Religion and culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 10:18 AM
RE: Religion and culture
Here in Ireland religion and culture are inextricably linked. Here in the south the catholic church still has a lot of influence. I attend many events, baptisims, communion, confirmation, weddings and funerals. All linked to the church, but over here is an excuse to have a few beers and meet family and friends.

Up north, being protestant or catholic is very important to their culture, as I'm sure many of you are aware. Many people have died in the ethnic conflict over the years. Up there you "have" to be one or the other. Jokingly we say that if you were asked up north "what's your religion", and you answered " I'm an atheist" they would then ask " Are you a catholic or a protestant atheist".

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 10:23 AM
(03-02-2014 10:09 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If you need a good laugh at growing up Catholic - I recommend.
[Image: m8jSRQswN8YC?fife=w300-rw]

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-02-2014, 12:08 PM
(03-02-2014 08:14 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 07:25 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I've stopped saying "God bless you" when someone sneezes, I don't shut my eyes when someone is leading a prayer, and I do yard work on Sundays.

Yeah, but what do you think about doing yard work on Saturdays? Consider

I'm pretty sure it involves throwing stones at them until they're dead. Our culture is pretty weird.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
So what *do* you say when someone sneezes?

Moodie x
07-02-2014, 08:56 PM
(02-02-2014 11:41 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  'Culture' changes with the thoughts and minds of the people as they live through their time.

I can still vaguely remember some of the things my Grandparent's thought were 'right' for their times.

I can remember things my Parent's thought were 'right' for their times.

I know of things that I think are 'right'.

The one constant? The 'right' has always changed.

Very much cheers to all.

Good point. I think it's important to remember the nature of change. Humans have been changing for years. Maybe even say they're evolving culturally. It's why I've always been a fan of the trickster characters in mythology. They encourage change, more or less.
07-02-2014, 11:03 PM
(07-02-2014 08:46 PM)Moodie Wrote:  So what *do* you say when someone sneezes?

Moodie x

I say salute, which is what Italians say.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user