Religion and climate change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2013, 09:45 AM
It seems religion has a direct impact on refusal to take action on climate change in society and politics.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/08/se...te-change/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/01/be...u-s-study/

These are two stories I saw recently and it seems this is getting more research. Check another box in 'how religion can do harm'.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Wolf Bird's post
09-05-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Religion and climate change
(09-05-2013 09:45 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  It seems religion has a direct impact on refusal to take action on climate change in society and politics.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/08/se...te-change/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/01/be...u-s-study/

These are two stories I saw recently and it seems this is getting more research. Check another box in 'how religion can do harm'.

I thought it was global warming, oh wait....that was an unsubstantiated claim so the name had to be changed. Voodoo science, loved by atheists and religious folk alike.
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
09-05-2013, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2013 10:45 AM by Wolf Bird.)
(09-05-2013 09:50 AM)I and I Wrote:  I thought it was global warming, oh wait....that was an unsubstantiated claim so the name had to be changed. Voodoo science, loved by atheists and religious folk alike.

Might have more to do with the present understanding being that some parts of the world will actually get cooler, or experience more intense winters. Like Northern Europe, due to possible weakening of thermohaline circulation, which keeps that region warmer in winter.

http://www.tellusa.net/index.php/tellusa...11595/html

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/02...?mobile=wp news article condensing the main point of the study.

I think climate change is a better term, it more accurately captures the variability of the phenomenon. It's not just straight-up warmer.

10-05-2013, 09:32 PM
(09-05-2013 10:38 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  Might have more to do with the present understanding being that some parts of the world will actually get cooler, or experience more intense winters. Like Northern Europe, due to possible weakening of thermohaline circulation, which keeps that region warmer in winter.

....snip..

I think climate change is a better term, it more accurately captures the variability of the phenomenon. It's not just straight-up warmer.
Although the arguments are about human civilisation driving climate change toward a green house climate through its atmospheric and oceanic emissions and changes to the Earths albedo. Bit of a mouthful, so global warming is easier if inaccurate.
10-05-2013, 10:20 PM
It's climate change, with a warming trend. Or simplified to Global Warming.
And, clearly there are outliers.

Humanists of West Florida
GC CoR
P'cola Skeptic in thePub
GC Freethinker
12-05-2013, 05:13 PM
How do the main backers of climate change live? The billionaires that fund and donate to that research are not in any way changing their lifestyles like we are told to change ours. The responses to global warming so far are rich people convincing poorer people to commit self induced austerity.
12-05-2013, 05:25 PM
To answer the OP:

It is because god's Earth is perfect, so us pathetic humans can't change it significantly.

Oh, and it's a conspiracy by the ruling class of the ultra-wealthy to fool the people into living with less luxury, leaving more to them selves. The trend toward sped up increase of temperatures around the world is simply an illusion.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 11:30 PM by DeepThought.)
(12-05-2013 05:13 PM)I and I Wrote:  How do the main backers of climate change live? The billionaires that fund and donate to that research are not in any way changing their lifestyles like we are told to change ours. The responses to global warming so far are rich people convincing poorer people to commit self induced austerity.

I suspect they sleep quite well at night considering that the vast majority of scientists agree on this topic.

The evidence just keeps piling up.

All thats left now are some bunker dwelling morons, like yourself. Maybe you can team up with the koch brothers. You can be their new lobbyist and push the anti agw agenda.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
12-05-2013, 05:55 PM
The belief in a divine catastrophe that will result in the faithful going to heaven, and everyone else going to hell, is reason enough for these theist assholes to say, "it's God's will" whether it's climate change, or Global Nuclear Warfare, that takes us out!

It seems (to me) religion has a direct impact on refusal to take action on ANYTHING. They'll just fucken pray about it Undecided

13-05-2013, 09:57 AM
(12-05-2013 05:38 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:13 PM)I and I Wrote:  How do the main backers of climate change live? The billionaires that fund and donate to that research are not in any way changing their lifestyles like we are told to change ours. The responses to global warming so far are rich people convincing poorer people to commit self induced austerity.

I suspect they sleep quite well at night considering that the vast majority of scientists agree on this topic.

The evidence just keeps piling up.

All thats left now are some bunker dwelling morons, like yourself. Maybe you can team up with the koch brothers. You can be their new lobbyist and push the anti agw agenda.

So the fact that rich fucks don't practice what they preach is not a red flag that should raise questions?