Poll: What to do
Call the ACLU
Call the Police Chief
Ignore
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Religion in Local Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 09:15 PM
RE: Religion in Local Politics
If you think the justice system is impartial...you may have missed a memo.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-03-2013, 09:24 PM
[Image: oath_zps32151fae.jpg]

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?

23-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't think you have a case at all. Some police forces assign patrol cars to specific officers (usually a supervisor) to drive exclusively. If that's the case and this guy bought the sticker on his own and put it on the car himself, your attempt to have him remove the sticker will be considered an attempt at denying him freedom of speech. Even though he represents the government and is paid through the extortion of your money, his sticker isn't indicative of the state sanctioning religion.

And regarding the coon hunter sticker... coon doesn't always mean raccoon in the south. So that sticker is likely a double entendre.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2013, 09:28 PM
(23-03-2013 09:25 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I don't think you have a case at all. Some police forces assign patrol cars to specific officers (usually a supervisor) to drive exclusively. If that's the case and this guy bought the sticker on his own and put it on the car himself, your attempt to have him remove the sticker will be considered an attempt at denying him freedom of speech. Even though he represents the government and is paid through the extortion of your money, his sticker isn't indicative of the state sanctioning religion.

And regarding the coon hunter sticker... coon doesn't always mean raccoon in the south. So that sticker is likely a double entendre.
But the plate is on public property, ie the squad car.

I know its a double entendre, and I can assure you he didn't mean rakkkoon.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2013, 09:30 PM
(23-03-2013 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  But the plate is on public property, ie the squad car.
That's just my opinion, based on my limited knowledge of the law.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2013, 09:31 PM
(23-03-2013 09:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  [Image: oath_zps32151fae.jpg]

Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?
Have any of you had to swear on a bible? I haven't but have thought of what I would say.
"That book is not sacred to me so it would be meaningless for me to swear on it".

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-03-2013, 09:35 PM
(23-03-2013 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 09:25 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I don't think you have a case at all. Some police forces assign patrol cars to specific officers (usually a supervisor) to drive exclusively. If that's the case and this guy bought the sticker on his own and put it on the car himself, your attempt to have him remove the sticker will be considered an attempt at denying him freedom of speech. Even though he represents the government and is paid through the extortion of your money, his sticker isn't indicative of the state sanctioning religion.

But the plate is on public property, ie the squad car.

I know its a double entendre, and I can assure you he didn't mean rakkkoon.
Just so I'm clear, this was my first thought also. And while I am offended at the meaning behind it, the visual I got thinking of this bumper sticker is still fucking funny. Big Grin

Also, kudos for taking action.
23-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I haven't had to swear on a Bible but I know there was a God part in the Girl Scout oath and I am pretty sure God came into play when I was sworn into the Army, but those were both a long, long time ago and I don't remember the exact words.

23-03-2013, 10:01 PM
evenheathen: It is fucking funny in a twisted way, and thanks for the kudos, I felt an atheistic swelling in my bosom.

anjele: You are a veteran? Thank you for your service. I'm am constantly amazed by the people here.

24-03-2013, 12:00 AM
(23-03-2013 08:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My in-law lives in one of the southern US states that starts with the letter "A".
I've seen some disturbing things here over the years (a bumper sticker that said "Coon hunters for Christ") and today I saw yet another; a police car with a front bumper license plate that had a depiction of Jesus with the words "still saving lives". My first thought was to call the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), my second was to call the police chief and complain. Any thoughts or opinions on what, if anything, I should do? Maybe just forget about it and not get pulled over for speeding by Officer Jesus?
I'm not sure this as this is coming from memory but I think that you have to be living in the area to file a lawsuit against the said offenders. So while your son can file a complaint you can't. I could be wrong here though.

Just an outsider looking inn.