Religion (!) does no harm at all...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Religion (!) does no harm at all...
I just finished watching "The God Who Wasn't There" by Brian Flemming. At about 30:33, he posits the question for discussion "Religion does no harm at all"...thought this would be a great forum discussion topic.

Please share any videos you may have seen or discussions with theists that have really nailed (!) the topic in argument for or against.

To begin with, I have posted a link to Christian atrocities acted upon natives in Canada (don't watch if you're squeamish)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CReISnQDb...r_embedded

Video is part of the Hidden From History: The Canadian Holocaust web-site: http://www.hiddenfromhistory.org/

Cheers.
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2010, 02:27 PM
RE: Religion (!) does no harm at all...
I posted this on a Facebook discussion board. I think it applies here.

Unbeliever Wrote:Yes, I do think that atheism has social benefits. One such example is the reversing of the Catholic Church's stance on contraception. Another, their stance on homosexuality.
But I don't think that you do justice to atheism at its core. You say that "spreading the word of reason and debating theists about the god delusion" is not looking at the bigger picture.
I think it is.
The "god delusion" encourages selective blindness and uncritical thinking. It teaches that there are some things which cannot be touched, situations where universal rules do not apply, questions you are not allowed to ask. It is inherently harmful in the sense that it cripples the minds of those who believe it, often to the point where they cannot realize their own maiming and fight back viciously against anyone who points it out to them.
Atheism is, by itself, a social good, if for no other reason than it has no taboo questions, no untouchable values. There is nothing that you cannot question, no area not open for debate.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2010, 04:49 PM

Right!--I've always said that ignorance is the root of all "evil".
17-02-2010, 08:16 PM

(17-02-2010 04:49 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Right!--I've always said that ignorance is the root of all "evil".

If you follow this link --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPfymsbNkE

It will take you to the debate that Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry had with Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdencombe MP. Specifically, the debate was whether the Catholic Church was a force of good or not...seeing how the Catholic religion is one of the biggest (if not the biggest), it was great to see Fry and Hitchens dismantle the arguments of the two Catholics.
17-02-2010, 09:55 PM

^THANKS!
I saw a video where Ann Widdencombe meets with Hitchens and Fry after the debate, but couldn't find the debate video! Big Grin
18-02-2010, 01:41 AM

(17-02-2010 08:16 PM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
(17-02-2010 04:49 PM)Grassharpper Wrote:  Right!--I've always said that ignorance is the root of all "evil".

If you follow this link --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuPfymsbNkE

It will take you to the debate that Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry had with Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Ann Widdencombe MP. Specifically, the debate was whether the Catholic Church was a force of good or not...seeing how the Catholic religion is one of the biggest (if not the biggest), it was great to see Fry and Hitchens dismantle the arguments of the two Catholics.
Yeah man--thanks for that. I don't know how I missed that when it happened. Logic never sounds so brilliant and beyond reproach as when it's being articulated by a stone cold Brit. It's not just the words but the construction of the sentences and the clarity of thought---it's pretty damn inspiring. These guys are heroes. You just don't hear many Americans talk like that. I do like the way Bill Maher (Feb. 19 new season) puts it out there and of course the late George Carlin, but nothing really gets my attention like the sound and sincerity of both Hitchens and Fry. And in comparison to the those babbling blow hards on the other side, how could a reasonable human not be moved by that kind of honesty and forthrightness. I will say that the British people and probably most of Europe have definitely come further than the Americans, in not just accepting the truth for what it is, but realizing the importance of expressing it without malice, fear, or shame. I wish more people in this country would take a cue from these folks and motivate the kind of passion and fortitude necessary to combat this horrendous mass mental illness-- and soon--because all of it plays into culture, politics, and industry. The clock is ticking on planetary ecosystems and we need to turn this thing around as soon as possible--for the sake of humanity as well as the natural world.
18-02-2010, 06:21 AM

(17-02-2010 09:55 PM)Nahuel Wrote:  ^THANKS!
I saw a video where Ann Widdencombe meets with Hitchens and Fry after the debate, but couldn't find the debate video! Big Grin

Here it is, my friend... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9xBj6QOQpU

Be warned...Widdecombe's shrill voice just about made me lose my sense of composure. Big Grin
18-02-2010, 12:37 PM

(18-02-2010 06:21 AM)supermanlives1973 Wrote:  
(17-02-2010 09:55 PM)Nahuel Wrote:  ^THANKS!

Here it is, my friend... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9xBj6QOQpU

Be warned...Widdecombe's shrill voice just about made me lose my sense of composure. Big Grin

Haha, yes that's the one I saw, I was looking for the debate she was talking about. Kudos to you for sharing the link Tongue

I commented on the video that her voice reminds me of Mrs. Doubtfire Tongue