Religion in the movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 05:57 AM
RE: Religion in the movies
RepossessedTongue
Exorcism as a televised event. In this Linda Blair gets repossessed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Ha. Never even heard of that before.

You know, for some reason I never counted Life of Brian in my list of favourites! Shame on me.....

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
04-01-2014, 04:30 AM
I really enjoyed movies like The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, The Passion of The Christ, Quo Vadis and The Prince of Egypt (animated).

Not (semi-)Biblical, but I also liked The Mission, Becket and The Rite.
04-01-2014, 07:38 AM
You`ll find religion pritty much in anykind of movie, because it`s such an obvious part of society in general.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
05-01-2014, 02:59 AM
One of my favorite movies of all time is What Dreams May Come staring Robin Williams. I love the story, the art, and the concept of hell. Of course, I believe all these to be fictitious, but I see what you mean. Religious concepts make great movies.
[+] 2 users Like jgarciajr686's post
05-01-2014, 03:05 AM
(24-08-2013 01:59 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  By the title, I mean, anything and everything with a religious background - exorcisms, Knights Templar, Salem Witch Trails, angels, cults, etc - to be really entertaining. They are among my favourite kind of movie.

I am an atheist, but I do think the Bible has given us some the best works of fiction in the movies (and in literature). There's quite a bit you can do with it!

My favourites: Dogma, The Devil's Advocate and The Prophecy series (the first 3... the 4th one I haven't seen and haven't felt compelled to, yet).

Anyone have any favourite religious based films?

Smile

Where have you put my prophecy box set? Walken is the man! ... Schindlers List. (As you well know) Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
05-01-2014, 11:13 AM
(05-01-2014 03:05 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 01:59 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  By the title, I mean, anything and everything with a religious background - exorcisms, Knights Templar, Salem Witch Trails, angels, cults, etc - to be really entertaining. They are among my favourite kind of movie.

I am an atheist, but I do think the Bible has given us some the best works of fiction in the movies (and in literature). There's quite a bit you can do with it!

My favourites: Dogma, The Devil's Advocate and The Prophecy series (the first 3... the 4th one I haven't seen and haven't felt compelled to, yet).

Anyone have any favourite religious based films?

Smile

Where have you put my prophecy box set? Walken is the man! ... Schindlers List. (As you well know) Smile

You know where it is Smile In t' cupboard.

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
(03-01-2014 06:52 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  You know, for some reason I never counted Life of Brian in my list of favourites! Shame on me.....

It actually never did much for me, either. I'm a big Monty Python fan, and the Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, but Life of Brian just wasn't that funny. Comedy is hit or miss by nature, and for me that one was mostly a miss.
05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
(05-01-2014 02:59 AM)jgarciajr686 Wrote:  One of my favorite movies of all time is What Dreams May Come staring Robin Williams. I love the story, the art, and the concept of hell. Of course, I believe all these to be fictitious, but I see what you mean. Religious concepts make great movies.

I'm ashamed to admit it (may have to turn in my "man card"), but I liked that movie too. The ending actually made me cry, even though it makes no sense.
05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
(05-01-2014 11:33 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 06:52 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  You know, for some reason I never counted Life of Brian in my list of favourites! Shame on me.....

It actually never did much for me, either. I'm a big Monty Python fan, and the Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, but Life of Brian just wasn't that funny. Comedy is hit or miss by nature, and for me that one was mostly a miss.

Ahh you misunderstood, Grass. I love it which is why I am surprised that I never mentioned it at the start Smile Holy Grail is great also! You're right about comedy though!