Religion by definitionS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 07:54 AM by Youkay.)
Religion by definitionS
Maybe we can look at words by definition to make our case, just for the fun of it. I find it quite amusing.

faith
- strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

spiritual
- relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

- relating to religion or religious belief.

Ergo, when "spiritual" is substituted in the definition of "faith" with the definition of "spiritual", we get:

Faith is the strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on religion related conviction rather than proof.

So next time someone says I've got faith, I will say you've got a circular argument Big Grin

Maybe you guys can come up with other fun examples.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Religion by definitionS
I'll give it a crack.

Trinity
the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one Godhead according to Christian dogma

The Godhead
the nature of God especially as existing in three persons

Dogma
a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted

So, let's put that together

Trinity
the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one nature of God especially as existing in three persons according to a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by Christians without being questioned or doubted

So, we end up with a circular definition that is accepted without question. Awesome.

(In all fairness, another definition of Godhead is simply "a divine essence", but in context, the definition is circular and accepted at face value.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post