Religion and wars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Religion and wars
If you put on your rose tinted shades and count territorial conflicts, heavily influenced by religion, as secular wars, the authors may have a point. Using that method, even the 30 years war, which was territorial but mainly a conflict between protestantism and catholicism, becomes a secular struggle. Yet without religion it wouldn't have been as disastrous and lenghty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
25-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Thanks folks, I thought the same. But just wanted to hear some other intelligent thought on this considering I'm in the south. And most of the people on my Facebook are religious. I just couldn't find a lot of info on the writers of this supposed book on wars.

Edrut Scssrhnds
27-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Religion bites period! From Columbus to the Crusades..etc. It bloody sucks.Killings in the name of an omniscient deity! I have no use for organized religion or its god/gods. I was Catholic my whole life..College educated me....lol Sadcryface the whole religious experience about killed me. Anyone feel like me?
27-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Actually, despite being underlined, atheism has very little to do with Stalin's and Mao's desire for expansion. If one is going to blame atheism for communist imperialism then one should also blame Roman polytheism for Caesar's conquest of Gaul, or Germanic Heathenry for the Saxons, Angles and Jutes conquering Britain, or even Christianity for the Indian Wars. Their is a difference between a war fought by people of different religions and a war fought over different religions.

And, after googling Phillips and Axelrod, I got to the Wikipedia page this was presumably ripped from. According to the same source all but 15% of religious wars are the fault of Islam or Christianity, and since the founding of Christianity there have only been 440 years without a religious war.

Furthermore, this 7% only includes wars where the primary motive was religion. Many ethnic conflicts have a religious aspect, and vice versa. Religion is also often used to justify a conflict being fought for gain. The Teutonic Order's Crusade against Lithuania was supposedly done as part of the "good ol' Christin' fight aginst' them ebul pagun sinnurs" (yes, I know that is probably not the accent of the Teutonic Knights, but it is the accent of their modern equivalent), but was in reality little more then a campaign of banditry and theft against a conveniently pagan population.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
28-04-2015, 05:33 AM
(27-04-2015 06:11 PM)Hypatia069 Wrote:  Religion bites period! From Columbus to the Crusades..etc. It bloody sucks.Killings in the name of an omniscient deity! I have no use for organized religion or its god/gods. I was Catholic my whole life..College educated me....lol Sadcryface the whole religious experience about killed me. Anyone feel like me?

What's suprising you? It's not like the biblical god was good guy, he certainly wasn't squeamish about killing. And people are capable of killing for what is important to them, so it is no wonder that they're killing for religion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.