Religion in American Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Religion in American Politics
There is a new Pew poll that surveyed 1,503 American adults earlier this month.

The results indicate that the number of people who think that there is too much talk about religion politicians is at an all-time high.

Quote:Nearly four-in-ten Americans (38%) now say there has been too much expression of religious faith and prayer from political leaders, while 30% say there has been too little. In 2010, more said there was too little than too much religious expression from politicians (37% vs. 29%). The percentage saying there is too much expression of religious faith by politicians has increased across party lines, but this view remains far more widespread among Democrats than Republicans.

Here's the study results:

http://www.pewforum.org/Politics-and-Ele...cians.aspx

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2012, 05:38 PM
RE: Religion in American Politics
The problem is, both groups saying "too much religion" and "too little religion" are a bad sign. The first one is right and the second one will never be satisfied by anything less than theocracy.

23-03-2012, 06:07 PM
lol some people are saying too little?! What the fuck do they want? buckets of holy water being sprayed onto them in the middle of debates?

I wish religion would stop making its way into politics, It's extremely unnecessary. Nearly all I hear is crap about the bible, how America was founded on Christian values (when all of them know it wasn't), and shit about how Obama care will lead to promiscuous behaviour as contraception is evil.

They need to focus on the actual issues rather than complaining about 'atheists not having morals'. I'm glad some people have finally Saud something about there being too much religion in politics talk right now

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
23-03-2012, 06:49 PM
These days this thread title could be reversed.

Politics in American Religion.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
23-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Both parties are generally for religion in public discourse, I say this because they eagerly use it as campaign fodder and wedge issues. both parties could easily splinter if their voting block just came to a consensus on the role of religion in politics because theirs infighting within both major political parties.
24-03-2012, 01:17 PM
To the conservatives who claim to hold the Constitution so dear:

The Constitution of the United States, Article VI reads, in part,

"...no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Got it? Angry

I bet you know your Bible about as well. Idiots.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Yesterday, I was watching the TTA's Q&A session at OSSU on youtube , and at one point the topic of the Abortion Debate came up.

Seth gave the most common responses as to why someone would be "Pro-Choice" or "Pro-Life." The Pro-Choice crowd usually say they're defending a woman's right to choose, while Pro-Lifers are trying to save the life of an unborn child. From my POV, Pro-Choice advocates base their stance on the rights and liberties, and in some cases the medical needs, of women, while Pro-Life advocates mostly base their stance on their religious beliefs. I've heard that some possible side affects of getting an abortion are scarring and damage to the cervix and uterine lining, but I've rarely, if ever, heard these arguments from Pro-Life people to back their views. They seem to solely rely on their religious views when defending their stance in the public forum.

So, in my round-about way of asking, when, if ever, is it appropriate to justify legal laws and bills on someone's religious beliefs in a secular society? Why don't people who are Pro-Life try to defend their stance on science (possible medical side affects) and the public good (less abortions mean more people who could become teachers, scientists, and healthcare workers) instead of defending it with religion?

So I'm not solely focusing on abortion, what about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) aka the Food Stamp Program? Many believe this is a good and vital program, but is it enough to justify SNAP by quoting Luke 3:11? (And [John the Baptist] would answer and say to them, "Let the man with two tunics share with him who has none, and let him who has food do likewise.")

On a side note, if this isn't an appropriate place to discuss this, please let me know and I'll create a separate thread for this. Being a newbie I don't want to do too many things wrong. And yes, I'm "Pro-Choice" and do support the necessity of SNAP as I wouldn't have been able to eat lunch all throughout my public schooling otherwise.

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
[+] 2 users Like Zephony's post