Religion and the Advance of Human Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Religion and the Advance of Human Society
In the past 500 years, what advances have been made that can be accredited to religion?

Not acceptable:

Advances made by religious scientists (e.g. Newton) -- the advances weren't because of religion, they were because of science

Good deeds done by religion (e.g. feeding the poor) -- this doesn't advance society, but it is a very good thing done by religious organizations/religious people (not that it couldn't be done by secular institutions, without the unnecessary church services and such, even more efficiently and with better results)

I can't think of anything that can be solely attributed to religion. I can see many things that have advances society counter to religion.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Religion and the Advance of Human Society
If it weren't for religion, there would be no excuse to drink wine in the morning.

No Gods Or Kings. Only Man.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EuclidsParadox?feature=mhee
17-08-2012, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 04:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Good people do good things.
Some good people do good things, which are organized by religion.
Many good people do good things in organizations that are not religious.

The religious argument is a bit sorry-ass. If they are saying they do things only because they get rewarded by a god, for doing something, that's ridiculous, as so many others do things with no reward.

The long arc of history, in which religion was used as an organizing force, and a explanatory mechanism is giving way, slowly but surely to science, as the explanatory mechanism. The organizing force of "consent of the governed" seems to be working. It will take a few hundred years. If Kurzweil's "singularity" happens, and human intelligence increases parabolically, it may take less time. But all in all, in terms of the broad sweep of human history, specifically organized religion systems will have been around for a tiny % of the time. 5000/200000 = 2.5

500 years ago atheists were burned at the stake. 50 years ago, no one dared speak of it, hardly. Actually I have noticed lately, when things like Aurora Colorado happen, there is barely a reference to a god. People say "our thoughts and prayers go out to you". That is a very strange thing to say. (While it is empathetic), it is hardly theological. They are not really "praying" to anything or anyone, (and certainly their prayers are not "going" to the people who are being sympathized with, as they are not "praying to them". It's just sort of a bland expression of sympathy. If 50 % of Lutherans don't know who Martin Luther was, and 50 % of Catholics cannot state what "transubstantiation" is, (as demonstrated in the Pew Survey), things aren't looking too good for religion.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-08-2012, 04:35 PM
I think religion can be accredited with mass manipulation or herding, by focusing attention of a large group of people into a certain direction. (for good or bad)
Religion can create false hope like a placebo that can act in much the same way that real hope does and keep people alive as a survival mechanism in hard times.

That's all that I could really come up with.
Not sure if those count as advancing society

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-08-2012, 06:31 PM
(17-08-2012 03:15 PM)BioRichtofen Wrote:  If it weren't for religion, there would be no excuse to drink wine in the morning.

Wine can be very good for the body... reason credit to science!

Drink it anytime you want, only traditional/ritual belief's associated with religion frown on it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-08-2012, 07:10 PM
(17-08-2012 02:48 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  Not acceptable:

Advances made by religious scientists (e.g. Newton) -- the advances weren't because of religion, they were because of science

Don't think you can divorce them like that. Religion led them to seek. Just what they found wasn't what religion was anticipating.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-08-2012, 07:16 PM
(17-08-2012 07:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Don't think you can divorce them like that. Religion led them to seek. Just what they found wasn't what religion was anticipating.

I'll have to disagree. Curiosity and the wonder of discovery lead them to seek.
Religion typically doesn't want people to question or discover anything beyond what is written in their holy texts.

Side note - That would make a great name for a text messaging app "Holy Texts" Angel

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-08-2012, 07:23 PM
(17-08-2012 07:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Even if religion led them to seek, there are plenty of nonreligious people that sought regardless. It is apparent that religion isn't the cause of this eagerness to "seek."

Even if someone says "I want to learn physics because of my belief in God," religion wasn't the cause of the discovery. Science was. And you don't need religion to use science. In a world without religion, there would be more science going on. I argue that you can divorce the two.

And, even if you could attribute the discoveries to religion, you can attribute at least as much against the progression of science and society by religion (much more, actually.)

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
17-08-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-08-2012 07:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(17-08-2012 07:16 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 07:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't think you can divorce them like that. Religion led them to seek. Just what they found wasn't what religion was anticipating.

I'll have to disagree.

Who knows, fuckers are long since dead. But the fact is that many, if not most, of the founding fathers of western philosophy and science were educated because of and by religion. Religion gave them the education that the common folk didn't get. The more astute of them realized that their benefactor was full of shit.

I'm not sure of this, but my gut feeling is that religion at least fostered if not spawned science.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-08-2012, 07:37 PM
We need a mirror to hold up to see our selves.

Religion has given us a history of bloodshed, torture and torment.

Much can be learned from that.