Religion in society

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Religion in society
Just a side note before my question... Today is my 21st birthday! Wanted eveyone to know I am thankful for the insightful replies I have had to my threads. I will be posting many more.
As for now. I have a quick question. Yesterday people at campus were talking about if religion will ever die out. Do you all think it will ever die out, if so when? Personally I think that it wont die out, but the impact it has on society will dwindle. Society is becoming more secular. I am happy to see it becoming that way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
RE: Religion in society
latest when humanity dies out. But i think it will die out the next few hundred years. I think first in europe after it in america and last but not least in the middle east^^. In my opinion that´s because since science and knowledge is growing, people don´t need a god anymore who answers them every question. Today there are more unbelievers then ever before (before religion was "invented").
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/show...hp?tid=170

Hope I did that right. Its a link to this very discussion that was had here a while back. You'll find some opinions there.

Just visiting.

-SR
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
My opinion: it won't. It'll weaken, but probably not disappear. At least, not for a long, long time.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM

I really have no opinion on this one. It could disappear soon, it could be in a couple hundreds of years, or it could never happen.
Yet, what if religion really did disappear? Do you think there would be peace - or chaos? What would happen to people who relied on God too much if their faith was to turn into ashes? How about people who'll start committing crime because there's no God to punish them in afterlife? (yeah I know about the legal system, but some actually think they'll get away with it - if there's no God to see it) And what about people who'll get scared because there's no heaven after they die - some might think it's pointless to live this short life they didn't enjoy enough...when they realize this is the one - and only - life we have?
Don't get this the wrong way - I want religion to die. It's always better knowing the truth, even If you don't like it.
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh, also: Happy Birthday!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 12:44 PM by Germanatheist007.)
yes, i forgot. happy birthday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePMU8R131s
08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Happy birthday! Have yourself a great one Smile

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
08-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies and bday wishes everyone.