Religion gives a pre-packaged purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2015, 04:37 PM
RE: Religion gives a pre-packaged purpose
(12-05-2015 08:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think it's, well strange purpose - spending your entire life in service to some fairy with beard.

Hey now. You could do worse.

[Image: tooth.jpg]

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-05-2015, 02:35 AM
I think its natural to want to feel that there is "something more" due to fear of our mortality. Or even something more than human capable in us.

I also think its fascinating to come to terms with our insignificance in this universe.
16-05-2015, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 09:03 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Thinking for yourself is more difficult than accepting "wisdom" from on high.

A lamb has a shepherd to give it purpose, inside the herd, right up to the knife at the throat. A wolf, on the other hand, seeks out its own life, and cannot live the life of a herd animal.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-05-2015, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2015 12:30 PM by TheMrBillShow.)
Religion is the ultimate tribe, the ultimate "Us" and "Them." The "Us" is part of a blissful little clique upon whom grace and truth have been showered. They're "included" and have (yes, a great term) "pre-packaged purpose." Unlike any other tribe or club, membership in this "Us" includes the "Golden Ticket," admission into the theme park to come after death.

As for the poor pitiable "Them?" Well, they are wanted to join the "Us" tribe, but only after agreeing to a very specific and quite odd set of stipulations. If they reject these stipulations, they are pitied by the "Us," who say things like "What if you're wrong?" or "Something must've happened to you!" or even "Why do you hate 'Us' so much?" "Us" believes "Them" are headed to, well, *not* a theme park after death (Depending on the tradition, this place is called Hell, the Underworld, or Camden, NJ).

Still, despite "Us'"protestations to the contrary, "Them" suspects "Us" enjoys the comfort of their smug superiority and feeling like they have something up on "Them," only "Us" would never admit to enjoying such a thing.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post