Religion and choice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Religion and choice
Robvalue Wrote:"The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity."
Thank you for defining.
Why "to have a feeling of reverence and adoration and to express reverence" is morally repulsive? why is it disrespect to yourself? why it makes you to give up your dignity?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
(02-03-2017 10:58 AM)Alla Wrote:  to believe only (faith ALONE) in God without worshipping Him has no purpose.
OK, I believe in God. So what? It has the same RESULTS if I didn't believe in God.

Just to believe that I can speak 20 languages and not to study them has no purpose. It would have the same RESULTS if I didn't believe that I can speak 20 languages.

The RESULTS of faith alone(belief alone) = ZERO

Not entirely. Results of faith can, and indeed do have consequences which are very often horrific.

In your own hypothetical analogy, you admit to the reaization of having instructed students incorrectly. You have influenced and therefore impacted their lives.

Incorrect communication can, among other things, cause wars.

Consequences never add up to zero.
As well, consequences are multiplied when combined with influence.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Robvalue Wrote:To say more about worship...I see it as giving up your own agency. You're submitting to the will of another, and doing its bidding. It's doing the thinking for you. You've dehumanized yourself.

one more thing you said
Robvalue Wrote:"I would say you're playing word games. You've already changed one word into another"

02-03-2017, 11:28 AM
(02-03-2017 11:23 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:"The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity."
Thank you for defining.
Why "to have a feeling of reverence and adoration and to express reverence" is morally repulsive? why is it disrespect to yourself? why it makes you to give up your dignity?

No problem.

I explained that in the rest of the post. Religious worship is way more than that, as I have observed it.

Do you place yourself below God, to submit, or are you on the "same level"?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
kim Wrote:Not entirely. Results of faith can, and indeed do have consequences which are very often horrific.
faith alone has no consequences.
but when I act according to my faith then I will have consequences.
So, if I just believe in God it will be no consequences.
But if I believe in God and worship Him and serve Him then I will have consequences.
Belief alone is useless, worthless thing. It has no purpose.
Belief with actions is not useless. It has purpose.

02-03-2017, 11:33 AM
(02-03-2017 11:23 AM)kim Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 10:58 AM)Alla Wrote:  to believe only (faith ALONE) in God without worshipping Him has no purpose.
OK, I believe in God. So what? It has the same RESULTS if I didn't believe in God.

Just to believe that I can speak 20 languages and not to study them has no purpose. It would have the same RESULTS if I didn't believe that I can speak 20 languages.

The RESULTS of faith alone(belief alone) = ZERO

Not entirely. Results of faith can, and indeed do have consequences which are very often horrific.

In your own hypothetical analogy, you admit to the reaization of having instructed students incorrectly. You have influenced and therefore impacted their lives.

Incorrect communication can, among other things, cause wars.

Consequences never add up to zero.
As well, consequences are multiplied when combined with influence.

You're quite right, yes.

Belief that God is looking out for you and that you can't come to harm could be fatal. Believing God will heal you so you don't need to go to the doctor is harmful. And so on. Incorrect beliefs can be very bad, because your model of reality is out of whack. This is why I promote science, scepticism and rational thought as much as possible.

No one would ever try to speak 20 languages by just trying to believe that they could, it's a totally unrealistic scenario. That person would be insane. The equivalent, finding out someone else can interact with God or whatever, would require investigation, not just believing what they believe and assuming you can do it to. "Show me". "I can't". "I don't believe you then."

The languages could simply be demonstrated.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
02-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Robvalue Wrote:Do you place yourself below God, to submit, or are you on the "same level"?
I am a child of God. He is my Father.
Is little child below a parent? If yes, is this morally repulsive? is this disrespect to yourself? does child have to give up his/her dignity?
Is little child submit himself/herself to a parent? If yes, the same questions.
are they(little child and a parent) on the same level?

So, is it morally repulsive to adore a parent? is it morally repulsive to have feeling of reverence to a parent? and to express reverence to a parent? If yes, why?

02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Okay, if your relationship with God is similar to your relationship with your father, I would have no problem with it.

Do you really think that is the norm, though? It is not what I have observed. I've very rarely heard anyone say they have the kind of relationship you have.

I am glad to hear your relationship is more like a human relationship.

02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
(02-03-2017 11:44 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Okay, if your relationship with God is similar to your relationship with your father, I would have no problem with it.

Do you really think that is the norm, though? It is not what I have observed. I've very rarely heard anyone say they have the kind of relationship you have.

I am glad to hear your relationship is more like a human relationship.

Thanks.
But I want to say that I totally agree with you if relationship between God and mortal men is different than or less than relationship between parents and their children.
You ask good questions. I am glad you do.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
02-03-2017, 12:02 PM
(02-03-2017 11:39 AM)Alla Wrote:  I am a child of God. He is my Father.
Is little child below a parent? If yes, is this morally repulsive? is this disrespect to yourself? does child have to give up his/her dignity?
Is little child submit himself/herself to a parent? If yes, the same questions.
are they(little child and a parent) on the same level?

So, is it morally repulsive to adore a parent? is it morally repulsive to have feeling of reverence to a parent? and to express reverence to a parent? If yes, why?

If said parent is guilty of or condones murder, rape, slavery, cannibalism, incest, sexual slavery, stoning, and countless other atrocities and you still adore and revere that parent, then yes it's repulsive. Very much so.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post