is then defined (flood, tornado, hurricane, etc).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-03-2014, 11:09 PM
(15-03-2014 08:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I analyze contracts for a living. "Acts of God" is legal terminology for Force Majeures. Strangely though, in every contract, "Acts of God" is then defined (flood, tornado, hurricane, etc).

Consider He likes his weather phenomenons doesn't He?

Do you know why they are called "Acts of God" and not for instance "Inclement Weather"? I can only imagine that this terminology has it's roots in medieval England.

Yup, a little research and voilà!

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf...H.86.1.101

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1380373/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce