Religion in poilitics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2011, 07:10 PM

Religion in poilitics
So i know religion is a big deal for an American politician.

For various reasons (mostly we dont get free to air tv in my house and our media is all online) I miss out on the whole media phenomenon of election time (in australia anyway, american elections still appear all over my recommended videos for some reason) and cast my vote entirely based on official statements from all the parties listing only their policies should they win and their history as far as holding to those promises goes. This means that a recent archive binge from the 07 election was the first time i realised that australian poiliticians are also pretty much required by the voters to at least appear devout. I was surprised.

Surprised because, unlike the great flood of american media i see but similar to the very small amount of brit news i catch, Australian atheists are at least more vocal about separating church and state as well as religious ideals from any education institute not dedicated to that faith. I recall not very long ago a quite large outcry against the university of sydney for accepting a several million dollar grant from the catholic diocese of sydney on the proviso that they conduct no stem cell research. So yes It surprised me to find that a country i had considered to be at most a majority of lip service christians would see a major news network make a big deal of a political candidate's church habits.

Has your country ever surprised you by letting religion spill into politics when you didnt expect it? What about surprisingly secular decisions from governments with a very religious leaning? I'd like to hear some
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 08:53 PM
RE: Religion in poilitics
I'm from the US, Texas to be exact. I was surprised when I found out that they actually REQUIRE someone to believe in a 'supreme being' to hold office.

This is unconstitutional but they still do it because no one has challenged it. Other states do it too. I posted a page somewhere else on the board that listed them, I will see if I can dig it up.
Here's a link:

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Law..._agnostics

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2011, 07:23 AM
My biggest beef with religion in politics is the endangerment that is happening too the people. The religious right is very much in cahoots with big business, and are completely ignoring the implications of "for the people" in favor of governing for the ridiculously rich. The constitution as I see it doesn't offer rights or protections tto corporations, so they need to be secoondary to those of the individual. Stephen Hawking, Noam Chomsky and many others are warning us we need to re-evaluate our resource consomption and pollution of our beautiful planet, or else we. Will either dieor be forced to colonize other planets/bodies in space. But curbing consumption and the space program are being ignored in favor of a. Ridiculous "Gawd will protect us" view. Give this thinking a couple of centuries and gawd may doom mankind whether he exists or not.
31-01-2011, 07:24 AM
I just wrote an article along these lines...

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/01/...ology.html

While religion has always been inseparable from American politics, it does ebb and flow - we're definitely in a "flow" period now....

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2011, 03:14 AM

Magnet I agree wth your points who heartedly. However I also worry for those whom you portray as villains for their abuse of god's words will surly result in eternal suffering. Not only are they corrupting his message but for material gain. I pray that they see the correct path to righteous ness and seek forgiveness for their evil actions before it is too late.

The government is for the people not for the vile souls who attempt to corrupt it.
02-02-2011, 06:54 AM
(02-02-2011 03:14 AM)creationistpidyn Wrote:  Magnet I agree wth your points who heartedly. However I also worry for those whom you portray as villains for their abuse of god's words will surly result in eternal suffering. Not only are they corrupting his message but for material gain. I pray that they see the correct path to righteous ness and seek forgiveness for their evil actions before it is too late.

The government is for the people not for the vile souls who attempt to corrupt it.

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"!

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
02-02-2011, 02:32 PM

(02-02-2011 06:54 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(02-02-2011 03:14 AM)creationistpidyn Wrote:  Magnet I agree wth your points who heartedly. However I also worry for those whom you portray as villains for their abuse of god's words will surly result in eternal suffering. Not only are they corrupting his message but for material gain. I pray that they see the correct path to righteous ness and seek forgiveness for their evil actions before it is too late.

CAN I GET AN "AMEN"!

Praise Mighty Allah.. Amen!
Ra, states.. Holy Amen
Zeus, states.. Aww fuck the French...
Benny Hill states.. Where the women at?
03-02-2011, 12:35 AM
You forgot, "Hail Eris."

So many cats, so few good recipes.
16-02-2011, 04:18 PM

I luv it when any politician or news "xpert" mixes politics w/ religion. That is, they always give me LOL. Notice: they luv to preach thier "knowledge" 'til $ comes involved (specially thiers). Just a political scientist's son. Some things never change eh.