Religion and the workplace

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Religion and the workplace
I worked on the line at a auto assembly plant here in southern Ontario. One day, my union rep showed up and told me that him and I were going to Human Resources to speak to someone. I asked what it was about and he just said they did not tell him.
We did the 'walk of shame' (paraded through the plant with everyone knowing you were in trouble) and were sat down in an office. The man in charge explained to me that they had had complaints from my fellow worker that I hated Roman Catholics. I knew right away who had complained but decided to have some fun with my answer...

My mother-in-law lives with us, she is an RC. My wife is an RC. My daughter was baptised RC and my son was baptised RC. I am pretty sure our dog is a Roman Catholic too. Why the hell wouldn't I hate Catholics? You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of them in my house!

As humourous as this is, it has a dark side. If allegations were proved against me I could have lost my job with no recourse.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 05:20 AM
RE: Religion and the workplace
As long as you're not actively causung harm to others in your workplace it's no one's buisness what your thoughts are. If you hate roman catholics then so be it. It matters little to your actual job. If they fire you on those grounds I suggest you sue the hell out of them until they become so backwards that they enjoy giving you money.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
01-11-2011, 07:04 AM
(01-11-2011 05:20 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  As long as you're not actively causung harm to others in your workplace it's no one's buisness what your thoughts are. If you hate roman catholics then so be it. It matters little to your actual job. If they fire you on those grounds I suggest you sue the hell out of them until they become so backwards that they enjoy giving you money.

The problem is that most HR employees would know better than to fire on this basis, so they would "find" other reasons to fire you. When a company wants to get rid of an employee, they can make it difficult for them to meet company job requirements. I suppose it also depends on why they think you hate Roman Catholics. Religion, or lack of it, really shouldn't be discussed in the work place.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey, Jimmy.

Why did they lodge the complaint in the first place?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
From my experience, it is best to keep religious views separate from workplace. If another is seen to violate this principle, it is either fisticuffs or fink. Yeah, those options suck, but "believing life is fair" is religious nonsense.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Quote:it is best to keep religious views separate from workplace.

I would agree.
Confused However, even if someone isn't really expressing views ... an odd notion can run amok.
A couple of years ago, some innocuous thing I said, became strangely misconstrued. In my workplace, a woman I was working with on a project at the time, asked what I would be doing over the upcoming Christmas holiday. I said that I might do what I did the previous year which was work a soup kitchen -we made Christmas dinner for over 2000 poor and homeless folk. She said that was nice and asked where this was? I said it was at a Buddhist temple in a nearby metro area. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught her look -her eyes became huge and she had a clearly stunned, grimace. Since then, this person has not wanted to have a thing to do with me -she barely speaks. And she's made a few excuses that she'd rather not work on projects with me, even though we'd done so well in the past. Not really effecting me all that much... but just kind of weird. I guess she must not like Buddhists or something? She's had a lot of time to find out how cool Buddhists are, if that's what was bothering her. Maybe her ignorance is more comfortable than learning something new.
Ha! Imagine if she found out I was an Atheist the whole time I was feeding all those Christians, Muslims, & Jews, etc., who came to that Buddhist temple!! Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
(01-11-2011 02:18 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:it is best to keep religious views separate from workplace.

I would agree.
Confused However, even if someone isn't really expressing views ... an odd notion can run amok.
A couple of years ago, some innocuous thing I said, became strangely misconstrued. In my workplace, a woman I was working with on a project at the time, asked what I would be doing over the upcoming Christmas holiday. I said that I might do what I did the previous year which was work a soup kitchen -we made Christmas dinner for over 2000 poor and homeless folk. She said that was nice and asked where this was? I said it was at a Buddhist temple in a nearby metro area. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught her look -her eyes became huge and she had a clearly stunned, grimace. Since then, this person has not wanted to have a thing to do with me -she barely speaks. And she's made a few excuses that she'd rather not work on projects with me, even though we'd done so well in the past. Not really effecting me all that much... but just kind of weird. I guess she must not like Buddhists or something? She's had a lot of time to find out how cool Buddhists are, if that's what was bothering her. Maybe her ignorance is more comfortable than learning something new.
Ha! Imagine if she found out I was an Atheist the whole time I was feeding all those Christians, Muslims, & Jews, etc., who came to that Buddhist temple!! Tongue

Yeah, that "Christmas" business sucks. "Institutionalized religious nonsense" is all it is. Religious nonsense is not bad, per se; "me and my Gwynnies" is religious nonsense without par - but nobody's getting "religion" 'cause I keep my biohazard under lockdown. Big Grin

Peeps tell me, "Merry Christmas;" I go "Happy Mithras!" You know, whatever's clever - it bugs me, but I try not to let my bug decrease others enjoyment of the holidays - the time for that is January. (How comes we don't have a devil emote?)

02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
(01-11-2011 01:08 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Jimmy.

Matt

It was one person and he approached me to ask about my atheism. I told him my background and about my not believing in a god or any god. He asked about my wife's religion and I told him she was a very devout RC. He asked me, "Do you thinks she is right?" I said no, I think she is dead wrong, that she thinks I am dead wrong. He asked if I thought he (RC) was wrong too and I said yes, that is the nature of my atheism. Next thing I know I am up in HR explaining myself.

As far as suing for wrongful dismissal, here in Canada the Human Rights Tribunal (appointed, not elected) can do almost anything they want and their decisions are usually final. We do not have the protections you in the States have. Our "Bill of Rights" can be set aside for any reason. We do not have freedom of speech (hate speech is punishable by law, freedom of religion, public tax money supports the RC school system, and on and on. We have a majority government now (with less than 50% of the popular vote) that is virtually an dictatorship until the next election (unless of course they decide to forgo the next election).
03-11-2011, 01:41 AM
(02-11-2011 07:52 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  It was one person and he approached me to ask about my atheism.

Another example of why atheism should be considered a religion - cause others do - and I'm already prepped for this kinda thing.

I'm "high" on my "dual-state identity thingy" cause I know way more than the average bear about "identity" (and it's new). People in general do not approach one "seeking another's identity," more often the approach is through a need to reaffirm their own. Wink

03-11-2011, 06:52 AM
(02-11-2011 07:52 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  
(01-11-2011 01:08 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Jimmy.

Matt

It was one person and he approached me to ask about my atheism. I told him my background and about my not believing in a god or any god. He asked about my wife's religion and I told him she was a very devout RC. He asked me, "Do you thinks she is right?" I said no, I think she is dead wrong, that she thinks I am dead wrong. He asked if I thought he (RC) was wrong too and I said yes, that is the nature of my atheism. Next thing I know I am up in HR explaining myself.

As far as suing for wrongful dismissal, here in Canada the Human Rights Tribunal (appointed, not elected) can do almost anything they want and their decisions are usually final. We do not have the protections you in the States have. Our "Bill of Rights" can be set aside for any reason. We do not have freedom of speech (hate speech is punishable by law, freedom of religion, public tax money supports the RC school system, and on and on. We have a majority government now (with less than 50% of the popular vote) that is virtually an dictatorship until the next election (unless of course they decide to forgo the next election).

your co-worker sounds like a +20 moron. Holy crap! He's bithcing about a quesiton he asked you? PURE FOOLISHNESS! Yet another waste a space...

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post