Religion and/or Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Religion and/or Politics
No man is an island.

We're all influenced by other people - people we know, people we meet, even people we aren't aware of.

But -- who influences you the most?

I'm convinced that two groups are major in shaping what a person is, or will become -- those they associate with by choice - - in either politics or religion.

Which do you think is more likely to shape who you are?

Is a person more likely to become more like those of the same political persuasion - or those of the same religious persuasion as themselves??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2016, 07:59 AM
RE: Religion and/or Politics
Since I don't have a religion I suppose I'd rather have a discussion with someone about politics. I guess I'm probably more likely to enjoy friendship with someone who's somewhat aligned with me on political lines, regardless of whether they're a churchgoer or not. That said, I'm a liberal and some of my best friends are conservatives, and it's never been a problem.

I think it's healthy to have some friends who challenge you, it keeps your own opinions sharp and better focused. I'm not interested in having a social circle that thinks and speaks as a monolith. As long as you're what my father would colloquially refer to as a "good shit" I couldn't care less if you vote or worship differently than I do.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
03-08-2016, 08:03 AM
I think for many the answer would be religion since that training starts very early in life. You start off following whatever religion your parents follow and therefore are exposed to others of that same faith practice.

Political awareness doesn't come along until later even though the family may lean heavily toward one party or another it's not usually a daily/weekly thing for most people.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-08-2016, 08:27 AM
The more religious or political a person is (offline or online), the less likely I am to want to associate with them. However, I think that religious or political affiliations can probably be equally as powerful, tribally. Committing to membership in a church or political organization presumably provides social benefits that offset the drawbacks of having to conform to the group's behavior norms.

I don't know the religion or lack thereof of most of my friends (I never discuss religion IRL). I don't know the politics of most of my friends (I never discuss politics IRL, either, but I do see posts on my friends' FB pages; my friends are more likely to be liberal or libertarians than Republicans, but there are some Republicans too--although no enthusiastic Trump voters, as far as I know). What draws me to most of my friends tends to be their ability to play an instrument/write a story or our shared struggles as special needs parents.
03-08-2016, 08:37 AM
(03-08-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
But -- who influences you the most?
Which do you think is more likely to shape who you are?

There's a mix of 'who' and 'what'.

Gilgamesh brought this quote to my attention:
Eleanor Roosevelt Wrote:Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

So I'd say that it's ideas that influence the most.

Who presents those ideas is less relevant once we reach a certain age.

Pre-teens... a good teacher with bad ideas will influence us more than a bad teacher with good ideas.

Hence... god.

Dodgy

03-08-2016, 08:48 AM
(03-08-2016 08:03 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I think for many the answer would be religion since that training starts very early in life. [...]

I'd agree that religious instruction does begin early in one's life, but obviously only if one's parents are genuinely religious—like mine were. However, for me, I reached puberty and started to consider that religion and its notions were—if not bullshit—were at least suspect, and required more investigation.

By the time I was 18, I considered myself a "full blown" atheist, and had written off all religious beliefs as pure fantasy, stemming from blatant lies, misrepresentation of facts, and (often inadvertent) self-delusional minds.

And of course at 18 years of age, I was more than aware of the intricacies of politics, and its bogus policies, deceits, and empty promises. So I guess that politics most definitely shaped my adult life more so than religion ever did—or could.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-08-2016, 04:03 PM
I always joke around that I was raised by TV, my parents were both pretty neglectful and I always had a TV in my room but most likely I was influenced by all "media" including books, music, movies, the internet and TV more than people I knew or my family. In my case I became very liberal and I tend to politically align with progressives, my fathers is a republican, maybe I wanted to rebel against him.

Religion didn't affect me that much until after I realized I was atheist, for example my parents always thought homosexuals were deviants and if anything gay happened around them they would object but I always accepted them as perfectly normal even though I'm straight. My dad used to always say it was because of our society and the loose morals, all the gay entertainers, etc. and maybe he was right, I was taught by movies and tv shows that being gay was totally acceptable so I accepted it.

Of course the more I learned of the "laws" of the Bible the more I became convinced it was an evil book. If I had more influence by religion I would've been a pretty different kid and I probably never would've considered atheism but as I grew older my moral values and the scientific education I had developed didn't align with traditional religious views of my family and community I had no choice but to reject it outright.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
(03-08-2016 04:03 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  Religion didn't affect me that much until after I realized I was atheist, for example my parents always thought homosexuals were deviants and if anything gay happened around them they would object [...]

My late mother had a shopping list of "deviants" including homosexuals, and Roman Catholics—who she and many other older Aussies called "micks".

As a little kid, she always warned me about the local mick priest, who she called "Father Piddlebum". Later on, I realised in her own awkward way, she'd tried to make the connection [sic] about buggery obvious to me in her warning—the penis and the anus symbolism—but could only explain it clumsily to a 5-year-old, as she did.

Confused

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
03-08-2016, 04:47 PM
(03-08-2016 05:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Which do you think is more likely to shape who you are?

The PhD rocket scientists I work with.

#sigh
03-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Entire of itself.
Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved with mankind.

I don't know if there is a more or less

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson