Religion and the USA Military

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Religion and the USA Military
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16859421

Quote: In a land of faith and flag, Justin Griffith is challenging the US military to abandon its religious ties.

When he was a child growing up in Plano, Texas - a place he describes as the "oversized, goofy buckle on the Bible belt" - he would bring his bible to science class and debate his teachers on the finer points of evolution.

"In my head, I won every time," says Mr Griffith, now 29.

But somewhere along the way, his penchant for picking ideological fights with the non-religious got him in trouble. He found it harder and harder to argue with the points they were making. At 13, he suffered a crisis of faith.

"It was so painful. I lost my religion before I lost my first girlfriend. Nothing that big had ever happened to me, and I didn't have any coping skills," he says.

Mr Griffith found peace with his atheism, but he is not done sparring with the opposite team.

As an active-duty sergeant in the US Army, he's leading the charge to get atheists more respect in the armed forces. In the process he is earning attention, both positive and negative, from around the world.

No atheists in fox holes they say?

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: Religion and the USA Military
i wish him luck, but he will not succede, religion as an instrument of subjugation and alienation is perfect for the purposes of the military, creating unthinking, obedient serfs. a brain washing method, perfect for making soldiers, especially if those soldiers are meant to kill the vanguard of the devil, the wicked muslims....religion and militarism a perfect synergy.
[+] 3 users Like iluvatar77's post
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
(03-02-2012 10:52 AM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  i wish him luck, but he will not succede, religion as an instrument of subjugation and alienation is perfect for the purposes of the military, creating unthinking, obedient serfs. a brain washing method, perfect for making soldiers, especially if those soldiers are meant to kill the vanguard of the devil, the wicked muslims....religion and militarism a perfect synergy.

You have nailed it I'm afraid.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I really don't think religion has any hold in the military anyways. Sure a guy hands you a mini-Bible at MEPS when you sign up, but you don't have to take it. My dog tags say "No Religious Preference" and the only time you saw the chaplain was after one of your platoon mates got killed; just a quick visit to make sure you aren't thinking of killing yourself. We also had two Muslim guys in our unit and no one seemed to care.

The religious aspect of the military is more to gain civilian support than anything. "We're gonna go over there and stop those evil-doers from spreading evil, now who's with me?" But once you're in the military, you notice a lot of atheists just doing their job.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
(03-02-2012 10:52 AM)iluvatar77 Wrote:  i wish him luck, but he will not succede, religion as an instrument of subjugation and alienation is perfect for the purposes of the military, creating unthinking, obedient serfs. a brain washing method, perfect for making soldiers, especially if those soldiers are meant to kill the vanguard of the devil, the wicked muslims....religion and militarism a perfect synergy.

Wow... could you be anymore insulting to our soldiers?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-02-2012, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 12:53 PM by germanyt.)
I served 6 years in the Navy and never once had a negative experience as an atheist. I also found it very easy to discuss religious topics and get along with all kinds of people of different beliefs. Religion has no hold on the military. AT ALL.
(03-02-2012 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Wow... could you be anymore insulting to our soldiers?

He's posting from his basement with a tin foil hat on.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post