Poll: What to do
Call the ACLU
Call the Police Chief
Ignore
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Religion in Local Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 07:02 AM
RE: Religion in Local Politics
(24-03-2013 12:00 AM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 08:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  My in-law lives in one of the southern US states that starts with the letter "A".
I've seen some disturbing things here over the years (a bumper sticker that said "Coon hunters for Christ") and today I saw yet another; a police car with a front bumper license plate that had a depiction of Jesus with the words "still saving lives". My first thought was to call the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), my second was to call the police chief and complain. Any thoughts or opinions on what, if anything, I should do? Maybe just forget about it and not get pulled over for speeding by Officer Jesus?
I'm not sure this as this is coming from memory but I think that you have to be living in the area to file a lawsuit against the said offenders. So while your son can file a complaint you can't. I could be wrong here though.
Foxcanine1 - you may be correct, I haven't found clarification yet on domicile.

This site is for Federal Guidelines but if local is similar I might have a case.
http://clinton2.nara.gov/WH/New/html/19970819-3275.html

Bolding mine:

A. Religious Expression. As a matter of law, agencies shall not restrict personal religious expression by employees in the Federal workplace except where the employee's interest in the expression is outweighed by the government's interest in the efficient provision of public services or where the expression intrudes upon the legitimate rights of other employees or creates the appearance, to a reasonable observer, of an official endorsement of religion. The examples cited in these Guidelines as permissible forms of religious expression will rarely, if ever, fall within these exceptions.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 09:11 PM
RE: Religion in Local Politics
I just received this regarding my complaint, you were right about domicile Foxcanine1:

Thank you for contacting FFRF regarding this potential state/church violation. We appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, FFRF's legal team is very small and receives numerous state/church complaints daily. We rely heavily on our complainants to assist in background investigation, confirmation of facts, and to verify if an issue has been resolved. If FFRF needed to file a lawsuit to remedy a state/church violation, we would need a local resident with the appropriate "standing."

We see that you live in Florida, but are reporting a violation occurring in Alabama. It is legally difficult for FFRF to make a formal complaint against this police department without a local complainant. Additionally, for religious iconography posted on government property, we do ask for a picture/photo of the display. Further, because you're not local, we would have no way of confirming whether the police department complies with our request.

Therefore, unfortunately, we will not be able to formally object to this display. If you have other state/church concerns in your area, or if my understanding of the violation/location is incorrect, please do not hesitate to contact FFRF again.
Thanks!

Elizabeth Cavell
Staff Attorney
Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc.
PO Box 750
Madison, WI 53701
(608) 256-8900

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply