Religion classes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Religion classes?
I was wondering if any of you have taken religions classes. I have the opportunity to take a beginning course on the subject in the fall. Interesting? Helpful? waste of time?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
RE: Religion classes?
(03-04-2012 08:21 PM)Noelani Wrote:  I was wondering if any of you have taken religions classes. I have the opportunity to take a beginning course on the subject in the fall. Interesting? Helpful? waste of time?
I've taken one before, to me it was a waste of time because I already knew everything they were teaching. The different points of view on the subject matter may come in handy but if you are an atheist it's likely to either educate you on how people think or piss you off at the never ending logical fallacies and lack of evidence. If you aren't aware of what's out there and just want to learn a little about it sure.

As far as furthering ones education I can't find a reason it would help. I'm not apologetic to religious beliefs. I'm an anti-theist atheist if that helps you with where I'm coming from.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Its only useful if you're going into a career that it benifits you to help you understand how their religion works. (Ie historian, politician, brainwashing community, ect)

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
05-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't want to make a career of it, I just have extremely religious family members (some even work in the church) and friends. I've only come out to a couple of my friends and no one in my family knows yet. I want to be open and honest about what I believe but I can't expect not to have a rigorous Q&A and debate about why I don't believe anymore. It would be nice to be as prepared as possible and from people who know what they are talking about.

I found this... http://archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus and it's been eye opening to say the least.
[+] 1 user Likes Noelani's post
05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
you can always drop it if it's boring Wink
05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
(03-04-2012 08:21 PM)Noelani Wrote:  I was wondering if any of you have taken religions classes. I have the opportunity to take a beginning course on the subject in the fall. Interesting? Helpful? waste of time?
I've taken Philosophy of Religion. I thought it was a very interesting class, as it addressed the relevant question of "Does God Exist?" The professor didn't personally take any stance on it and felt that the question was still unanswered because every question for or against the existence of God had a strong rebuttal.

I won't say that it will help me with a career, though. It was purely an elective class.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
06-04-2012, 03:31 AM
I attended Religion Class while in highschool and elementary school, but because it was normal and tradition, so my parents kinda forced me into it, 'cause "you can't be a true Croat-patriot if you take Ethics instead of Religion"... I always hated it and instead of getting high grades and improving my average grade, I almost failed that every year, so it made my average score worse. Smile

My suggestion would be no. Don't take the class, it is a waste of time, you will learn nothing of interest there, you can learn all sorts of new and interesting things here in this forum, things they will never teach you in Religion Class. I can give you tons of data to process...

Religion is something nobody can push onto you, it is something you must choose with your own free will, everything else is BS and wrong. If you parents ever give you any trouble, tell them this and tell them that God gave all of us free will, you are just using what was given to you as your own right.

If you do not want to sound like a terrible heathen, you can always say you believe in "a God", but not in "the Church", that is why you will not attend any mass or class. Tell them your troubles and sins are between you and your God, you will sort them out privately, not via some guy that tells us he is God's representative, but has no credentials to show...

Smile

It so great to bullshit people with their own weapons.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-04-2012, 05:41 AM
(05-04-2012 05:08 PM)Noelani Wrote:  I don't want to make a career of it, I just have extremely religious family members (some even work in the church) and friends. I've only come out to a couple of my friends and no one in my family knows yet. I want to be open and honest about what I believe but I can't expect not to have a rigorous Q&A and debate about why I don't believe anymore. It would be nice to be as prepared as possible and from people who know what they are talking about.

I found this... http://archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus and it's been eye opening to say the least.
Hey...great link....thanks!
06-04-2012, 05:51 AM
I took a Religion class during my first year at college. I basically had a choice to pick a class about comparative religion, or catholicism. Since I went to catholic school, I had a good idea of what the course on catholicism was going to be about, so I went with comparative religion.

The course started out ok. We covered Islam and Judaism, and when we reached Christianity, it was pretty obvious that the instructor was extremely biased. Several times he taught his own interpretation and succumbed to preaching instead of teaching. My sister and I were in that class together, and we called him out on it a few times. Eventually, he squished together a bunch of other religions in the last week of the course.

All in all, it wasn't a very enlightening experience. But I did read the book on my own and learnt a lot from that. I would agree that it's a waste of time. Nothing you can't just learn on your own without someone inserting their own bias into things.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
06-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I think if you are interested.. than absolutely take the class.. But that is my opinion on any subject matter.. What can the harm be in learning more about anything?! The people who are saying no, don't take it.. weren't motivated to take the class in the first place. I have been looking for a good unbiased class on religion/ history of the diff religions myself-- mostly because I'm very open about my atheism to anyone who brings it up-- I get really pissed about the subject because people normally think -- oh its because you grew up mormon that you have such opposing views of religion-- and that has NOTHING to do with my atheism.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post