Religion as a motive of war

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Religion as a motive of war
Hey,

I'm a last year high school student in Belgium. Lately we've been learning through my history teachers about the "real" motives behind historic wars and "fake" motives behind them.

This meaning that wars of the past had motives which were not told to the public because they would be immoral for example, between these motives we would find the expansion of territories, acquiring the enemy's resources, basically the biggest hidden motive is for the money and resources.

On the other hand, we have the motives the war leaders used to remove the guilt off themselves and their actions.

An example using both, a war leader would declare war on X country to acquire their gold mines, while saying and telling themselves and to the public that they're invading said country to civilize them and bring peace to them.

My history placed "Religion" as one of the motives to remove guilt, not as one that is real.

What do you think? Did wars really happen BECAUSE of religion or they're a cover-up motive for other reasons like territory taking?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jokurix's post
14-01-2017, 03:39 PM
RE: Religion as a motive of war
If you disregard idiocy about atheism* being cause of war then there is nice summary here - http://www.is-there-a-god.info/clues/war/

Personally I would say that religion could make the conflict worse or provide good justification for it to last. Good if unorthodox example would be III Reich attacking USSR. Nazism was more ideology than religion even if it used religious language but without racist component in it eastern front would be more like western front I assume. War was so brutal cause Nazis seen Soviets as subhumans to whom no quarter should be given when such was clearly wrong approach - for me it show what is role of religion in conflict. It blinds adherents to reason by demonizing other side and make compromise seemingly impossible.

*"Atheistic" Soviet Union was more like a theocracy with ruling party being concerned with orthodoxy of it's faith - marxism-leninism.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-01-2017, 04:09 PM
People have been cooking up bullshit excuses for killing one another since we came down from the trees.........................

It's almost always about greed, hate, or fear................

Nobody ever started a war out of compassion, love or kindness..........

But they always insist that those ARE their reasons...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-01-2017, 10:38 PM
@Jokurix

If you want a second opinion from another history high school teacher from another continent, I would say your teacher is correct. Religion isn't really a root cause of conflict. It's more like a way to legitimise violence, dehumanise the ennemy or give nobility to horror. Even interconfessionnal wars like the Protestant and Catholic wars or the Shia and Sunni conflict reeks of tribalism, nationalism, political and economical conflict. A doctrinal conflict is "warfare" for the decrepit scholars not for the youth of nation who fight wars and pay its price.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.