Religion and the Advance of Human Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2012, 07:44 PM
RE: Religion and the Advance of Human Society
(17-08-2012 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We need a mirror to hold up to see our selves.

Religion has given us a history of bloodshed, torture and torment.

No dispute there.

(17-08-2012 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Much can be learned from that.

What lesson do you gather from that?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2012, 08:03 PM
(17-08-2012 07:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 07:16 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I'll have to disagree.

Who knows, fuckers are long since dead. But the fact is that many, if not most, of the founding fathers of western philosophy and science were educated because of and by religion. Religion gave them the education that the common folk didn't get. The more astute of them realized that their benefactor was full of shit.

I'm not sure of this, but my gut feeling is that religion at least fostered if not spawned science.

No, the Enlightenment created and/or fostered science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2012, 08:28 PM
(17-08-2012 07:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-08-2012 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  We need a mirror to hold up to see our selves.

Religion has given us a history of bloodshed, torture and torment.

No dispute there.

(17-08-2012 07:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Much can be learned from that.

What lesson do you gather from that?

The burned hand is the best teacher.

17-08-2012, 08:29 PM
You can claim that religion gave us science (which I would dispute). This doesn't make religion good, or make it advance human society. There is still no argument that I am aware of that gives religion the distinction of having advanced society in a unique way that nothing else could do. At best, it was a stepping stone to science or other vehicles for progression.

And if religion served as the stepping stone, that doesn't mean it was unique in this regard. If we had replaced religion with secular humanism, for the Founding Fathers, religious scientists, or anyone, would a world with religion really have come out better? Even if religion was the cause of progress (I won't deny that in some way, it had to have led to progress eventually), is it unique in this respect? Would the world really be better off with religion, rather than without?

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
17-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes, the world would be better off without religion, but I don't think the world would be better off without the freedom to have crazy irrational thoughts.
We're human beings. Lots of flaws, lots of mild brain disorders that alter the way we process information.
Sometimes the crazy allows us to creatively discover the unknown.

All religion does is herd people into thinking a certain way without reason and to loosen the purse strings.
The money and power gained from duping the masses can be used in constructive ways that can benefit a society, but since we are human, we also have greed.

So you can use the money making model of religion to fund a better society and pay for education, but then the more you educate your flock, the less money you get.
It's kinda self defeating unless you separate the communities so the sheep don't know where their wool is going.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Religion exists as a kind of parasite or hitchhiker on useful activities, so of course people who don't examine the matter closely can confusedly attribute religion as a cause of these useful activities.

For example, consider the nonsensical question "Where are the atheist hospitals?" coming from christians who know damn well that atheistic communist regimes built hospitals without christians' help. Atheist and humanist groups have also set up hospitals and clinics in India, of all places:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...on=library

This resembles the presuppositionalist way of thinking. Pagan Greeks founded philosophy, logic and mathematics, but when christians came along, they said that their god had in fact invented those things, and that we can't justify them without presupposing the christian world view (an argument which secular philosophers reject). Christians have appropriated the practice of medicine, another field founded by pagan Greeks, in the same fraudulent manner by saying "Our god did that!"
17-08-2012, 09:58 PM
(17-08-2012 09:50 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  ... in India, of all places:

Huh?

Why "of all places"?

India has long and proud secularist history / tradition / constitution.