Poll: What to do
Call the ACLU
Call the Police Chief
Ignore
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Religion in Local Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Religion in Local Politics
My in-law lives in one of the southern US states that starts with the letter "A".
I've seen some disturbing things here over the years (a bumper sticker that said "Coon hunters for Christ") and today I saw yet another; a police car with a front bumper license plate that had a depiction of Jesus with the words "still saving lives". My first thought was to call the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), my second was to call the police chief and complain. Any thoughts or opinions on what, if anything, I should do? Maybe just forget about it and not get pulled over for speeding by Officer Jesus?

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: Religion in Local Politics
"Coon hunters for christ"

I want one, because that's fucking hilarious!!! Clap
23-03-2013, 08:36 PM
(23-03-2013 08:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  "Coon hunters for christ"

On the web, yes. But no so much when driving down a lonely country road and the bumper sticker is on an old, beat up pickup truck with a gun on the gun rack. A bit disconcerting especially since I'm only visiting these here parts and I'm not a good 'ol boy.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
23-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I humbly make a suggestion even though I know not what to do. But...I bet someone does. I bet someone has fought this battle before and won and you could learn from their hard-won knowledge.

First...Document the Problem.

Get a Photo of the offending car. Note the time and place.

Two...Create a form Letter

Create a form letter that you will send out to the FFRF, American Atheists, ACLU, etc (and anyone else you can think of)...which explains and demonstrates the problem (attach the photo) as well as asks for help as to how YOU may solve it. Also, ask the agency to reccoommend someone who ca give good advice if they are unable to either give advice, or help.

Third...Review the Options and Choose an Option

From what you have discovered via your letters to the experts, review the options and select the option, or options, that has/have historically shown to get the best result. Make sure you have the time and money to implement the option.

Fourth...Implement

I hope this helps.

Julius
23-03-2013, 08:41 PM
(23-03-2013 08:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 08:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  "Coon hunters for christ"

On the web, yes. But no so much when driving down a lonely country road and the bumper sticker is on an old, beat up pickup truck with a gun on the gun rack. A bit disconcerting especially since I'm only visiting these here parts and I'm not a good 'ol boy.
I can see where you would be concerned. I grew up with these types, maybe not quite as bad as down there, but I can kick shit with the best of them if I have to. Tongue
23-03-2013, 08:47 PM
(23-03-2013 08:39 PM)Julius Wrote:  I humbly make a suggestion even though I know not what to do. But...I bet someone does. I bet someone has fought this battle before and won and you could learn from their hard-won knowledge.

First...Document the Problem.

Get a Photo of the offending car. Note the time and place.

Two...Create a form Letter

Create a form letter that you will send out to the FFRF, American Atheists, ACLU, etc (and anyone else you can think of)...which explains and demonstrates the problem (attach the photo) as well as asks for help as to how YOU may solve it. Also, ask the agency to reccoommend someone who ca give good advice if they are unable to either give advice, or help.

Third...Review the Options and Choose an Option

From what you have discovered via your letters to the experts, review the options and select the option, or options, that has/have historically shown to get the best result. Make sure you have the time and money to implement the option.

Fourth...Implement

I hope this helps.

Julius
Julius, I went to the FFRF and filed a complaint online. Lets see if they repond. Thanks for the advice, I already feel better about it.

23-03-2013, 08:51 PM
(23-03-2013 08:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 08:36 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  On the web, yes. But no so much when driving down a lonely country road and the bumper sticker is on an old, beat up pickup truck with a gun on the gun rack. A bit disconcerting especially since I'm only visiting these here parts and I'm not a good 'ol boy.
I can see where you would be concerned. I grew up with these types, maybe not quite as bad as down there, but I can kick shit with the best of them if I have to. Tongue
I could kick shit once, martial arts and all that. Nowdays I keep a low profile, a Doberman pinscher and a loaded weapon. Don't want to go back to anger management classes no mo'. Argue

23-03-2013, 08:59 PM
(23-03-2013 08:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 08:41 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I can see where you would be concerned. I grew up with these types, maybe not quite as bad as down there, but I can kick shit with the best of them if I have to. Tongue
I could kick shit once, martial arts and all that. Nowdays I keep a low profile, a Doberman pinscher and a loaded weapon. Don't want to go back to anger management classes no mo'. Argue
Haha! Nah, I really aint no tough guy. I'm a lover, not a fighter. I was just saying that I can fake being a redneck to get along with assholes if I have to. Cool
23-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Quick review of case in the last week here in TX somewhere. Prayers to open city counsel meetings challenged. City counsel response...of course it's Christian prayer, there are no Jewish synagogues in our area or any other religious sects. There are only churches so of course there will be Christian prayer. They aren't leaving anyone out, there is nothing else. He goes on to blame the Atheists. Cripes!

Now I have heard of FFRF coming in to fight some policies...this isn't one of those times.

Damned Atheists...even if we aren't involved, we are to blame...for everything.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-03-2013, 09:05 PM
(23-03-2013 09:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Quick review of case in the last week here in TX somewhere. Prayers to open city counsel meetings challenged. City counsel response...of course it's Christian prayer, there are no Jewish synagogues in our area or any other religious sects. There are only churches so of course there will be Christian prayer. They aren't leaving anyone out, there is nothing else. He goes on to blame the Atheists. Cripes!

Now I have heard of FFRF coming in to fight some policies...this isn't one of those times.

Damned Atheists...even if we aren't involved, we are to blame...for everything.
I think what weirded me out is that it was on a police car, you know, our "impartial" and armed bretheren.