Religion classes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 08:02 AM
RE: Religion classes?
I don't think learning anything is a waste of time. I went to Catholic school from 6th grade through high school so I had enough of that. However, I like listening to podcasts and reading about other religions because I like knowing where a person is coming from as far as their beliefs go. We took a class in high school called World Religions and basically were taught that they were all wrong.

I am fascinated by cults...I keep wondering if I will ever hear about one that makes a grain of sense. Sometimes studying something leads to other things that you find interesting. Learning about other religions is also a good way to learn about the cultures in other parts of the world.

Just remember that in a religion class, as an atheist, you may feel like your eyes are going to roll out of your head and you will be quizzed and preached at.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Learning about things helps us understand the world better. That's never a waste of time.
06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
(06-04-2012 08:19 AM)mysterious stranger Wrote:  Learning about things helps us understand the world better. That's never a waste of time.

Yes and no. If you were to attend a Religious Class in school, you will not learn a lot of things, you will only listen to a lot of bullshit. If you want to learn about religions in general, or any specific one, it is much better to educate yourself online, than to listen to that nonsense. I would know, I spent years and years in school on Religion Classes... Also, this forum is way more objective, with more historical facts and references than any religion class will be teaching you, because we teach and learn, they indoctrinate.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-04-2012, 08:49 AM
(06-04-2012 08:39 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(06-04-2012 08:19 AM)mysterious stranger Wrote:  Learning about things helps us understand the world better. That's never a waste of time.

Yes and no. If you were to attend a Religious Class in school, you will not learn a lot of things, you will only listen to a lot of bullshit. If you want to learn about religions in general, or any specific one, it is much better to educate yourself online, than to listen to that nonsense. I would know, I spent years and years in school on Religion Classes... Also, this forum is way more objective, with more historical facts and references than any religion class will be teaching you, because we teach and learn, they indoctrinate.
If religion is taught in school in place of more important things, like science, then I agree. If it's to be taught in school at all it should be many religions, and taught objectively. Then it's not a waste of time, and really no different than just learning about ancient Greek and Roman gods.
06-04-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 04:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-04-2012 05:41 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(05-04-2012 05:08 PM)Noelani Wrote:  I don't want to make a career of it, I just have extremely religious family members (some even work in the church) and friends. I've only come out to a couple of my friends and no one in my family knows yet. I want to be open and honest about what I believe but I can't expect not to have a rigorous Q&A and debate about why I don't believe anymore. It would be nice to be as prepared as possible and from people who know what they are talking about.

I found this... http://archive.org/details/HistoricalJesus and it's been eye opening to say the least.

Hey...great link....thanks!

Wow, that IS a great link. Bless you. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I've had 9 college hours (3 classes) of theology. Although I've had more considering class names (approximations listed):
Introduction to Theology [required that students attend a service of a religion OTHER than your own]
Evil and Demonic in Christian Tradition

Marriage and Christian Life
Critically analyzing the bible
|-- this class had three main effects: reaffirm your faith, reaffirm your atheism/skepticism, make you atheist/skeptical

Basically, what the theology class is about, who's teaching it, and a number of other conditions can alter whether it is a good thing or bad thing. In all of my classes, not only was criticizing the bible or questioning it encouraged, the priests/professors outright did themselves--ranging from why there are two-three main lists of the ten commandments, who "us/our" is in "let us create man in our image", when were the angels created, etc. In situations where you can ask, you can get many viewpoints and see how people respond--if questioning is "forbidden" you may be limited to any arguments that would arise about the religion. Now if it covers multiple religions, it could be useful regardless as you can learn about more than just the "standard for the area" religion.
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Agreed! Learning is wonderful, but you don't need to pay money for a college class you won't use in your career to learn! There are other ways.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
07-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Only my opinion.. I have come to terms with the whole bullshit of religion. I say, understand what you feel like you need to know. Knowledge is an un-dying quest and I feel as if there is nothing wrong with wanting to know everything in the world. If it benefits you, then go for it!

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection